Alabama vs Ole Miss will be a 2:30 kick on CBS

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
It was either Ole Miss @ Alabama or Mississippi State @ Auburn. Alabama being undefeated and possessing a Heisman favorite made it an obvious choice.

Not much to fault with this selection.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Hey, it's not 815 pm like in 2012 or 2015.

I'm gonna try and not sound like a jerk here, but it sure seems like no matter what time we have a kickoff, there's somebody sure to complain about it. 11 am is too early, 8 pm is too late, 230 has bad announcers even though Verne's been gone for a few years now, 130 is a hell hot heat stroke waiting to happen, 6 pm is bad if you're facing west sunset something something.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
It was either Ole Miss @ Alabama or Mississippi State @ Auburn. Alabama being undefeated and possessing a Heisman favorite made it an obvious choice.

Not much to fault with this selection.
And State losing to the Escapees from Manhattan sealed the deal.

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa

I'm gonna try and not sound like a jerk here, but it sure seems like no matter what time we have a kickoff, there's somebody sure to complain about it. 11 am is too early, 8 pm is too late, 230 has bad announcers even though Verne's been gone for a few years now, 130 is a hell hot heat stroke waiting to happen, 6 pm is bad if you're facing west sunset something something.
I would prefer 8:15

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

I think there is a legit problem with our 11am and 3pm selection rate in September that doesn't jive with "level of competition" when compared to other schools. On a standard week, everything selected after around the 3rd game is basically replaceable level with any other game slot. It is hard to explain how we're consistently put in the 11am or 3pm slot in September and I don't know if it is necessarily with malice but it is an oversight that ought to be accounted for in the 2020 and forward scheduling selection process.

Buuuuut if you're playing the 2:30pm game then congrats you were the first game off the board.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa

I would say that you are correct. You can't please all of the people all of the time. For the record, I am getting older now so I actually like the 11 or 2:30 games the best. I don't mind the 6 PM game if Bama is playing, but I am usually asleep before it is over if any other teams are playing.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA

It is what it is...…………..just as long as the concession stands still have Coke to drink, we are good

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I think there is a legit problem with our 11am and 3pm selection rate in September that doesn't jive with "level of competition" when compared to other schools. On a standard week, everything selected after around the 3rd game is basically replaceable level with any other game slot. It is hard to explain how we're consistently put in the 11am or 3pm slot in September and I don't know if it is necessarily with malice but it is an oversight that ought to be accounted for in the 2020 and forward scheduling selection process.

Buuuuut if you're playing the 2:30pm game then congrats you were the first game off the board.
Starting with the 2012 season - nine football seasons plus four games - we've had FOUR 11am kickoff games in September:
Kent State in both 2011 and 2016
FAU in 2014
ULL in 2018

That's not an unusually high number at all, given the number of cupcakes in there. And let's also keep in mind that the Arkansas game used to be in September every year, so that almost always guaranteed us a 230 game right there.

3 PM games? We've had two since 2010 (in September)
2015 MTSU
2019 NM St

We've played 17 games that kicked off at 230pm in September since 2010, 13 of which were on CBS (the 2016 WKU game was at 230 on the SEC Network).

And keep in mind that we've kicked off the season with a prime time opener five times, which also lowers our availability for CBS at 230.

78Alum

All-American
Aug 1, 2007
Alabaster, AL
I like the 2:30 games and being the #1 team in the conference, it is expected we will have a lot of them. However, this time of the year, it surely is hot sitting in the sun for 3-4 hours. Of course, the option is to suck and hardly ever get a 2:30 game... Roll Tide!

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I remember, before the Saban hire, Alabama was only on TV in Ohio a few times each year. Because of Saban and CBS, you are on national TV almost every week. Heck, you are even on the SECN when you play garbage teams.

You are truly blessed right now.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I remember, before the Saban hire, Alabama was only on TV in Ohio a few times each year. Because of Saban and CBS, you are on national TV almost every week. Heck, you are even on the SECN when you play garbage teams.

You are truly blessed right now.
True, but I would point out that before the Saban hire, there was no ESPN 3, and those cupcakes had to be purchased via such things as ESPN Gameplan.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
True, but I would point out that before the Saban hire, there was no ESPN 3, and those cupcakes had to be purchased via such things as ESPN Gameplan.
Alabama isn't on ESPN+ now - you get national coverage even against the little sisters of the poor. That won't last forever.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
Isn't every SEC game on TV now? Granted not all on major networks in prime spots, but I thought that was a a part of the SEC network that it would close that loop and every game would be on TV now? (*been wrong before...ask Mrs. Ols:Joker_PDT_06: )

Alabama isn't on ESPN+ now - you get national coverage even against the little sisters of the poor. That won't last forever.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Isn't every SEC game on TV now? Granted not all on major networks in prime spots, but I thought that was a a part of the SEC network that it would close that loop and every game would be on TV now? (*been wrong before...ask Mrs. Ols:Joker_PDT_06: )
Only if you include ESPN+ or Watch, or 3, or whatever it is called now.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007

The reason Bama is given the 11:00 game is two-fold: it will pull in the best TV audience for the wretched first TV slot of the day; also, it diminishes competition for the other slots. As most know, Birmingham (a massive Alabama audience) is the best college football TV market in the country - it actually moves the meter.

For example if Alabama were to KO at 7:00 vs ND/UGA it would diminish their number because of Bham and Bama fans around the country. As it is, it will pump up the 11AM slot and leave the Bama viewers free to contribute (and they will in huge numbers) to the ND/UGA numbers. It is a calculated move not because of enmity or neglect regarding Alabama but because of the meaningful effect on 2 TV time slots.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.