Hard to believe AJ still on bench in NFL - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    BamaNation All-American Padreruf's Avatar

Re: Hard to believe AJ still on bench in NFL

Quote Originally Posted by rtr90 View Post
    Tua is exceptional with accuracy but I dont think we are comparing AJ with Tua. we are comparing AJ with the lot of NFL QBs currently starting (most of who I have never heard in college and whose passing has been horrendous in NFL)
    I merely used Tua as a comparison...if AJ isn't starting then there is a definitive reason. Do we really think that if he could lead a team to a Super Bowl Championship he would be leading a team? These teams play to win... As others noted his bad luck with injuries has not helped him. However, you are what your record says you are...he is a career backup, i.e., safety valve for teams. If he had the arm talent I/we thought he did, then Andy Dalton would have never made it back to the starting lineup.

I hope he proves me wrong...not sure that will ever happen.
    "The greatest evil in the world is not 'not knowing;' it is not knowing that you do not know." Alfred North Whitehead

BamaNation All-American Padreruf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    Daniel Jones was not making it out of the first half of the first round. I am not saying that he will be an NFL success story, but he was the best performing QB in all post-season workouts, by far. If the Giants wanted him, they had to take him at #6 or trade back a few spots and take him a little later, but they had a ton of draft picks last year, so that wasn't likely. The real question is why they picked him when they still had a healthy Eli Manning and so many other needs.

I think we see why in week #3...big surprise.
    "The greatest evil in the world is not 'not knowing;' it is not knowing that you do not know." Alfred North Whitehead

BamaNation Hall of Fame CrimsonForce's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mlh View Post
    You know what the best job in the NFL is?

Backup punter.
    I'm pretty sure most teams do not carry a backup punter on their 53 man roster. If the punter gets injured during the game the place kicker would punt until they could sign somebody else for the next game. Most don't even keep a backup punter on their practice squad..

Daniel Jones was not making it out of the first half of the first round. I am not saying that he will be an NFL success story, but he was the best performing QB in all post-season workouts, by far. If the Giants wanted him, they had to take him at #6 or trade back a few spots and take him a little later, but they had a ton of draft picks last year, so that wasn't likely. The real question is why they picked him when they still had a healthy Eli Manning and so many other needs.
    Have you seen Eli play in recent years? Since 2012 he leads the NFL in losses, interceptions and overall turnovers. He's been bad for quite some time now. They had to take a chance on someone who might be a franchise QB. Look what they did in the previous year. They drafted Saquon Barkley with the #2 pick. He was rookie of the year and is arguably the best RB in the league but without a good QB it doesn't matter..

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonForce View Post
    I'm pretty sure most teams do not carry a backup punter on their 53 man roster. If the punter gets injured during the game the place kicker would punt until they could sign somebody else for the next game. Most don't even keep a backup punter on their practice squad..
    Dang it! Another dream dashed!

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonForce View Post
    Have you seen Eli play in recent years? Since 2012 he leads the NFL in losses, interceptions and overall turnovers. He's been bad for quite some time now. They had to take a chance on someone who might be a franchise QB. Look what they did in the previous year. They drafted Saquon Barkley with the #2 pick. He was rookie of the year and is arguably the best RB in the league but without a good QB it doesn't matter..
    They did not need to pick up a new QB in this year's draft. They could have worked on their entire roster. They owed Eli $20MM no matter what this year, even if they cut him.

My point - when you need 20 players, you don't replace your QB. When you get close, you can replace your QB. The Giants are still years away.

BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar

To answer the OPís question:

AJ is just not NFL starter material and he gets hurt too much. . A lot of folks keep bringing up 2 arguments. 1) he didnít get a fair shot and 2) he should get a shot because of that playoff season.

Truth is he did get a fair shot- ever since Brady every NFL team has obsessed on each otherís backups. They have every sliver of film on every qb. Point is they know who AJ Mccarron is and none of them feel he worth a starter role.

But what probably hurt his chances worse than anything was winning his grievance at absolutely the worst time. He won at the craziest QB FA Iíve ever seen in my life. Probably his best choice once people passed him over was being Bradyís 3rd string. Choosing the Bills exposed many of his flaws and his health concerns. Being behind Brady has its perks, and people taking a chance on you is one of them.

But I think AJ will be a career backup. And that is not a bad thing at all.
    Last edited by 81usaf92; September 18th, 2019 at 09:03 AM.

They did not need to pick up a new QB in this year's draft. They could have worked on their entire roster. They owed Eli $20MM no matter what this year, even if they cut him.

My point - when you need 20 players, you don't replace your QB. When you get close, you can replace your QB. The Giants are still years away.
    I guess my overall point was that Eli has been terrible for years and at some point they have to try to get his replacement regardless of how the rest of their roster looks. Eli is not even a serviceable QB anymore. If Jones is their next franchise QB it was a great pick. It's the risk/reward factor of drafting a QB vs another position player. No matter how good another position player is they do not have near the impact a QB does (see Barkley last year). They weren't going to completely overhaul their roster with whoever they would've taken with the #6 pick anyhow but if Jones pans out it's a homerun. If they drafted a different player who turned out good they're still stuck in the mud with no QB..