Another Bama player lost for the year: Labryan Ray (Update: Out Indefinitely)

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Re: Another Bama player lost for the year: Labryan Ray this time

Does anyone remember when he actually hurt his foot the first time... was it during the Clemson game or during Spring workouts/spring game? I read he had surgery on his foot or ankle this summer but I just don't recall when he hurt it originally. It's the same foot this time. I wonder if he had the same type of surgery Jalen and Tua had?

I sure hope he can be back for the LSU game and beyond. If not, I guess he will redshirt and will have to wait until next season.

We need a lot of DL and LB in this next recruiting cycle just because of injuries each year. I also wish players would stay their senior year sometimes, which would help with depth, injuries, etc ( kind of like the 4 guys from Clemson stayed last year).
Ray was hurt in fall camp. We can load up on DL and LBs as much, and still could see a string of WRs getting hurt... So the solution wouldn't work. We've done pretty good job of loading up on DL and LBs. This cycle... We're more balanced.. recuiting for both sides (WR, OL, LBs, DT, RB, QB, and maybe TE)

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

Personally, we don't need Ray until Tennessee game. Give him time to heal up completely.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA

I just read he had surgery today and he posted it went well. Wonder if it was the tightrope procedure? Hope he’s back for LSU and that nobody else gets injured.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

I just read he had surgery today and he posted it went well. Wonder if it was the tightrope procedure? Hope he’s back for LSU and that nobody else gets injured.
Very likely. He had same injury he had in fall camp.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011

Ray was hurt in fall camp. We can load up on DL and LBs as much, and still could see a string of WRs getting hurt... So the solution wouldn't work. We've done pretty good job of loading up on DL and LBs. This cycle... We're more balanced.. recuiting for both sides (WR, OL, LBs, DT, RB, QB, and maybe TE)
agree on DL. LB I think we got a lot of depth at OLB, but could have used one more ILB in addition to Harris and Lee. Although I guess 2 in a year is pretty good most of the time, the couple of years before them was lean. it still confuses me (easy, I know) that with our ILB development track record or top picks (mcclain, hightower, mosely, foster, hamilton, evans - essentially every starter other than depriest, johnson and wilson <who is now on fire - clearly last season was playing to not get hurt> in the Saban era) that we had trouble getting some of the top guys on our board even with Smartt and Pruitt leaving.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

agree on DL. LB I think we got a lot of depth at OLB, but could have used one more ILB in addition to Harris and Lee. Although I guess 2 in a year is pretty good most of the time, the couple of years before them was lean. it still confuses me (easy, I know) that with our ILB development track record or top picks (mcclain, hightower, mosely, foster, hamilton, evans - essentially every starter other than depriest, johnson and wilson <who is now on fire - clearly last season was playing to not get hurt> in the Saban era) that we had trouble getting some of the top guys on our board even with Smartt and Pruitt leaving.
Completely agree. I'm not bashing Lee but he's an old school "thumper" inside linebacker. Runs something like a 4.75 40 so he struggles athletically to track down plays in space or to the perimeter of the field. He's pretty good in between the tackles but anything out in space or coverage he struggles with. Not sure how he stays on the field vs spread teams with elite speed like LSU, AU etc..

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Injured Alabama defensive lineman to be out for extended period

[FONT=&quot]Alabama will be without preseason All-SEC defensive end LaBryan Ray for a significant period of time.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Ray underwent surgery Tuesday on his injured ankle/foot. Ray will be out indefinitely, according to sources, but there is a chance the junior could return later in the season and maybe even in time for the Crimson Tide’s game against LSU in early November.[/FONT]

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Completely agree. I'm not bashing Lee but he's an old school "thumper" inside linebacker. Runs something like a 4.75 40 so he struggles athletically to track down plays in space or to the perimeter of the field. He's pretty good in between the tackles but anything out in space or coverage he struggles with. Not sure how he stays on the field vs spread teams with elite speed like LSU, AU etc..
He is slow, but he turns his hips very quickly, and has great instincts. He is doomed if he has to chase a RB down the field in coverage, but he can handle slants and quick outs. You just have to understand his strengths. Harris and Kaho are much faster, but don't have his instincts.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

He is slow, but he turns his hips very quickly, and has great instincts. He is doomed if he has to chase a RB down the field in coverage, but he can handle slants and quick outs. You just have to understand his strengths. Harris and Kaho are much faster, but don't have his instincts.
Plus he hits hard enough that people will not enjoy going into his area

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA

was it a high ankle sprain?
The article said foot/ankle, so I am not sure what it was but it did say he may be back later in the season. That's why I think it may be the tightrope like Jalen and Tua had but I could be wrong.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA

I forgot the bogus call. Mathis has experience, and has done well in the rotation.
I am afraid that BAMA will get many more bogus calls this year, as usual... and the other team will have less penalties.

Let's hope that does not happen in tight games, especially LSU, Auburn, etc.

I still don't know why Saban or some assistant in the upstairs box did not see or call timeout to ask for a replay of the touchdown Forristall made that was clearly inbounds yet called out of bounds. Imagine if that was a game winning TD. And the targeting call was not targeting either.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.