Offensive Coordinator Comparison 2019 to 2018

VirginiaTide57

All-American
Jan 19, 2005
Fredericksburg, Virginia
For you policy wonks, what's your analysis of the play calling this year compared to last? Or is it too early to tell as the competition won't stiffen for a few weeks? Are there most pass attempts to backs this year? Is the offensive line so unsettled that a running game we've seen in years past won't be there this year?
Seems the offense can score at will but it puts stress on the defense. How do you reconcile that?

BamaMike05

All-American
Jul 4, 2009
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
Sark will be gone(again) after the conclusion of the season. Does that tell you what I think of his play- calling?
You’ve got to be kidding me. What else do you want from him? Tua’s play is at another level this year, with Sark being his position coach. Sark is calling plays based on what the D is giving us. Sark has been really good this year.

This coming from a falcons fan that was very unhappy with Sark in Atlanta. But, this isn’t the NFL.

If you look at the little nuances of our O, he’s installed an incredible offense. It’s west coast principles, mixed with some Air Raid concepts, mixed with some really good RPO’s. He also has Tua making pre snap RPO reads, which he has read correctly nearly every time. I mean what more do you want? Yes the running game needs to gel, but that comes with the line playing together. It will happen. There was improvement yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
You tell me...

(Just Tua's numbers)

2018, first three games:
36/50, (72%) 646 yards, 8 TDs, 103 yards rushing (1 TD)

2019, first three games:
70/91, (77%) 1,007 yards, 12 TDs, 36 yards rushing (1 TD)

Last edited:

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Sarkisian is a much better choice as OC than Locksley. All you have to see is Tua finding the open check down receiver rather than forcing a throw. My concern with our current passing offense is that the better teams, LSU, UGA, and auburn will make those quick slant routes harder to complete because they have better athletes in the secondary and are better coached. I still contend that without an effective running game, especially in the red zone, will come back to bite us at some point.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Sarkisian is a much better choice as OC than Locksley. All you have to see is Tua finding the open check down receiver rather than forcing a throw. My concern with our current passing offense is that the better teams, LSU, UGA, and auburn will make those quick slant routes harder to complete because they have better athletes in the secondary and are better coached. I still contend that without an effective running game, especially in the red zone, will come back to bite us at some point.
USCe is considered to have an above average secondary.

Plus, we aren’t using much of the playbook at this point.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
SMy concern with our current passing offense is that the better teams, LSU, UGA, and auburn will make those quick slant routes harder to complete because they have better athletes in the secondary and are better coached.
Not sure those secondaries are that much better than SCe's, but regardless, these Bama receivers make jumping those slants really tough - bite too early and they can turn the route up field, wait and they may be gone before you can react.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Stats comparisons from last year to this year, 3 games in (FYI - this year you played much better defenses in the first 3 games than last year):

2018: Rushing - 710 yards, Passing -- 924 yards, Total yards - 1634, 170 points scored
2019: Rushing - 539 yards, Passing - 1147 yards, Total yards - 1686, 151 points scored

Very similar totals, but clearly more reliant on the pass game to get you home than last year. As th season goes on, those gaps will continue to broaden.

However, last year's early passing stats were built almost entirely on home run balls, which better defenses took away. This year's passing stats are built almost entirely on an NFL style attack, with an emphasis on short passes and allowing your receivers to make defenders tackle them in space.

My early takeaway:

1 - Last year you were taking the top off of the weaker defenses with these plays, which opened up the running game, producing better rushing stats.
2 - Last year's strategy was not sustainable against better defenses. If they were able to take away the home run ball, the rest of the offense became pretty mundane.
3 - This year's offense is a lot less vulnerable to that weakness against better defenses, but it puts all of the pressure on Tua. It would be better if you established a running game to compliment the short passing game to avoid getting Tua killed.

Pilot172000

1st Team
Sep 25, 2017
Winnsboro, LA
1. It feels like teams are going to sell out on the run and rely on their secondary to take up the slack. That's why we are burning them on the slants and Tua's numbers are crazy.
2. A lot of inexperience on the line should make Alabama fans grateful we don't have to play anybody until Texas A&M. Same issues on Defense.
3. We will have to find balance but I don't see us opening up our playbook anytime soon since we don't play anybody worthy.

EnterBama

Scout Team
Oct 24, 2018
For you policy wonks, what's your analysis of the play calling this year compared to last? Or is it too early to tell as the competition won't stiffen for a few weeks? Are there most pass attempts to backs this year? Is the offensive line so unsettled that a running game we've seen in years past won't be there this year?
Seems the offense can score at will but it puts stress on the defense. How do you reconcile that?
I have concerns about the lack of a good running game but I don't know that that's a because of play calling. It seems to be more of an OLine and RB problem than play calling.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Running game by far is my biggest concern. We need to get back to smash mouth football with the o line being road graders. rtr
In order to do that, the passing game and pass blocking will take a hit.

The best thing for that aspect will to get a consist OL grouping that can gel after being on the field together for an extend period of time.

ChattTide

All-SEC
Jul 20, 2000
Memphis, TN
My question is what has Saban always said about playmakers? He has always said we need to get the ball in the hands of the playmakers and let them run.

I do believe we need to establish a consistent running game, but I don't think it really matters to Saban right now. Where is the strength of this team? The quarterback and receivers are clearly head and shoulders above all other units right now because they have more experience. The running backs we have are good, but are not consistent enough to run between the tackles. Why not get them the ball in space from a quarterback who can get it to you? Are we really going to sacrifice yardage just so we can turn around and hand the ball off to someone for the stats? I think Saban and the coaches know at the end of the day we need to improve in many areas, but the first thing you need to keep in mind is you play to win the game. (Cue Herm Edwards)

Folks, this is something we are not used to at Alabama. We've been used to 3 yards and a cloud of dust and rely on defense to shut them down. With the talent we have now, and, more importantly, the injuries on D we have right now, I believe we are getting some quality play calling for an offense that is loaded with some of the best that has ever been at Alabama. I think Sark has called 3 great games and has Tua looking for what the defense is giving him. I no longer see us trying to hit the home run every time, but I see the playmakers making plays like their supposed to. This is a true NFL style offense, in my opinion, and it is working.

There is a reason there is a phrase "Tanking for Tua." I think teams are now drooling even more.

Roll Tide!!
ChattTide

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I have concerns about the lack of a good running game but I don't know that that's a because of play calling. It seems to be more of an OLine and RB problem than play calling.
Running game by far is my biggest concern. We need to get back to smash mouth football with the o line being road graders. rtr
We are running a pass first offense. It's done to set up the running game. Has nothing to do with playcalling. We move people around at OL too much. We need consistency there and we will be fine. RBs need to trust the hole they get. They did much better against SC, but I expect things to get better in coming weeks.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Tua is getting the ball out quicker, the offense is much more varied, and we are unstoppable as long as he stays upright. To that end, I am pleased he's not taking a lot of hits by running the ball right now.

We've got the #1 overall draft pick at QB, at least 4 first round talents at WR, and an OL that is a competent pass blocking unit. You have to dance with the one that brought you to the prom, you've got to be yourself, and whatever other cliche you want to use. I think Sark is playing to our strengths and adjusting where necessary much better than Locksley did.

I do not think we'll be replacing him at the end of the year. At least, I HOPE not.. We need continuity in our coordinator ranks.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.