Auburn Booster Rane to Go After Bob Stoops if Auburn Loses Iron Bowl

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Re: Auburn Booster to Go After Bob Stoops if Auburn Loses Iron Bowl

Why in the world would you take Bob Stoops when Urban Meyer is available???????

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL

In it's bare form, it really works very well. Auburn does a lot of window dressing to get the defense going the wrong direction for what typically ends up being a fairly basic power dive or buck sweep, and we'll do very well with it. Eventually, the defense will get caught cheating and *BAM*, the wheel route down the sideline is wide open for a big gain.

It's when we go off script that we get in trouble, like getting a false start putting us behind the sticks, or when Gus makes one of his goofy playcalls.
All I need say is “The Whirlybird”.

scrybe

3rd Team
Sep 6, 2019

Alabama is the only SEC program that is equal to (arguably higher than) Oklahoma. Bob Stoops will not coach at Auburn.

Not being arrogant; just the way I see it.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

Jimmy was the reason Gus is still at Auburn after last year’s push to get rid of him failed. So why after a 3-0 start a year later has his mind changed and he is going after a coach that has been available for 2 going on 3 years now?

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC

Jimmy was the reason Gus is still at Auburn after last year’s push to get rid of him failed. So why after a 3-0 start a year later has his mind changed and he is going after a coach that has been available for 2 going on 3 years now?
Prolly 'cuz Gus responded with a "Yep" instead of a "Yessir" last time he was in Yella Fella's office.

But really, is Jimmy that delusional? It ain't happenin'!

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Alabama is the only SEC program that is equal to (arguably higher than) Oklahoma. Bob Stoops will not coach at Auburn.

Not being arrogant; just the way I see it.
Agreed, except for the "arguably higher" part. Only a Sooner fan would put the Sooners program anywhere near Alabama's program. But, to your point, Stoops didn't leave the Sooners to coach at Auburn for any price.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover

The net effect of Gus being shown the door is his re-appearance as the Hogs head man next year and the barn throwing wads of cash at everyone only to land their third, maybe fourth choice. Maybe Rich Rod to the plains?

scrybe

3rd Team
Sep 6, 2019

Agreed, except for the "arguably higher" part. Only a Sooner fan would put the Sooners program anywhere near Alabama's program. But, to your point, Stoops didn't leave the Sooners to coach at Auburn for any price.
Of course, I meant historically. Not even a Sooner fan would claim (with a straight face) that Oklahoma football is the current equal to Bama. But I appreciate you understanding – and agreeing with – my point about Stoops.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL

I think that the general understanding from some of our well-respected Oklahoma posters is that Bob wanted to get out while he was still young and still had his good health, also wanted to spend more time with his college age children/family. Evidently his father coached for many years and died of complications related to heart problems, something he wants to avoid. Even if he still had the itch to get back on the sidelines at the collegiate level, I just can’t see it under any circumstances ever being at Auburn, that and I don’t see him buying into the whole “Auburn Fambly” thing at all.

Last edited:

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007

Of course, I meant historically. Not even a Sooner fan would claim (with a straight face) that Oklahoma football is the current equal to Bama. But I appreciate you understanding – and agreeing with – my point about Stoops.
Even historically Alabama is, without question to any objective observer, far ahead of OU. 16 legit NCs to OU's 7, including 12 wire service (AP or Coaches) NCs since 1961. You have a great program, including 4 NCs since 1961 and 7 total.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

I think unless things really go south, Gus is probably still getting another year. If Jimmy Rayne is really saying this, then you have to wonder why it didn’t happen last year and it’s coming out at a moment in which if Auburn wins Saturday then you could realistically see a 9-10 ( with a Bowl win) win team

Last edited:

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

I think unless things really go south, Gus is probably still getting another year. If Jimmy Rayne is really saying this, then you have to wonder why it didn’t happen last year and it’s coming out at a moment in which if Auburn wins Saturday then you could realistically see a 9-10 ( with a Bowl win) win team
Just Brooks Melchior stirring the pot for clicks.

scrybe

3rd Team
Sep 6, 2019

Even historically Alabama is, without question to any objective observer, far ahead of OU. 16 legit NCs to OU's 7, including 12 wire service (AP or Coaches) NCs since 1961. You have a great program, including 4 NCs since 1961 and 7 total.
That puts the actual number of national titles at 12 and 7. So, yes, I'm willing to concede that Bama IS, historically the better/more storied program, though not by a great margin. I would rank the two programs No. 1 and No. 2 all-time, though I'm sure I'd get an argument from ND, USC, tOSU – maybe even a few of those delusional Texas fans.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa

Its gotta hurt them for this to come out when they are playing pretty well and their defense will keep them in games. Right now it is not so much Gus being an offensive genius as the defense is bailing them out. Auburn is going to give some teams trouble simply because of their front 7. This weekend will be very revealing for both A&M and the boogs.

My point is what message does it send to the team mid season when Auburn's most influential booster is quoted as looking at a new coach.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.

It is mostly negative.

Gus is a good but flawed offensive mind. He's very good at scheming to get the defense's eyes going the wrong way and exploiting matchups, and when things are clicking, it's a things of beauty to watch.

Beyond that, things get predictable. Get a big first down? Immediately followed by a dive up the middle out of the hurry up. Get behind the sticks? Prepare for a poorly thought up passing play with maybe two receivers in the progression.

Then there are the times he outsmarts himself. The poor redzone series after the big fumble return in the Oregon game didn't come out of a vacuum. We were hitting them pretty good with the power run game, but he called slow developing sweeps such and we settled for a FG. Gashing the D for 6-8 yards? Prepare for a goofy double reverse that costs us the rythm.

It's pretty frustrating. Gus just can't get out of his own way sometimes.
I like Gus. He's everything a Alabama Fan could ask for, and more.
;)

Gus does have the ability to pull a rabbit out of the hat.
Auburn is shot with luck when Gus is on...
The rest of the time the boosters just want him shot.

I will not bad mouth Gus too much. The one year I lived down that way I attended every Auburn home game. Doug Barfield was the coach, and they were awful.
Most of the games I attended, fans gave me tickets outside the stadium.

Now for a confession no Alabama fan want's to admit to.
I have always liked Patrick Fain Dye. I found him a Southern Gentleman.
I know Coach Dye had a thing for alcohol, and he sometimes played fast and loose with a few rules, but I liked him from the first time I met him.
Dye believed in hard nose in your face football, and that was my idea of football.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010

That is basically the goal I think. If he loses to Bama this year he’ll be a talking head for ESPN.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A well paid one... :cool2:

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010

I mean, they've got to be considered serious underdogs to all 3. They do have the UGA/Bama double header at Jordan-Hare this year, but still, a freshman QB and those 3 teams all have veteran QBs performing at the highest levels? It makes no sense whatsoever to have the mindset of win or bust.
Well, they could always steal the opponents signals and make their own defense look...oh wait, they already do that... :cool2:

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010

Why in the world would Bob Stoops want to coach at Auburn. His legacy is cemented at OU and he would be subjecting that legacy to the prospects of playing A&M, UGA, LSU and Bama every year at the school that is the equivalent of Jan Brady from the Brady Bunch. They would have much better luck and probably success with a hire like Mike Leach who relishes situations like that.
That's the point, he wouldn't.

Remember all the coaches that turned down awbern and then they had to hire a 5-19 coach? :biggrin2:

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010

The buyout is now within his affordability window...? Maybe YellaFella had an extremely profitable year and is looking for a tax write-off...? :cool2:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.