Question: How should a team handle Clemson's 3-2-6 defense

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
One other note - if they are really running this on every down, I cannot see how they can set the edge on both ends of their defense on every play. Both of your RBs excel at running off-tackle.

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland
One other note - if they are really running this on every down, I cannot see how they can set the edge on both ends of their defense on every play. Both of your RBs excel at running off-tackle.
I did not watch all of Clemson's last 2 games, but saw enough to think they are at least running it more frequently, and definitely on more than just passing downs. I don't have a coach's Xs & Os knowledge, but do know basics. I was a student at USC in 1987 and it looks & sounds a lot like what Dunn was running then. The DEs were sized more like LBs and at least one of the LBs was more of an oversized safety. That year USC blitzed someone on almost every down, even more than Venables does.

I'm still curious as to why the change. Is the dropoff in DL talent/experience enough to warrant this or, given Clemson's incredibly soft schedule, is he looking ahead to likely cfp teams and seeing mostly spread & passing offenses? Is this D better suited to confuse QBs in the trendy (and grossly overrated) RPO offenses everyone is running now...or some of all of this?

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Again, Clemson using the regular season to prepare for Alabama. This seems like a good D to employ vs Bama.
Really? I would think that you’d have to keep 6 in coverage at least. That means we have 6 on 5 at that point. Tua will eat that up. Can’t double all of them.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I did not watch all of Clemson's last 2 games, but saw enough to think they are at least running it more frequently, and definitely on more than just passing downs. I don't have a coach's Xs & Os knowledge, but do know basics. I was a student at USC in 1987 and it looks & sounds a lot like what Dunn was running then. The DEs were sized more like LBs and at least one of the LBs was more of an oversized safety. That year USC blitzed someone on almost every down, even more than Venables does.

I'm still curious as to why the change. Is the dropoff in DL talent/experience enough to warrant this or, given Clemson's incredibly soft schedule, is he looking ahead to likely cfp teams and seeing mostly spread & passing offenses? Is this D better suited to confuse QBs in the trendy (and grossly overrated) RPO offenses everyone is running now...or some of all of this?
I can see a few reasons for the change. The obvious is to take advantage of their depth and experience in the back end of their defense. It should be noted that their LBs are also inexperienced, not just their d-linemen, so this keeps more experienced guys on the field. But this defense cannot hold up against a solid run game. You can pick up 3-5 yards on the ground on any given play against this defense. Jalen Hurts would eat this defense for lunch in any situation other than 3rd and long.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Really? I would think that you’d have to keep 6 in coverage at least. That means we have 6 on 5 at that point. Tua will eat that up. Can’t double all of them.
The trick is that they disguise their coverages. They run man, cover 2, cover 3 and mixed man/zone coverages out of this defensive alignment, and you do not know until after the snap which it is. So Tua has to make his read post-snap, and there is a blitzer coming for him, so he has to do it fast - really fast. This is why you brought in Sark - to teach him to do that, and to put in plays that allow him to get the ball out of his hand really fast.

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
First off I am not a defensive guru as many of you are when it comes to such defenses. That being said my observation of Clemson so far this season is Georgia Tech and Syracuse. Enough said about those two teams. Texas A&M from what little I watched of the first half had some big play opportunities that Mond overthrew. Probably at least a couple scores squandered in the short time I watched. Mond looked nervous, and I didn't watch enough after that to see how he played after that.

Bama marched the ball up and down the field on Clemson in the championship game, but when Bama got in the red zone that defensive line which did not need blitzes from the backers, to put enough pressure on Tua and the running game to stymie the offense once the field was shortened. Giving up a pick six and another interception which was un-Tua like hurt Bama, not to mention Clemson's offense had one of those games they couldn't do any wrong.

Bama needed more big long plays for scores instead of drives into the red zone in the championship game and if Clemson has to settle for gambling, blitzing to put pressure on Tua those big plays should be there for the taking with Bama's offense. All depends on execution of course but who would you rather have than Tua and our receivers to make them happen? Tua has already got like 12 td's to 0 interceptions while Trevor Lawrence already has 5 int's, one more than he had all of last season! Sophomore slump? Probably not but folks are figuring him out after his first season I think.

Hopefully Bama can make it back to play Clemson in the championship game this season. Don't think we will see the same results from last season if we do, at least from the offense! Likely to see another shootout unless the defense can stiffen up between now and then. Long way to go! :)

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
Clemson’s offense is not that impressive right now. I think they would struggle with Oklahoma’s offense which would use Hurts like a power running back. 56-63 type game.

We will see when Cornbread comes back. He was an excellent run blocker last season. I hope he is in shape and motivated. If so, I’d counter all those blitzes by running right up the gut. A rb can be past 6 of the defensive players with lots of room in about three strides.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Coverage is not the weakness (there's 6 DBs - also, the O can have 5 receivers at most on a play) but running between the tackles. (See B1GTide's earlier posts about this.)

editder

All-SEC
Nov 2, 2017
First off I am not a defensive guru as many of you are when it comes to such defenses. That being said my observation of Clemson so far this season is Georgia Tech and Syracuse. Enough said about those two teams. Texas A&M from what little I watched of the first half had some big play opportunities that Mond overthrew. Probably at least a couple scores squandered in the short time I watched. Mond looked nervous, and I didn't watch enough after that to see how he played after that.

Bama marched the ball up and down the field on Clemson in the championship game, but when Bama got in the red zone that defensive line which did not need blitzes from the backers, to put enough pressure on Tua and the running game to stymie the offense once the field was shortened. Giving up a pick six and another interception which was un-Tua like hurt Bama, not to mention Clemson's offense had one of those games they couldn't do any wrong.

Bama needed more big long plays for scores instead of drives into the red zone in the championship game and if Clemson has to settle for gambling, blitzing to put pressure on Tua those big plays should be there for the taking with Bama's offense. All depends on execution of course but who would you rather have than Tua and our receivers to make them happen? Tua has already got like 12 td's to 0 interceptions while Trevor Lawrence already has 5 int's, one more than he had all of last season! Sophomore slump? Probably not but folks are figuring him out after his first season I think.

Hopefully Bama can make it back to play Clemson in the championship game this season. Don't think we will see the same results from last season if we do, at least from the offense! Likely to see another shootout unless the defense can stiffen up between now and then. Long way to go! :)
He's not that accurate a passer; he just throws the ball up in the air, and those 6' 4" receivers are able to grab it.

EnterBama

Scout Team
Oct 24, 2018
Like you I didn't watch the whole game but what I saw Mond just did not look good. I remember one play in or near the red zone where he had a wide open receiver with lots of green grass to the end zone. He threw the ball high and hard for an incompletion when he should have just flip it.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
Question:

Against a blitzing, aggressive defense, isn’t the best option passes to the RB (wheel routes, screens, etc) and quick passes to the WR (bubble screens, slants, etc)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Question:

Against a blitzing, aggressive defense, isn’t the best option passes to the RB (wheel routes, screens, etc) and quick passes to the WR (bubble screens, slants, etc)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Depends on the defense. If the corners are playing zone or off man, yes. If the defenders are playing press man, no. Screens are hard to run against this defense, but wheel routes will be open.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Throw the ball to Najee.
Exactly. Several times during the Syracuse game the RB was completely uncovered coming out of the backfield. Syracuse exploited it a few times. Our RBs were open coming out of the backfield last year. No defense is perfect and this is a big flaw of what Clemson does..

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland
I can see a few reasons for the change. The obvious is to take advantage of their depth and experience in the back end of their defense. It should be noted that their LBs are also inexperienced, not just their d-linemen, so this keeps more experienced guys on the field. But this defense cannot hold up against a solid run game. You can pick up 3-5 yards on the ground on any given play against this defense. Jalen Hurts would eat this defense for lunch in any situation other than 3rd and long.
True on Hurts, but OU still a pass-first offense. On the other hand, I would think Ohio State would be licking their chops to face this defense.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.