2020 Prospect: ***** 5* QB Bryce Young Commits to Bama *****

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Your previous post made it sound like a player who doesn't have success in the NFL was not a great football player. That is where we disagree. Alabama has had some great players who did not work out in the NFL for a long list of reasons, but they were exactly what Alabama needed to win championships at Alabama, and they were great players.

I want to recruit and land the players that my teams require to win championships. Period. For their sake I hope that they have financial success later in life, wherever that may be. But I do not equate greatness with NFL success.

AJ was a GREAT QB - one of the best to ever play college football. That didn't change because he didn't become a great NFL QB.
Could not agree more.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Your previous post made it sound like a player who doesn't have success in the NFL was not a great football player.
This One? "All that is true, but other than AJ, who is only a backup, where are the results?"

You're a great poster here and you should know at this point that I'm first and foremost a Bama fan and interested in seeing our guys succeed at the college level and win NCs. So I think you were reading too much into my statement that was primarily about QBs (remember this is a thread about a QB recruit). "Where are the results" was a reference to our great QBs not making it to the league, not that they weren't great at Bama. Surely, the context should be taken into consideration, right???

AJ was a GREAT QB - one of the best to ever play college football. That didn't change because he didn't become a great NFL QB
AJ is my all time favorite QB at Bama. As much as I love what Tua has done and probably will do in the NFL, I think AJM is the epitome of Bama football.

As much as I love him, I guess there's a reason he never broke thru and landed a starting gig. My recent comments were simply that we seem to be recruiting a slightly different kind of QB that probably will translate more into the current NFL QB scheme. Tua and (I hope) Young fit that mold.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
My recent comments were simply that we seem to be recruiting a slightly different kind of QB that probably will translate more into the current NFL QB scheme. Tua and (I hope) Young fit that mold.
This is probably true, but it won't make Alabama win any more championships than if you just kept landing kids like Mac Jones. Cool to watch these guys play on Sundays. OSU has 5 starters on the Saints, so the game last night was fun tto watch for many reasons. But I am not convinced that you will win more for them. You just will win differently.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
This is probably true, but it won't make Alabama win any more championships than if you just kept landing kids like Mac Jones. Cool to watch these guys play on Sundays. OSU has 5 starters on the Saints, so the game last night was fun tto watch for many reasons. But I am not convinced that you will win more for them. You just will win differently.
That remains to be seen, but, one undeniable point is that without Tua rescuing us in '17 we wouldn't have our last NC and we wouldn't have one since 2015.

I think all of us are fairly shocked Tua won't be responsible for another NC at Bama, but I think more talented QBs will certainly not hurt our chances to be in contention.

FWIW, I get that we won NC with less talented guys like Gmac and Coker, but it seems the game has changed in just the last couple of years with what's going on the defensive side of the ball.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
I hate to be the "I read" guy....but....I read that capacity will shrink to about 96K...

Nah, last that I heard is that they shelved the Student Terrace plan and the capacity won't change...

I wonder if they are still going to do the renovation of the outside of the stadium to make it look like the Super Dome?:conf3:

Would be a huge plus for recruiting... :cool2:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
What time is Young's championship game being played today??? Is it on TV? I'd love to record it and watch it later.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I'm seriously late to the party regarding this kid. Is this kid that good? We've got Tua's younger brother, Jones and Tyson currently on the roster. Do y'all think this kid's good enough to come in and be good enough to beat out (specifically Jones) the QB's already on the roster? Because the one's already on the roster are pretty good.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I'm seriously late to the party regarding this kid. Is this kid that good? We've got Tua's younger brother, Jones and Tyson currently on the roster. Do y'all think this kid's good enough to come in and be good enough to beat out (specifically Jones) the QB's already on the roster? Because the one's already on the roster are pretty good.
Jones? Probably not, but only because Jones has such a huge lead. Young looks to be more talented than any QB not named Tua to play at Alabama in the last 30 years.

But he is not perfect. He made some serious mistakes in his last game this weekend and his team lost. It happens to the best of them.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
He still threw for 400+ and 5 TDS against the #2 HS FB team in the country...Not tooo shabby...
Jones? Probably not, but only because Jones has such a huge lead. Young looks to be more talented than any QB not named Tua to play at Alabama in the last 30 years.

But he is not perfect. He made some serious mistakes in his last game this weekend and his team lost. It happens to the best of them.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
He still threw for 400+ and 5 TDS against the #2 HS FB team in the country...Not tooo shabby...
Agreed - he is a gun slinger. Think he had 3 INTs and a fumble. Like I said - it happens. That game will help him become a better player.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
One was a Hail Mary at the end of the game...but you're 100% correct, the other 3 TOs don't look great....
Agreed - he is a gun slinger. Think he had 3 INTs and a fumble. Like I said - it happens. That game will help him become a better player.

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL

Not sold Jones has the job by October. If Young is as advanced as scouts are saying, and being there for the spring he could get the job before the season is out.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Not sold Jones has the job by October. If Young is as advanced as scouts are saying, and being there for the spring he could get the job before the season is out.
The reality is simple - If Jones is still the starting QB when you get to November it will be because he is having a great season, not because Saban has no other choices. Quality depth at QB - it is a beautiful thing.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I have to say the this young man is winning me over quickly. I like to hear the buy in that he apparently has. This is a good leadership sign.
He has been trying to get other players to come to Alabama for a while. Can't wait to see him in Crimson.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
He has been trying to get other players to come to Alabama for a while. Can't wait to see him in Crimson.
Best to keep guys like him in the South and West. As soon as the rest of the Big Ten starts using mobile quarterbacks the sooner you guys have to work a little harder on defense lol lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.