Auburn Booster Rane to Go After Bob Stoops if Auburn Loses Iron Bowl

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Re: Auburn Booster to Go After Bob Stoops if Auburn Loses Iron Bowl

That were made AFTER the fact. As I've said before - Alabama's own student newspaper in 1961 said that one was the first one.
Not the first time the Alabama student newspaper has been wrong.

There were contemporary media references to Bama as National Champions after the game. To what they were referring, if anything, is unknown to me. But by my own reckoning any team that was undefeated/untied with an 8+ game schedule then won the only post season game in the country, a truly national game (even though, IMO, the thought that the Rose Bowl was the de-facto NC game is overstated), has a legit claim. The contemporary references to Bama as NC only confirm my opinion.

IMO, anything between 1916 and 1935 is nebulous anyway but doesn't mean there are not legit claims, even if not exclusive. Once the AP began, I choose to acknowledge only wire service NCs, ignoring 1941, as well as any selectors who choose 1945, 1966, etc. Actually, Bama has been chosen by some national selector in 30 or 31 different years. Many are ridiculous.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

There were contemporary media references to Bama as National Champions after the game. To what they were referring, if anything, is unknown to me. But by my own reckoning any team that was undefeated/untied with an 8+ game schedule then won the only post season game in the country, a truly national game (even though, IMO, the thought that the Rose Bowl was the de-facto NC game is overstated), has a legit claim. The contemporary references to Bama as NC only confirm my opinion.

IMO, anything between 1916 and 1935 is nebulous anyway but doesn't mean there are not legit claims, even if not exclusive. Once the AP began, I choose to acknowledge only wire service NCs, ignoring 1941, as well as any selectors who choose 1945, 1966, etc. Actually, Bama has been chosen by some national selector in 30 or 31 different years. Many are ridiculous.
I'm fairly certain I've seen newspaper articles from the time Coach Bryant was hired, referencing his part of playing on Alabama's 1934 national championship winning team.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Folks are kind of missing the point.

There were contemporary media references to Bama as National Champions after the game.
I assume (correct me if I'm wrong here) this is in reference to the 1926 Rose Bowl (I say this because years ago I saw a news clipping someone posted on here).

You're by no means wrong here.

To what they were referring, if anything, is unknown to me.
It appears to be quite a flexible or malleable term depending on precisely whom is doing the talking. Just note I'm doing some long-term research on newspaper searches that will either validate or modify what we're discussing just a bit here. Here's one example:

“To be frank about it, the verdict in favor of Yale (which was defeated by Georgia) was rendered in this column with the reservation that Pittsburgh was not really a representative of the ‘Eastern’ sector. The reservation was entirely mental, which seems to have been a mistake. On the record, Pitt has shown as much strength as Yale (which was defeated by Georgia). If the Panthers defeat Penn State and Yale (which was defeated by Georgia) wins from Harvard, the best way to settle the question of supremacy will be to chop the mythical crown in half and make a double presentation. One might start another argument by comparing the Pitt schedule with Yale (which was defeated by Georgia) schedule. But there are too many arguments on hand now. As for Georgia, it is the only major team from coast to coast with a record clear of ties or defeats so far in this campaign. If it gets by Alabama and Georgia Tech, it can put in a reasonable bid for the mythical national championship. But the supremacy of the East is something for the Eastern teams to settle among themselves. The Bulldog and the Panther are leading in the balloting to date.” (John Kieran, New York Times, 16 November 1927, p 23)

That the term ("mythical national championship") existed is not in dispute.
That there were what we now call "polls" - or at least a modified version of such - is also not in dispute as the teams were clustered into what were called "tiers," and they were usually ranked geographically.

But by my own reckoning any team that was undefeated/untied with an 8+ game schedule then won the only post season game in the country, a truly national game (even though, IMO, the thought that the Rose Bowl was the de-facto NC game is overstated), has a legit claim. The contemporary references to Bama as NC only confirm my opinion.
Respectfully, even this is overstated - but fantastic on the admission that the Rose Bowl as an NC game is overstated because in those early days, Notre Dame and the Big Ten (known in ancient history as "The Western Conference") and most of the Eastern schools refused to play in the game. It's kind of hard to have a 'de facto championship game' when it's actually an exhibition tied to a parade showing flowers.

I'd be very interested (as I did see the clipping here years ago):
a) which specific paper is making the claim of a MNC
b) what criteria is being used

Is it an actual designation or is it hyperbole.....or is it a typical case of a regional newspaper angry at the regional bias inherent in the coverage at the time and using the fact that "a team from the South beat a team from the West, therefore national?"

IMO, anything between 1916 and 1935 is nebulous anyway but doesn't mean there are not legit claims, even if not exclusive.
I concur, but I'd probably move the date to around 1992 (more on this in a moment). However, for whatever reason - the proliferation of mass communication, the role of TV, whatever - at some point in history, the AP poll became accepted by pretty much everyone as some sort of standard as to the recognized champion, joined in the 1950s by the United Press (later UPI and now coach's poll).

But let me add that the word emphasized in this whole thing is not "championship," it's the word "claim." Tide fans like to talk about our legitimate "claims," but the only reason that word exists is because there was no recognized championship game at the time (unlike virtually all other sports).

At the same time, there needs to be a cognizance of what precisely happened. "Championship claim" is not the same as "best team in the country" or established as such in anything resembling an objective manner. One of the complaints registered by contemporary writers of the 1960s against Alabama was the tendency for the Southern voters to vote as a bloc for their teams (usually 1-2 at most). Eastern voters, by contrast, would divide their allegiances - of course the part never mentioned in most cases was the fact they had attended the schools upon which they were voting.

Once the AP began, I choose to acknowledge only wire service NCs, ignoring 1941, as well as any selectors who choose 1945, 1966, etc. Actually, Bama has been chosen by some national selector in 30 or 31 different years. Many are ridiculous.
This is an excellent summary as well. Where I part company is with the vocal segment of our fan base that pulls the old, "We never should have recognized 1941, we should recognize 1945" - which is just another way of saying, "We've got a total we're going to defend, and we will defend that total by any means necessary - oh and look at these other claims we could make," which does nothing to resolve anything.

The reason I say 1992 isn't because we won the title, it's because that was the first actual attempt to have a 1 vs 2 championship game, the Bowl Coalition. The national championships of 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1987, 1989, 1990 and 1991 were all disputed to some degree. So the schools that weren't bound to the Rose Bowl agreed to a selection process of squaring off the top two teams. That - in my view - is totally legitimate for a championship claim, just as much so as the BCS.

Let me be clear so nobody misunderstands me: I have ZERO problem with us "claiming" or "recognizing" (probably a better word) whatever number of national titles we choose. I have no problem with any school doing this for some of the reasons you outline above. Furthermore, you will not find a more ardent defender of our disputed (by opposing fan bloggers) 1964 national championship and the whole "they lost the bowl game" nonsense (none of these jokers ever talks about 1950 Oklahoma, 1951 Tennessee, 1953 Maryland - or 1957 Auburn not playing in one because they were on probation).

The whole argument, though, needs to be framed more along the lines of what 81 is doing. Get them to commit FIRST to a methodology of counting. Scrybe did what OU fans have done for years and started with 1936. That is a completely legitimate argument as OU fans present it because it has always been consistent (how "objective" such criteria are is debatable because the assumption of that start date is that somehow the AP and/or UPI votes were legit in a way previous systems were not.....a finding that is laughable to put it mildly).

But we need to remember that in those older cases, the emphasis is on the word "claim", not on the words "national champions."

That's all I mean.

Here's a funny quote that everyone here will love:

“Alabama, according to reports of those who saw the Southern Conference champions in action, had one of the best defensive teams in the country, a fast, brawny eleven that was worthy of stacking up with the leaders. But unfortunately Alabama did not meet any opposition of a serious character and so just how good a team it was cannot be told until it journeys to the Pacific Coast in December.” (NYT, 11/28/1926, p 130).

Apparently, Alabama was expected to go play thousands of miles from home - and what makes this so funny is that the Eastern schools (Penn, Harvard, Yale, etc) were REFUSING to schedule "home and home" games back then because of the costs (travel, etc), but the Eastern newspaper is demanding Alabama play an extra game in Pasadena to show how good they are......in a game Eastern teams refuse to play.

It hasn't changed in a century, folks.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

JMO, but only fans of teams which have recognized championships before the AP poll era should be able to discount those championships. In other words, almost everyone discounting those championships does so because it suits their agenda. Only fans of teams like Alabama or teams with zero championships can be truly objective. Teams like OU argue for a narrative that helps their cause while damaging others.

Last edited:

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014

Unless the XFL flops, which is a possibility, I don't see Stoops returning to CFB, especially at program like Auburn. If he comes back to CFB it will be at a place like USCw.
I sort of expect him to be like Spurrier. When he came back to college the USCe fans were happier with his 10 win seasons than Alabama fans are with national championships. I think I remember an interview a few years ago where he said he was golfing with CNS. He told CNS that he could probably work a few less hours a week on football and still probably win a national championship. I doubt the Florida head coach Spurrier would have said that but the USCe Spurrier did. I think a program like that would be a good post-retirement program for Stoops.

scrybe

3rd Team
Sep 6, 2019

Of one thing you can be certain, SBTF: I'm sorry I interjected a thought/opinion into this discussion. :eek2:

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.

At this point in his life I don't see money as the big factor in trying to lure Coach Stoops.
Let me mention the negatives of coming to Auburn.
1. He would not be the 'Big Dog' in Alabama.
2. Besides The Yellow Fellow, Auburn has a couple of big money politicians who try to influence who plays ect...
3. It would take several years of recruiting to be in the conversation of best team.
4. Bob Stoops would want to run his Offense, not the Gus Offense.
5. Lastly... The SEC West is a brutal place to coach. Teams like Alabama, LSU, TAMU would make a tough schedule.

Last edited:

scrybe

3rd Team
Sep 6, 2019

At this point in his life I don't see money as the big factor in trying to lure Coach Stoops.
Let me mention the negatives of coming to Auburn.
1. He would not be the 'Big Dog' in Alabama.
2. Besides The Yellow Fellow, Auburn has a couple of big money politicians who try to influence who plays ect...
3. It would take several years of recruiting to be in the conversation of best team.
4. Bob Stoops would want to run his Offense, not the Gus Offense.
5. Lastly... The SEC West is a brutal place to coach. Teams like Alabama, LSU, TAMU would make a tough schedule.
Teams like Alabama and LSU? Yes. TAMU? You've gotta be kidding. Except for that loss to Johnny Football – an outlier if there ever was one – Stoops and the Sooners owned the aggies. In fact, the aggies were never more than a middle of the road team in the Big 12. An honest observation.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.