Game Thread: Auburn at aTm

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
Dub - I think this is fair. Nix looks better than his horrible numbers (was it 100yd?) and he has been improving even though his numbers havent. Smith is a very nice receiver, not that impressed with the RBs or OL. Front 7 is legit, Brown is a beast, the LBs look good to me, secondary is underwhelming but serviceable against a bad QB like Mond.

So some thoughts on where we're at right now:

Offense - isn't flashy or overly dominant but is efficient enough to do what is needed to win.

Bo Nix is obviously still a freshman but is improving week to week, and what we got out of him is about as good as we could have expected in his first road start in a hostile environment. Missed some deep shots, but managed the offense well and hit his spots when needed. His legs also provide a dimension that Stidham couldn't.

Speaking of the running game, apparently Cadillac is the one that implemented the rotation, something we haven't had much of the past few seasons. Running a workhorse back into the ground has sort of become Malzahn's thing, and rotating efficiently like we did kept Boobee fresh going into the fourth yesterday.

The o-line still has major issues in the middle. Bobby Brown was wrecking the interior most of the afternoon yesterday. They showed a lot of grit though and seem to be coming along nicely.

Defense - The front seven is elite against the run. The line overall wrecked aTm in the trenches all day. Derrick Brown was beating people so badly he should be in jail this morning. The LBs are all human missiles when they get a bead on the ball carrier and will thump you.

The secondary still has issues in coverage, but nobody gets away from them in the open field.

Overall - We're in pretty good shape. Not quite on the level of Bama-UGA-LSU, but a scrappy team that you will hate to play and will leave you bruised. An offense that wont wow anybody but is improving and gets the job done while being protected by an elite defense. Pretty good formula.

A loss yesterday would have meant we'd be competing for 4th in the west, but we've still got everything in front of us and are steadily getting better.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Dub - I think this is fair. Nix looks better than his horrible numbers (was it 100yd?) and he has been improving even though his numbers havent. Smith is a very nice receiver, not that impressed with the RBs or OL. Front 7 is legit, Brown is a beast, the LBs look good to me, secondary is underwhelming but serviceable against a bad QB like Mond.
I think we're a legit top ten team at this point. In fact, you'll be hard pressed to find a team with a better resume than us.

Thing is, that's only good enough for fourth in conference as it stands. The three ahead of us are legit top five teams.

Maybe good things will happen with having two of those three at home.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
I think Auburn is better than Florida.
I think so too, even though I actually think they're better with Trask than Franks.

I think we win in the trenches, and I can't see Perine having to much success against our front seven. Not a big yards after contact guy.

If we were at home or neutral site, I'd take us easy. At the Swamp moves it into slightly favored territory for us.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
True. And it is amazing to me that a coach with the credentials of Jimbo Fisher cannot do a better job of getting his team to play. Must be the cult at aTm is too strong to influence a change.
Or Jimbo Fisher is an overrated coach that had a great college quarterback. Gus has outcoached him all 3 times, but Jamies Winston is the only reason he is 2-1 with no NCs instead of 3-0 with 1 NC.

bamamoss2

All-SEC
Sep 10, 2000
Cullman, Alabama
Or Jimbo Fisher is an overrated coach that had a great college quarterback. Gus has outcoached him all 3 times, but Jamies Winston is the only reason he is 2-1 with no NCs instead of 3-0 with 1 NC.
Good points. I really believed JF would bring quick results at aTm, but I am now rapidly changing my opinion of his "wonderfulness".

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I think so too, even though I actually think they're better with Trask than Franks.

I think we win in the trenches, and I can't see Perine having to much success against our front seven. Not a big yards after contact guy.

If we were at home or neutral site, I'd take us easy. At the Swamp moves it into slightly favored territory for us.
Florida is an improving team and I do agree with Trask they may be better than with Franks. Auburn has the best overall defense in the SEC so far and think they will stuff the Florida run and make Trask beat them which he cannot do. I expect a game similar to the TAMU game Auburn by 7-10 points.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.