Question about Southern Miss game and the heat

Jay Hughes

All-SEC
Aug 28, 2008
Newnan, GA
My 3 year old son has been begging me to go to a Bama game so his mother and I are taking him to his first game this Saturday. I know it has been very hot and I’ve never been to a 11:00 kickoff before. Just trying to get a heads up and suggestions from all the regulars.

Thank you and Roll Tide!!!!

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
It won't be nearly as bad as a 2:30 game. It will be comfortable during the pre-game stuff, so he can have fun. But it will be very hot in the stadium from about halftime onward, getting hotter as the game moves forward. If you have seats in the shade, you will be fine. If not, you will understand why people leave these games early.

Have fun, and Roll Tide.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
My 3 year old son has been begging me to go to a Bama game so his mother and I are taking him to his first game this Saturday. I know it has been very hot and I’ve never been to a 11:00 kickoff before. Just trying to get a heads up and suggestions from all the regulars.

Thank you and Roll Tide!!!!
1) Hydrate well.
2) 11 am is not as bad as games that start at 130 or later - the problem isn't the START of the game but the MIDDLE of the game where it gets downright uncomfortable (note: I'm easily susceptible to heat exhaustion)
3) early game you may want to be under the east side awning rather than the west - because at 11 am the sun will be beating down directly on the west side more severely

Have fun.

78Alum

All-American
Aug 1, 2007
Alabaster, AL
As Selma said, it will very a lot depending on where your seats are. Normally, the west side is preferable, but for 11:00 games, the east side can be better depending on whether you are covered or not. Luckily, my seats are high on the east side and I should be in the shade the whole game. The Ole Miss game will be brutal for me. While I will start in the shade in that game, I will end up in the full sun from around half-time on.

irNate

1st Team
Nov 19, 2010
Snellville, GA
Started hydrating YESTERDAY!!! seriously no joke. especially your son. Sunscreen too. They allow you to bring in an empty container to refill with water at the water stations for free I drank a gatorade on my way in last game and used it to fill. but you can always buy water inside. Do not ignore your body or your kids body if you are feeling bad find shade, or go to the bathroom and run cold water over your wrists. There will be alot people watching the game on the screen from under the stands. Make sure to make your way down to field level if you can you Big Al is not as accesible as he used to be but you might get a picture with him. You can probably get a picture with SO Miss mascot too. depending on your kids age idk if he cares about that. My son ( 6 ) loves all the mascots and they are nice. The lemonade is incredibly delicious on a hot day like it will be and it wil help with hydration lol. Have a great time!

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
The good news is that, while it will be hot, it won't be as brutal as the NMSU game. Current forecast is for a 90-degree high. Which means most of the game will be in the mid to high 80s.

Best seats for the heat will be high on the west side upper deck toward the north end of the stadium.

If you're actually in the sun, especially on the east side, a baseball cap just isn't enough. Wide-brimmed hats, sunglasses and plenty of sunscreen. Obviously, dress cool.

If you have them, consider loose-fitting, loose-weave, long-sleeved shirts. You'll still need sunscreen under the shirt, but as I posted in another thread, it's how the Saudis handle nasty heat and sun, and nobody has more experience than they do.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If you have them, consider loose-fitting, loose-weave, long-sleeved shirts. You'll still need sunscreen under the shirt, but as I posted in another thread, it's how the Saudis handle nasty heat and sun, and nobody has more experience than they do.
Yeah, but desert heat just isn't the same as the humid stuff in the Southeast. I have spent some time in the desert and the dress in layers helps. Do that in Alabama and you just have more clothes to absorb your sweat.

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
The good news is that, while it will be hot, it won't be as brutal as the NMSU game. Current forecast is for a 90-degree high. Which means most of the game will be in the mid to high 80s.

Best seats for the heat will be high on the west side upper deck toward the north end of the stadium.

If you're actually in the sun, especially on the east side, a baseball cap just isn't enough. Wide-brimmed hats, sunglasses and plenty of sunscreen. Obviously, dress cool.

You're right about the temps. That 90° high may not show up until around 3 pm. Folks should heed those precautions. I just hope the humidity isn't bad.

R.Bama1980

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 4, 2017
A lot of fluids and light loose clothing!! No shame in taking breaks from the sun and sitting in the breezeway!! Roll Tide!!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.