Auburn Booster Rane to Go After Bob Stoops if Auburn Loses Iron Bowl

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Re: Auburn Booster to Go After Bob Stoops if Auburn Loses Iron Bowl

Goes to show that the PTB and AU fanbase only care about beating Alabama. They beat us in 2017 and gave him a big extension. If they don't beat us this year they want to change coaches. That's why they'll never be consistent and they've never had back to back 10 win seasons..

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN

You mean Bob “The SEC ain’t that great” Stoops?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

Regardless of who authored the article it's pretty short sighted to argue that the AU job is anything but unstable. AU has fired every coach in their history except for one IIRC. The facts in the article may not be true but the overall point is. The AU job is volatile and unstable. One minute the coach is getting an extension and the next year he can be on the hot seat..

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa

Not sure why Stoops would subject himself to the meddling that goes on in that program. And it does show a bit of obsession. If they lose to A&M, LSU and UGA, but beat Alabama, Gus keeps his job?

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN

Not sure why Stoops would subject himself to the meddling that goes on in that program. And it does show a bit of obsession. If they lose to A&M, LSU and UGA, but beat Alabama, Gus keeps his job?
That is basically the goal I think. If he loses to Bama this year he’ll be a talking head for ESPN.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

That is basically the goal I think. If he loses to Bama this year he’ll be a talking head for ESPN.

LSU or UGA or Bama and 8 wins would likely save his job. He's in big trouble if he loses all 3. There will be noise either way if things go as expected.

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN

LSU or UGA or Bama and 8 wins would likely save his job. He's in big trouble if he loses all 3. There will be noise either way if things go as expected.
AUDub, what does the fan base think of Gus? I hear people in the media talk about his offense style in not so glowing terms.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

I mean, they've got to be considered serious underdogs to all 3. They do have the UGA/Bama double header at Jordan-Hare this year, but still, a freshman QB and those 3 teams all have veteran QBs performing at the highest levels? It makes no sense whatsoever to have the mindset of win or bust.

Pilot172000

1st Team
Sep 25, 2017
Winnsboro, LA

Why in the world would Bob Stoops want to coach at Auburn. His legacy is cemented at OU and he would be subjecting that legacy to the prospects of playing A&M, UGA, LSU and Bama every year at the school that is the equivalent of Jan Brady from the Brady Bunch. They would have much better luck and probably success with a hire like Mike Leach who relishes situations like that.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013

AUDub, what does the fan base think of Gus? I hear people in the media talk about his offense style in not so glowing terms.

It is mostly negative.

Gus is a good but flawed offensive mind. He's very good at scheming to get the defense's eyes going the wrong way and exploiting matchups, and when things are clicking, it's a things of beauty to watch.

Beyond that, things get predictable. Get a big first down? Immediately followed by a dive up the middle out of the hurry up. Get behind the sticks? Prepare for a poorly thought up passing play with maybe two receivers in the progression.

Then there are the times he outsmarts himself. The poor redzone series after the big fumble return in the Oregon game didn't come out of a vacuum. We were hitting them pretty good with the power run game, but he called slow developing sweeps such and we settled for a FG. Gashing the D for 6-8 yards? Prepare for a goofy double reverse that costs us the rythm.

It's pretty frustrating. Gus just can't get out of his own way sometimes.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL

It is mostly negative.

Gus is a good but flawed offensive mind. He's very good at scheming to get the defense's eyes going the wrong way and exploiting matchups, and when things are clicking, it's a things of beauty to watch.

Beyond that, things get predictable. Get a big first down? Immediately followed by a dive up the middle out of the hurry up. Get behind the sticks? Prepare for a poorly thought up passing play with maybe two receivers in the progression.

Then there are the times he outsmarts himself. The poor redzone series after the big fumble return in the Oregon game didn't come out of a vacuum. We were hitting them pretty good with the power run game, but he called slow developing sweeps such and we settled for a FG. Gashing the D for 6-8 yards? Prepare for a goofy double reverse that costs us the rythm.

It's pretty frustrating. Gus just can't get out of his own way sometimes.
Yep. Pretty much sums it from my AU family (wife and two kids’ perspective and their “extended family” of Auburn fans).

Most frustrating for them is what Dub just hit on. Gus seems insistent at times in showing what a “genius” he is to the extent he trips over his own feet.

Pretty bad when my son can watch them line up and “calls the play” based on formation, motion of the play, and personnel over half the time. My son is an astute observer of all things Auburn football related, but no more so than many football fans.

Last edited:

BamaDMD

Hall of Fame
Sep 10, 2007
Rainsville Al

Nothing says support like an ultimatum. The crazy thing is Auburn has won three, are ranked in the top 10, and have a QB with a big upside and should improve with time...:conf2:

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004

I don't see Stoops coming out of retirement to coach on the Plains. In fact, I don't see any really good coach wanting to go there until Saban retires.

Wakecrash

Suspended
Sep 22, 2018

I would think any coach willing to move into the xfl would be willing to coach at Auburn.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013

Pretty bad when my son can watch them line up and “calls the play” based on formation, motion of the play, and personnel over half the time. My son is an astute observer of all things Auburn football related, but no more so than many football fans.
In it's bare form, it really works very well. Auburn does a lot of window dressing to get the defense going the wrong direction for what typically ends up being a fairly basic power dive or buck sweep, and we'll do very well with it. Eventually, the defense will get caught cheating and *BAM*, the wheel route down the sideline is wide open for a big gain.

It's when we go off script that we get in trouble, like getting a false start putting us behind the sticks, or when Gus makes one of his goofy playcalls.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.