Let’s discuss our defense...so many injuries, so many freshmen.

bamalee1

BamaNation Citizen
Mar 6, 2002
decatur ga , usa
ALL I know is Barmore is suspended for the first half of USM game-- but if he plays in the second half - i would like to see his phyiscalness moved up in rotation sooner rather than later

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
ALL I know is Barmore is suspended for the first half of USM game-- but if he plays in the second half - i would like to see his phyiscalness moved up in rotation sooner rather than later
This -- some guys just have the ability to make noise and gunk up the middle....

Not sure how many plays he played -- but he was making it complicated for USCe to do stuff.....

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Listening to a few minutes of Three Man Front this morning it seemed pretty clear that no objective observer would see a team with the number of injuries in critical positions that Bama has experienced on their defense be able to beat a team that is very good on both sides of the ball. With arguably the best offense in Saban's tenure the defense still has to find a way to get the ball back in the offense's hands with time on the clock. I tend to believe that CNS has a very good feel of where the defense is and can only work to improve every practice. I see a big test coming at College Station and we will know a lot more following that. One thing for sure CNS knows exactly what Jimbo is going to throw at Bama and we will see how effectively the defense deals with it.
I agree. I think Aggy ends up being a huge game for us because we're unlikely to be "ready" on defense but we're gonna have to figure it out or basically immediately be in every-game-is-playoff mode.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
When Golding was at UTSA, did he blitz much?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, he was very aggressive. I feel like (as Coach alluded to after the game) the defensive scheme was kept conservative and simple to help the young LB’s adjust a hostile environment. Lee played pretty well and Harris struggled a good bit. Kaho was on and off, but I think it’s valuable experience and these guys all show flashes of brilliance. I think this could be a very good defense later in the year and stay good in the coming years with all these guys getting experience this early.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
Listening to a few minutes of Three Man Front this morning it seemed pretty clear that no objective observer would see a team with the number of injuries in critical positions that Bama has experienced on their defense be able to beat a team that is very good on both sides of the ball. With arguably the best offense in Saban's tenure the defense still has to find a way to get the ball back in the offense's hands with time on the clock. I tend to believe that CNS has a very good feel of where the defense is and can only work to improve every practice. I see a big test coming at College Station and we will know a lot more following that. One thing for sure CNS knows exactly what Jimbo is going to throw at Bama and we will see how effectively the defense deals with it.
yes, no serious prognosticator should have Alabama in the top 5 right now and I seriously doubt we could beat a top 5 team right now but now is one thing, weeks from now is something else. If these kids can start getting lined up right against what these offenses are doing we have a fighting chance because they aren't bad players, they were just forced into that roll before they were ready. Then of course is the issue of the offense. The firepower is obvious, It's not as impressive to look at this season but It appears they are taking what the defense is giving. Last season teams adjusted to Tua's long game and he failed to adjust well enough. If he can pivot in game depending on what they are doing it could well be one of those offences that can only be slowed down, but not stopped.

Then it might boil down to turnovers.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
What? I know some think the sky is falling since our D gave up some big numbers but some of us need to get a grip.
We have the best QB and group of WRs in the country and probably the most or 2nd most talented roster in the country. There isn't a single game we can't win.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
yes, no serious prognosticator should have Alabama in the top 5 right now and I seriously doubt we could beat a top 5 team right now but now is one thing, weeks from now is something else. If these kids can start getting lined up right against what these offenses are doing we have a fighting chance because they aren't bad players, they were just forced into that roll before they were ready. Then of course is the issue of the offense. The firepower is obvious, It's not as impressive to look at this season but It appears they are taking what the defense is giving. Last season teams adjusted to Tua's long game and he failed to adjust well enough. If he can pivot in game depending on what they are doing it could well be one of those offences that can only be slowed down, but not stopped.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011

I think the bigger issue on offense is we still have not developed the run game to the point that we would be able to consume some clock and keep possession for a bit to allow the D to rest and make adjustments. If we can somehow get a bit of that back it will help the D out significantly.

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
But the starting defense playing with 4 or 5 freshmen in their first road game the majority of the game gave up 16 points to USCe. We are clearly doomed.
Yes, with one of the touchdown passes being a ball that would be incomplete or intercepted the vast majority of the time. Watching it live I thought the ball was going to be picked.

I really wish we were less doom and gloom. We are undefeated and have a couple of issues. None of them are so severe that we can't improve and win the national championship. I just hope the team keeps improving throughout the year, which hasn't been the case in some of our previous seasons.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
No, they are not dominant, they have weaknesses and gave up yardage to USC, but Bama's first team defense has given up one TD (an amazing pass completion that should have never been thrown into great double coverage) this season and taken 8 TOs. This vs two middle of the pack P5 programs and one very weak FBS program.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
We all know we have weaknesses. The question is...what can we do to fix it?
Just game reps. They understand what they are supposed to do, but they have to learn to trust their eyes and react instead of thinking.

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
When you watch Auburn’s D you can see how slow we are to the ball. I know it’s our youth because those guys we have on D have good speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tiderollin32

All-SEC
Mar 12, 2012
The freshman linebackers are still learning the scheme but their over pursuing of plays has cost us big plays and few touchdowns. I remember specifically against New Mexico State and this game where Shane Lee just totally over pursues the runner allowing them for a touchdown. Mac Wilson was doing the same thing last year so I wonder if it is coaching from Golding on tackling?

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
At this juncture I think injuries are also affecting our offense. We may not be calling many run plays because we really can't afford Najee Harris to get hurt. Sure it really is in line with our talent mix (a minimum of 4 NFL-bound WRs on the roster) but Sanders was a huge loss. B-Rob has been getting better as he gets more snaps but there is a noticeable drop off between Najee and Brian Robinson. Gotta think that we've kinda had to abandon what seemed to be a lead up to a run and play action heavy strategy for 2019 once Sanders went down. Definitely been seeing a lot more RPO passing than we were allegedly planning to do. Defense being battered to the point of ineffectiveness and already short a high-end tailback, we're just running a lot more of the easy money RPO stuff to put up numbers.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Yep, the tackling is starting to improve across the defense over the last couple of games. You like seeing that in the very least. I'd prefer to not see many 5-yard runs but I prefer runs stopping at 5 yards instead of becoming 15+ yards due to a bad tackle attempt.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.