Let’s discuss our defense...so many injuries, so many freshmen.

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
I’m trying to manage my expectations for this year. Perhaps the young players will catch on and mature quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I have hopes, not expectations. It makes it easier. You still have the talent to beat anyone. Like always, you need to pull that talent together and create a team that actually goes out and does it. I am still optimistic.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
We are going to have growing pains with the freshmen, no way around it. We need to run more clock and score like we have been to protect them when we get to our big games. I still think we get #18 but it won't be as defensively dominant as we are used to.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
I'm with B1G here.

If the front seven D can mature somewhat quickly and or DB's don't have to compensate for the MLB's deficiencies I'll feel much better about getting into the playoffs. If not...……… well???

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
All reliant on injuries and the maturation of the new players. If we cant stop the run and have to score 50 to beat everyone, we are gonna be in trouble. We would basically be Oklahoma from previous years, all O, little D.

Blah, I hate even saying it.

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
All reliant on injuries and the maturation of the new players. If we cant stop the run and have to score 50 to beat everyone, we are gonna be in trouble. We would basically be Oklahoma from previous years, all O, little D.

Blah, I hate even saying it.
I feel your pain. Unfortunately that is the direction college football is going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Coach Bryant would say that you can count a loss for every true freshman you start. That is not entirely true today especially given the elite recruiting we have maintained for over a decade now. Coaching and experience will get us through but only time will tell. I like our chances.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
I'm with B1G here.

If the front seven D can mature somewhat quickly and or DB's don't have to compensate for the MLB's deficiencies I'll feel much better about getting into the playoffs. If not...……… well???
Given time ( and granted we are only 3 games into the season), I think those MLBs are going to surprise us in the long run...………..sure, there will be growing pains, cant avoid that, but I have a good feeling about them. We shall see

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Coach Bryant would say that you can count a loss for every true freshman you start. That is not entirely true today especially given the elite recruiting we have maintained for over a decade now. Coaching and experience will get us through but only time will tell. I like our chances.
A lot has changed since Bryant was coaching college football.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
USCe got a gimme TD
Plus a seeing eye lucky throw for a TD

Duke scored 45 and 41 in their other two games.

Our D won’t give up many points. We can outscore anyone.

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
USCe got a gimme TD
Plus a seeing eye lucky throw for a TD

Duke scored 45 and 41 in their other two games.

Our D won’t give up many points. We can outscore anyone.
Yes, they got a garbage TD....and we did do well in the redzone. My only real concern is the run D.

The D was getting gashed for some pretty good chunks of yards on run plays.

I still think though it comes down to experience for the young guys. That and no more injuries on D to anyone, not just key players. I'd like to see our #1 recruit stick around too, especially since we just lost another DL.

Hope our QB pressure picks up some too...no Q so I'm guessing Jennings or Lewis...maybe Dale.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
We've got a bit of the ol' Madden Football truck stick problem on defense. Guys like Reuben Foster and Mark Barron got away with that because when they lowered the boom it was "clean up on aisle five" for the opposing team's player. I fear that Mayden and a few other who tried don't have that same hammering force when they try to be a human missile and accordingly just need to tackle like they were taught.

Guys like Marlon Humprhey didn't bring down Leonard Fournette in space by launching at him. They did it with technique.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
We've got a bit of the ol' Madden Football truck stick problem on defense. Guys like Reuben Foster and Mark Barron got away with that because when they lowered the boom it was "clean up on aisle five" for the opposing team's player. I fear that Mayden and a few other who tried don't have that same hammering force when they try to be a human missile and accordingly just need to tackle like they were taught.

Guys like Marlon Humprhey didn't bring down Leonard Fournette in space by launching at him. They did it with technique.
Never have understood the whole " just running into the ball carrier " style of tackling without even grabbing the guy. Smacks a bit of show boating to me.

JF3

Scout Team
Jul 16, 2004
Phenix City, AL
We need to tackle better and improve our rush defense. I trust the coaches will do their jobs teaching and the players will do their jobs on the field. We do not need any more injuries anywhere. I believe we can do this. I will give them until after our first bye week. Roll Tide!:biga:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I don’t think you can take too much away from the USCe game. Take into account that we were playing against a true Freshman qb with very little film and a coach willing to throw the kitchen sink at us. Point is there was a ton of hyper aggression by their offense and we subscribed to the bend don’t break philosophy until our offense put the game away.

Remember Garret Gilbert and Trevor Knight had tons of success vs us, but little success after us.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

Coach was not happy with the tackling and I would think there was some tackling drills going on this week at practice. Hopefully we see an improvement this Saturday.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
I’m sure Coach Bryant also never anticipated that a true freshman QB would replace a QB who was 25-2 as a starter at halftime during a national championship game.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
Coach was not happy with the tackling and I would think there was some tackling drills going on this week at practice. Hopefully we see an improvement this Saturday.
I sure hope the tackling does improve. Did the players just not focus, or is it a coaching thing? I thought the coaches this year were supposed to be upgrades, especially on defense??

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.