Offensive Coordinator Comparison 2019 to 2018
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    BamaNation All-SEC

Offensive Coordinator Comparison 2019 to 2018

For you policy wonks, what's your analysis of the play calling this year compared to last? Or is it too early to tell as the competition won't stiffen for a few weeks? Are there most pass attempts to backs this year? Is the offensive line so unsettled that a running game we've seen in years past won't be there this year?
    Seems the offense can score at will but it puts stress on the defense. How do you reconcile that?

BamaNation Hall of Fame CajunCrimson's Avatar

Re: Offensive Coordinator Comparison 2019 to 2018

Tua is saving his body yet putting up better numbers
    Doc Holliday: [to Johnny Ringo, after shooting him in a duel] You're no daisy! You're no daisy at all. Poor soul, you were just too high strung

BamaNation Hall of Fame deliveryman35's Avatar

Sark will be gone(again) after the conclusion of the season. Does that tell you what I think of his play- calling?
    "Football is a hard game. These spread coaches forget that. Until good defenses remind them." Gene Stallings

Quote Originally Posted by deliveryman35 View Post
    Sark will be gone(again) after the conclusion of the season. Does that tell you what I think of his play- calling?
    Geez. Do you really think Saban has that little input on things?
    Doc Holliday: [to Johnny Ringo, after shooting him in a duel] You're no daisy! You're no daisy at all. Poor soul, you were just too high strung

You’ve got to be kidding me. What else do you want from him? Tua’s play is at another level this year, with Sark being his position coach. Sark is calling plays based on what the D is giving us. Sark has been really good this year.

This coming from a falcons fan that was very unhappy with Sark in Atlanta. But, this isn’t the NFL.

If you look at the little nuances of our O, he’s installed an incredible offense. It’s west coast principles, mixed with some Air Raid concepts, mixed with some really good RPO’s. He also has Tua making pre snap RPO reads, which he has read correctly nearly every time. I mean what more do you want? Yes the running game needs to gel, but that comes with the line playing together. It will happen. There was improvement yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaNation First Team

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here?”. Oddball, Kelley’s Heroes

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by Jkl0802 View Post
    “Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here?”. Oddball, Kelley’s Heroes
    Great movie. Sarcastic and well played.

Super Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar

Well, Sark displays less stubbornness in his play-calling than the previous OC and more imaginativeness and adaptability.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

You tell me...

(Just Tua's numbers)

2018, first three games:
    36/50, (72%) 646 yards, 8 TDs, 103 yards rushing (1 TD)

2019, first three games:
    70/91, (77%) 1,007 yards, 12 TDs, 36 yards rushing (1 TD)
    Last edited by crimsonaudio; September 16th, 2019 at 05:24 PM.
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

Sarkisian is a much better choice as OC than Locksley. All you have to see is Tua finding the open check down receiver rather than forcing a throw. My concern with our current passing offense is that the better teams, LSU, UGA, and auburn will make those quick slant routes harder to complete because they have better athletes in the secondary and are better coached. I still contend that without an effective running game, especially in the red zone, will come back to bite us at some point.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    Sarkisian is a much better choice as OC than Locksley. All you have to see is Tua finding the open check down receiver rather than forcing a throw. My concern with our current passing offense is that the better teams, LSU, UGA, and auburn will make those quick slant routes harder to complete because they have better athletes in the secondary and are better coached. I still contend that without an effective running game, especially in the red zone, will come back to bite us at some point.
    USCe is considered to have an above average secondary.

Plus, we aren’t using much of the playbook at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    SMy concern with our current passing offense is that the better teams, LSU, UGA, and auburn will make those quick slant routes harder to complete because they have better athletes in the secondary and are better coached.
    Not sure those secondaries are that much better than SCe's, but regardless, these Bama receivers make jumping those slants really tough - bite too early and they can turn the route up field, wait and they may be gone before you can react.
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Stats comparisons from last year to this year, 3 games in (FYI - this year you played much better defenses in the first 3 games than last year):

2018: Rushing - 710 yards, Passing -- 924 yards, Total yards - 1634, 170 points scored
    2019: Rushing - 539 yards, Passing - 1147 yards, Total yards - 1686, 151 points scored

Very similar totals, but clearly more reliant on the pass game to get you home than last year. As th season goes on, those gaps will continue to broaden.

However, last year's early passing stats were built almost entirely on home run balls, which better defenses took away. This year's passing stats are built almost entirely on an NFL style attack, with an emphasis on short passes and allowing your receivers to make defenders tackle them in space.

My early takeaway:

1 - Last year you were taking the top off of the weaker defenses with these plays, which opened up the running game, producing better rushing stats.
    2 - Last year's strategy was not sustainable against better defenses. If they were able to take away the home run ball, the rest of the offense became pretty mundane.
    3 - This year's offense is a lot less vulnerable to that weakness against better defenses, but it puts all of the pressure on Tua. It would be better if you established a running game to compliment the short passing game to avoid getting Tua killed.