Hard to believe AJ still on bench in NFL - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BamaNation Second Team

Re: Hard to believe AJ still on bench in NFL

Quote Originally Posted by Padreruf View Post
    I am an A.J. fan --- love his competitiveness, toughness, and ability to make the correct throw in any situations. However, if he were as good as I/we say he is, then he would be playing somewhere. He just doesn't have the arm talent to be a superstar or even a starter...he does have the mental ability to be a career backup and have a great life.

FYI, this summer I reviewed on Youtube some of A.J.'s biggest games. He has nowhere near the arm talent of Tua...not even close.
    Tua is exceptional with accuracy but I dont think we are comparing AJ with Tua. we are comparing AJ with the lot of NFL QBs currently starting (most of who I have never heard in college and whose passing has been horrendous in NFL)

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Man Dan View Post
    Years ago I talked with Cliff Stout. He sat behind Terry Bradshaw for 16-17 years. LATER...
    Cliff came to the Birmingham Stallions with great knees and hips.
    Cliff might have got splinters in his butt from riding the bench, but he was a great QB for Birmingham.
    Rollie Dotch (sp) was the Stallions coach Pretty good coach.
    I used to love the Stallions.

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    Being a clipboard holder, with the salary and retirement, and no CTE, is not the worst of worlds...
    You know what the best job in the NFL is?

Backup punter.

BamaNation Second Team

Being a clipboard holder, with the salary and retirement, and no CTE, is not the worst of worlds...
    I could not agree more. I bet his mother and his wife see it that way as well, and so will he in 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by mlh View Post

Backup punter.
    Well, that's the lowest paid guy on the roster and usually without a guarantee, but he'll still make several hundred thousand...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

BamaNation All-American

480, 000 is the league minimum so the punter still does pretty well.

AJ has not had the best of luck with injuries. The LSU running back who fumbled in the Cincy playoff game cost him major money. Had the Bengals gone on to win, he'd have been a valuable commodity. No he doesn't have the talent Tua has, but he would be a solid starter for a team if given the opportunity. All you have to do is look at the teams desperate for a QB and who they have starting to see he is better than at least 1/3rd of them. But he has been labeled a backup now and frankly there is not much he can do about it. The NFL seems to be looking for the flavor of the month rather than making good personnel decisions. Does anyone think the Giants drafted a sleeper QB in Daniel Jones in the first round when they could have had him in the 3rd or 4th round? This is a prime example of how stupid many of the GM's are.

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mlh View Post

Backup punter.
    Like the MLB's bull pen catchers.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

BamaNation Hall of Fame CrimsonSEC's Avatar

Gary Kubiak was drafted the same time as John Elway and spent his entire 9 year career backing him up in Denver. Had 5 total starts in his career. Not a bad gig at all if you have someone as durable as Elway ahead of you.
    Lee

"A long way," he said after being asked how far the Crimson Tide had come since Coach Nick Saban arrived three years ago. "I guess you could say it's the distance from Shreveport to Pasadena."
    Mike Johnson

BamaNation Hall of Fame CHATTBRIT's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    3 years, but it isn't as great as many assume. You get $5640 per year for each year in the league, maxing at 10 years. The 401k plan is amazing with a 2:1 match. This is where you can make bank, investing so much early in life and letting it grow.
    Would suggest he get with Barrett Jones to set out his financial plan. He'd still have plenty left over for a very upscale lifestyle.
    Manchester City 2017-2018 English Premier League Champions & Carabou Cup Winners
    My basset hound, Henry. 10-14-1998 - 04-09-2012
    Remembering Victor Ellis #9
    I would rather burn an American flag to protect the Constitution than burn the Constitution to protect the American flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Man Dan View Post
    Years ago I talked with Cliff Stout. He sat behind Terry Bradshaw for 16-17 years. LATER...
    Cliff came to the Birmingham Stallions with great knees and hips.
    Cliff might have got splinters in his butt from riding the bench, but he was a great QB for Birmingham.
    Rollie Dotch (sp) was the Stallions coach Pretty good coach.
    Actually Stoudt was a back-up for only 6 years in Pittsburgh (1977-1982). He then started 15 games during the 1983 season for Pittsburgh while Bradshaw was out with elbow surgery. Stoudt then came to the Stallions for the 1984 and 1985 USFL seasons.

BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar

The Steelers and the saints have learned the importance of a back-up.
    Architects do it with models.

Roll Tide Roll

Super Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rama Jama View Post

AJ has not had the best of luck with injuries. The LSU running back who fumbled in the Cincy playoff game cost him major money. Had the Bengals gone on to win, he'd have been a valuable commodity. No he doesn't have the talent Tua has, but he would be a solid starter for a team if given the opportunity. All you have to do is look at the teams desperate for a QB and who they have starting to see he is better than at least 1/3rd of them. But he has been labeled a backup now and frankly there is not much he can do about it. The NFL seems to be looking for the flavor of the month rather than making good personnel decisions. Does anyone think the Giants drafted a sleeper QB in Daniel Jones in the first round when they could have had him in the 3rd or 4th round? This is a prime example of how stupid many of the GM's are.
    Ahhh, the NFL, where a bird in the bush is worth two (or more) in the hand.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rama Jama View Post

Daniel Jones was not making it out of the first half of the first round. I am not saying that he will be an NFL success story, but he was the best performing QB in all post-season workouts, by far. If the Giants wanted him, they had to take him at #6 or trade back a few spots and take him a little later, but they had a ton of draft picks last year, so that wasn't likely. The real question is why they picked him when they still had a healthy Eli Manning and so many other needs.