Offensive Coordinator Comparison 2019 to 2018

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
As I stated before, Only issue I have with Sark is that he can call a bonehead play or two once in a while. I mentioned there was a series where he called 3 straight runs to the left side.. I can't remember.. it was in first half.

Another thing, we may see RPO offense early in season, but we may not see much of that in October and November...

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
I think Sark's done well so far, I like what I'm seeing (mostly) from him. Regarding the running game, I went back and watched the SC game on DVR and we really ran the ball better than I thought when watching live. We just didn't try to run very much because SC was often stacking the box. I saw improvement in both OL run blocking and RBs pressing the holes - still occasionally too much dancing around, but better. What was bad much too often was TE blocking - got to get better there. So overall, I thought we progressed, but still plenty of work to do.

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
I’ve always thought it was necessary to have a good running attack to be successful. However, the game is changing and backs are being used differently. Take this last game with USCe for example. If you attribute yards to position groups the RB’s did good...it just happens that they received some passes as well as handoffs. Something else to consider. Bama is becoming a pass first offense. In the past we were a run first offense that just had to use the talents of a great passer because of the defense stacking the line. Now we prefer to pass to elite receivers and use our RB’s in both ways. This is definitely not your dad’s kind of team....in fact it’s not even the kind of team we grew up with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I’ve always thought it was necessary to have a good running attack to be successful. However, the game is changing and backs are being used differently. Take this last game with USCe for example. If you attribute yards to position groups the RB’s did good...it just happens that they received some passes as well as handoffs. Something else to consider. Bama is becoming a pass first offense. In the past we were a run first offense that just had to use the talents of a great passer because of the defense stacking the line. Now we prefer to pass to elite receivers and use our RB’s in both ways. This is definitely not your dad’s kind of team....in fact it’s not even the kind of team we grew up with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LOL, it is a FARRRRR cry from the Gene Stallings days that is for sure. And that wasn't that long ago!

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
As I stated before, Only issue I have with Sark is that he can call a bonehead play or two once in a while. I mentioned there was a series where he called 3 straight runs to the left side.. I can't remember.. it was in first half.

Another thing, we may see RPO offense early in season, but we may not see much of that in October and November...
Two of those plays could have been TDs - Najee totally misread the blocking. They were good play calls, poorly executed by Najee. You have to do more of that in the red zone, not less, to get better at it.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Two of those plays could have been TDs - Najee totally misread the blocking. They were good play calls, poorly executed by Najee. You have to do more of that in the red zone, not less, to get better at it.
Exactly. and You know what else we haven't seen yet? All 4 receivers on the field yet. I think they are saving that for Games in November.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I'm not sure those were bonehead calls nor, perhaps, even his calls. I think it was more likely that Saban simply wanted to see what would happen...

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
Obviously they struggled very early against Duke, getting in sync....but this O and the calls from Sark are creating an unstoppable offense. The run game will come along as the OL gels, Brown comes back after Southern Miss...that will help tons.

Tua has to stay healthy. The D, super young, has to get playing time and experience....

We could be witnessing a Heisman campaign for Tua and another Biletnikoff for Jeudy. And Najee is going to be insane out of the backfield, receiving. Once a running game comes behind a gelling OL this offense could be all time great, at least as far as Bama or the SEC.

D just needs to do enough, force turnovers.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
Obviously they struggled very early against Duke, getting in sync....but this O and the calls from Sark are creating an unstoppable offense. The run game will come along as the OL gels, Brown comes back after Southern Miss...that will help tons.

Tua has to stay healthy. The D, super young, has to get playing time and experience....

We could be witnessing a Heisman campaign for Tua and another Biletnikoff for Jeudy. And Najee is going to be insane out of the backfield, receiving. Once a running game comes behind a gelling OL this offense could be all time great, at least as far as Bama or the SEC.

……. and we've yet to scratch the surface with K-Rob! Kid is gonna be a stud once he figures out how to play at this level.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
I wasn't sold on Sark as OC but I have been happy with how he's called games this year.

I'd look at Flood's direction for the lack of running game. Although the RBs aren't very good this year either compared to previous years.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I wasn't sold on Sark as OC but I have been happy with how he's called games this year.

I'd look at Flood's direction for the lack of running game. Although the RBs aren't very good this year either compared to previous years.

I'm not sure that's fair or even correct right now.

We have 4 RB's on pace to rush for 500+ yards each right now which is kind of amazing when you consider they aren't getting as many touches AND they aren't given big holes to run through often.

Najee: 31 Carries for 156 Yards 5.03 YPC and 1 TD, 6 Rec for 99 yards and 2 TD's

BRob: 28 Carries for 99 Yards 3.54 YPC and 1TD, 3 Rec for 51 yards

KRob: 11 Carries for 97 Yards 8.82 YPC and 1TD

Ford: 11 Carries for 69 Yards 6.27 YPC and TD

I feel that if we can get some consistent above average to good OL blocking going forward then our RB's this year will collectively match up with most past RB stables.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
If the staff decides to go five-wide with Metchie out there with the absurd quartet, defenses will be in some serious trouble.
WR Jerry Jeudy
WR Henry Ruggs III
WR DeVonta Smith
WR Jaylen Waddle
WR John Metchie

And Najee catching out of backfield.... We could in theory go 4 or 5 out... that would stretch the defense so thin....

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

Again, we have to keep that in mind, it's not necessary the RBs... We are first pass offense for now. Teams are bring 6 to 9 people down the box...

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I'm not sure those were bonehead calls nor, perhaps, even his calls. I think it was more likely that Saban simply wanted to see what would happen...
Earle, That may be the case, but why waste a series to see what might work? Try 1 or 2 run... then get a first down... then try again...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
WR Jerry Jeudy
WR Henry Ruggs III
WR DeVonta Smith
WR Jaylen Waddle
WR John Metchie

And Najee catching out of backfield.... We could in theory go 4 or 5 out... that would stretch the defense so thin....
That comes close to being "unstoppable," and Loxley's designated receiver offense was a travesty, with that kind of talent available...

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

From what I saw Saturday, the defense needs to learn how to tackle, then worry about turnovers.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.