Not your old school Bama?!?

R.Bama1980

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 4, 2017
Is this the year the offense carries the defense?
For as long as I remember tough D always carried the team ... until the offense caught up . Thoughts?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Your absolutely right! I guess I’m talking historically Bama ball!!
Today, only Big 12 and non-P5 schools are happy with teams that have to be carried by their offense. Rarely does it win championships. But during the wishbone era, lots of Alabama teams won on the backs of their great offenses.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
How short memories are.....we tried this—a pass happy O with mediocre D and run game— in 1989 and it did not work. We were beaten soundly by an inferior Auburn team and then proceeded to lose our bowl game. Right now I see the same outcome for this season.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
How short memories are.....we tried this—a pass happy O with mediocre D and run game— in 1989 and it did not work. We were beaten soundly by an inferior Auburn team and then proceeded to lose our bowl game. Right now I see the same outcome for this season.
Gloom, Despair and Agony on me!!!!! Ohhhhhhh!!!!

Last edited:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
You play to your strengths, period. Our strength this year is our passing game. It doesn't mean we don't include the running game. But let's be honest, even if the OL improves in the running game. Do we really think it will reach the same level of our passing game? I can comfortably answer that with a resounding "NO". A lot of Alabama fans are so used to the running game being the most talented and being the strength of our offense. But that simply will not be the case this season. So even though we will continue to try to improve the running game and get better at it. We don't need to stubbornly try to win games by not playing to our strength. That would be asinine.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
The biggest thing Alabama can do for right now is try to establish the running game and eat up the clock.

There isn't anything inherently wrong with the defense, but they are beat up and if they keep having to go right back out there on the field they are going to struggle. Saban has said as much, but right now Alabama is stuck in a cycle where yes the offense is potent and puts up a lot of points, but it happens to do it in such a way that they might have to sustain that level of scoring to keep out ahead. A worn out defense can only do so much...

If I wasn't lazy I'd bring up the stats again to show Alabama had has more success when they had a dominant running game, and actually hasn't had much when they had a QB putting up dominating stats. This isn't a knock on Tua, but it just speaks to the importance of establishing a powerful running game and not becoming overly reliant on the passing game.

Last edited:

Tide99

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 18, 2017
Hey since Julio we are WR U. I can't think of another school who's had more talent at the position in the last 10 years. Saban's zero hesitation on 4th & 3 at midfield and putting the ball in Tua's hands with 5 wide really says it all. Plus letting his QB throw out of his own end zone with a 14 point lead.

Saban has NEVER had a QB he would trust to put it in the air in that situation till Tua. It would be get a 1st down on the ground or punt and play D. I feel like there is probably a better chance of a back fumbling than Tua throwing a pick and bet the stats would bear that out.

It would be criminal to stubbornly pound the ball at the expense of Tua and these wideouts. Not to mention Najee is a threat catching the ball out of the backfield. Some of those short quick passes are really the equivalent of runs and force the defense to bring men up into the box or get carved up.

USC had great a gameplan, executed it well, and got solid QB play. If the D can bend but not break and make a few big stops and get a turnover or two like they did we will be just fine with this offense scoring the way they do.

Actually glad they got a game with a competent QB that challenged them a little. That game will help them be ready for LSU.

GCtidefan

1st Team
Sep 23, 2010
Adger, AL
It would be criminal to stubbornly pound the ball at the expense of Tua and these wideouts. Not to mention Najee is a threat catching the ball out of the backfield. Some of those short quick passes are really the equivalent of runs and force the defense to bring men up into the box or get carved up.
Coach Bryant would say "Three things can happen when you throw the ball, and two of those are bad".
3rd and goal from the 4 is tough without a solid run game.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
You play to your strengths, period. Our strength this year is our passing game. It doesn't mean we don't include the running game. But let's be honest, even if the OL improves in the running game. Do we really think it will reach the same level of our passing game? I can comfortably answer that with a resounding "NO". A lot of Alabama fans are so used to the running game being the most talented and being the strength of our offense. But that simply will not be the case this season. So even though we will continue to try to improve the running game and get better at it. We don't need to stubbornly try to win games by not playing to our strength. That would be asinine.
JMO, but I think that Alabama should play to your strengths to build a lead, then focus on the run game. You had better get this figured out before November, and you won't get it figured out if you just keep playing to your strength.

Saban said that he is just taking what the defense gives him. We all get that. But Auburn, LSU and Clemson are not going to give him ANYTHING. They are going to disguise coverages, and the number of men in the box pre-snap will be different than the number of men who remain in the box post-snap. You are going to have to line up and beat them. If you don't have the running game sorted out by then, they will blitz Tua on every snap and try to take out the one player who can beat them.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
JMO, but I think that Alabama should play to your strengths to build a lead, then focus on the run game. You had better get this figured out before November, and you won't get it figured out if you just keep playing to your strength.

Saban said that he is just taking what the defense gives him. We all get that. But Auburn, LSU and Clemson are not going to give him ANYTHING. They are going to disguise coverages, and the number of men in the box pre-snap will be different than the number of men who remain in the box post-snap. You are going to have to line up and beat them. If you don't have the running game sorted out by then, they will blitz Tua on every snap and try to take out the one player who can beat them.
You play to your strength to ensure you win the game and continue to try to improve the running game. I believe I alluded to that in my original post.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Look, I'm not all that worried about the running game between the 20s. We are going to move the ball on everyone including Georgia, LSU, and Clemson.

My worry is the redzone.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
You play to your strength to ensure you win the game and continue to try to improve the running game. I believe I alluded to that in my original post.
I was not criticizing your post - just adding emphasis to the point that there needs to be a greater focus on improving the run game. Win by 14 instead of 24. Heck, win by 1 point, as long as those "wasted" possessions were spent improving the run game.

Fans want Alabama to win big. I want Alabama to win big. But I would rather see Alabama win by a few points and continue to improve every aspect of their play than see what happened last year play out again.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
I was not criticizing your post - just adding emphasis to the point that there needs to be a greater focus on improving the run game. Win by 14 instead of 24. Heck, win by 1 point, as long as those "wasted" possessions were spent improving the run game.

Fans want Alabama to win big. I want Alabama to win big. But I would rather see Alabama win by a few points and continue to improve every aspect of their play than see what happened last year play out again.
I want to see Alabama struggle more during the first half of the season. I think the team and maybe the fans were lulled into a false sense of how good the team was because we were blowing teams out in the first quarter and a half and never being challenged. I loved the USCe game because it was a good mix of struggle, frustration and success.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
A few years ago we played smash-mouth football with a dominating O-line and run game. We have not been successful when we try that lately. I am not sure why. Different type of recruiting priority I suspect but I don't know. We have awesome RBs but seem to lacking in high ranked linemen.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I want to see Alabama struggle more during the first half of the season. I think the team and maybe the fans were lulled into a false sense of how good the team was because we were blowing teams out in the first quarter and a half and never being challenged. I loved the USCe game because it was a good mix of struggle, frustration and success.
I think you are going to really enjoy this season while I am throwing things at the boob tube. ;) Er ….. boob flat screen streamer.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.