Auburn Booster Rane to Go After Bob Stoops if Auburn Loses Iron Bowl

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
Re: Auburn Booster to Go After Bob Stoops if Auburn Loses Iron Bowl

If it takes a little goofy math on your part to get you there and that makes you happy...I could also call it 16-4 if you want to play that way...:pDT_box2:

on TideFans.com

That puts the actual number of national titles at 12 and 7. So, yes, I'm willing to concede that Bama IS, historically the better/more storied program, though not by a great margin. I would rank the two programs No. 1 and No. 2 all-time, though I'm sure I'd get an argument from ND, USC, tOSU – maybe even a few of those delusional Texas fans.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010

Its gotta hurt them for this to come out when they are playing pretty well and their defense will keep them in games. Right now it is not so much Gus being an offensive genius as the defense is bailing them out. Auburn is going to give some teams trouble simply because of their front 7. This weekend will be very revealing for both A&M and the boogs.

My point is what message does it send to the team mid season when Auburn's most influential booster is quoted as looking at a new coach.
Just curious if that $2M that Gus contributed for the All-Football facility would be used to fund his own buy-out? :tongue:

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007

That puts the actual number of national titles at 12 and 7. So, yes, I'm willing to concede that Bama IS, historically the better/more storied program, though not by a great margin. I would rank the two programs No. 1 and No. 2 all-time, though I'm sure I'd get an argument from ND, USC, tOSU – maybe even a few of those delusional Texas fans.
Surely, you don't think college football began in 1935 with the advent of the AP do you? Bama has 4 legit claims prior: 25, 26, 30, 34. All 10-0 (except 1926 with 7-7 RB tie with Pop Warner's Stanford with whom they shared the NC as both teams were 9-0 coming in) seasons with win in the Rose Bowl. It's hard to have a more legit claim than that. (Bama had 2 other undefeated/untied teams without making NC claims. '45 & '66, boat-racing USC and Neb in the RBowl and SBowl respectively.)

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed

Unless the XFL flops, which is a possibility, I don't see Stoops returning to CFB, especially at program like Auburn. If he comes back to CFB it will be at a place like USCw.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL

Stoops, I think, would return for only a handful of jobs. Auburn isn’t one of them. They’re not a blue blood of CFB like they assume they are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

You can count on the failure of the XFL, just how soon. If the USCw job is open and the choice is between that job and auburn then the boogs need to have a backup candidate. Bobby Petrino who they have obsessed over since 2003? I believe if auburn winds up 9-3 or 10-2 Malzahn is safe for another year.

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed

You can count on the failure of the XFL, just how soon. If the USCw job is open and the choice is between that job and auburn then the boogs need to have a backup candidate. Bobby Petrino who they have obsessed over since 2003? I believe if auburn winds up 9-3 or 10-2 Malzahn is safe for another year.
I don't think it automatic that the XFL fails. Highly likely, perhaps, automatic? I don't know.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

Gotta remember that the XFL HC position will require FAR less time than the collegiate FB HC position. It would like a part-time job in comparison, which is probably why Stoops even considered it.

I'd bet dollars to donuts Stoops never coaches CFB again.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA

LOL!

If you are only counting our titles since 1961, then you need to only count OU titles since 1961 - 4. Bama has 3 times as many. It's not as close as you think. Don't get me wrong, OU is an excellent program currently and historically, but to suggest that they are are close to Bama is, well, silly.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Surely, you don't think college football began in 1935 with the advent of the AP do you? Bama has 4 legit claims prior: 25, 26, 30, 34.
That were made AFTER the fact. As I've said before - Alabama's own student newspaper in 1961 said that one was the first one.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

Honestly I’ve gotten to the point where I have to turn the argument that anything before 1998 should be deemed “mythical”. Because it’s gotten to the point where it is exhausting to have to explain 3 things.

1) many Alabama fans would rather us claim 1945 or 1966 over 1941 because we believe that 1941 was a sham claim.

2) The Rose Bowl was the National Championship until they excluded 90% of the country.

3) the championships in which Alabama was awarded prior to the bowl game were legit because we had teams like Notre Dame who didn’t play bowl games.

But any way or stipulation you slice it, Alabama still has more NCs than anyone else.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012

Unless the XFL flops, which is a possibility, I don't see Stoops returning to CFB, especially at program like Auburn. If he comes back to CFB it will be at a place like USCw.
This whole thread's gratuitous - and all on account of Yella Fella's incipient (but ever-loyal!) senility. Rane actually meant Bob Shoop, not Stoops - Shoopy has, like, a 5-35 record as a head coach (and at that distinguished pigskinstitution, Columbia) and Ol' Yella's obviously wanting to replicate that Magic Cheez-It Moment of 2010 - since which time All Bran's football program hasn't, er,

aged very well...

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010

This whole thread's gratuitous - and all on account of Yella Fella's incipient (but ever-loyal!) senility. Rane actually meant Bob Shoop, not Stoops - Shoopy has, like, a 5-35 record as a head coach (and at that distinguished pigskinstitution, Columbia) and Ol' Yella's obviously wanting to replicate that Magic Cheez-It Moment of 2010 - since which time All Bran's football program hasn't, er,

aged very well...
A 5-35 record wouldn't stop the barn from hiring him, as long as he were willing to let Dye run the program behind the scenes... :cool2:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

Best thing about this "rumor" is reading the back and forth on Twitter between Auburn fans and Oklahoma State fans about who has the better program (context: somebody compared Stoops coming to Auburn to the same of CNS retiring and then coming out of retirement to go coach at Ok. State).

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa

IF Auburn loses the Iron Bowl AND lets Malzahn go they'd be stupid to not kick the tires on Stoops, or any other "can't miss" coach. Who they actually get, now that's the real question.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.

What poor boy doesn't dream of coaching at Auburn?

Consider...
They give you millions to come there.
Coach a couple of years, and get the endorsement money.
Get fired and they give you millions to get out of their contract.
Go work for ESPN, quietly leave...
Retire and live like a Saudi Prince...

No offense intended toward any Saudi Prince. ;)

I almost forgot the most important part...
S.N.A.S.S.

Last edited:

scrybe

3rd Team
Sep 6, 2019

Don't pretend to know a lot about what motivates Bob Stoops, but I'm certain the man is not coaching at Auburn – not next year, not ever!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.