Hard to believe AJ still on bench in NFL

rtr90

1st Team
Dec 7, 2018
Seeing all these crappy QB start for teams .. he could nt be worse could he?

78Alum

All-American
Aug 1, 2007
Alabaster, AL
He has had terrible injury luck. Just about the time he gets in a good situation he gets hurt. I keep thinking it will eventually work out for him, but it is looking more and more like it isn't going to happen for him.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Being a clipboard holder, with the salary and retirement, and no CTE, is not the worst of worlds...
Years ago I talked with Cliff Stout. He sat behind Terry Bradshaw for 16-17 years. LATER...
Cliff came to the Birmingham Stallions with great knees and hips.
Cliff might have got splinters in his butt from riding the bench, but he was a great QB for Birmingham.
Rollie Dotch (sp) was the Stallions coach Pretty good coach.

Last edited:

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
I am an A.J. fan --- love his competitiveness, toughness, and ability to make the correct throw in any situations. However, if he were as good as I/we say he is, then he would be playing somewhere. He just doesn't have the arm talent to be a superstar or even a starter...he does have the mental ability to be a career backup and have a great life.

FYI, this summer I reviewed on Youtube some of A.J.'s biggest games. He has nowhere near the arm talent of Tua...not even close.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
He had the Bengals winning a wild card game against the Steelers four years ago until Vontez Burfict committed a penalty on the last drive and gave Pittsburgh extra yardage. Trying to imagine what might have been if they had won that game.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
"IF" he has managed his money well he already has a good retirement. Anyone know how long you have to be in the NFL to get their retirement? RTR
3 years, but it isn't as great as many assume. You get $5640 per year for each year in the league, maxing at 10 years. The 401k plan is amazing with a 2:1 match. This is where you can make bank, investing so much early in life and letting it grow.

rtr90

1st Team
Dec 7, 2018
I am an A.J. fan --- love his competitiveness, toughness, and ability to make the correct throw in any situations. However, if he were as good as I/we say he is, then he would be playing somewhere. He just doesn't have the arm talent to be a superstar or even a starter...he does have the mental ability to be a career backup and have a great life.

FYI, this summer I reviewed on Youtube some of A.J.'s biggest games. He has nowhere near the arm talent of Tua...not even close.
Tua is exceptional with accuracy but I dont think we are comparing AJ with Tua. we are comparing AJ with the lot of NFL QBs currently starting (most of who I have never heard in college and whose passing has been horrendous in NFL)

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
Years ago I talked with Cliff Stout. He sat behind Terry Bradshaw for 16-17 years. LATER...
Cliff came to the Birmingham Stallions with great knees and hips.
Cliff might have got splinters in his butt from riding the bench, but he was a great QB for Birmingham.
Rollie Dotch (sp) was the Stallions coach Pretty good coach.
I used to love the Stallions.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
480, 000 is the league minimum so the punter still does pretty well.

AJ has not had the best of luck with injuries. The LSU running back who fumbled in the Cincy playoff game cost him major money. Had the Bengals gone on to win, he'd have been a valuable commodity. No he doesn't have the talent Tua has, but he would be a solid starter for a team if given the opportunity. All you have to do is look at the teams desperate for a QB and who they have starting to see he is better than at least 1/3rd of them. But he has been labeled a backup now and frankly there is not much he can do about it. The NFL seems to be looking for the flavor of the month rather than making good personnel decisions. Does anyone think the Giants drafted a sleeper QB in Daniel Jones in the first round when they could have had him in the 3rd or 4th round? This is a prime example of how stupid many of the GM's are.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.