Game Thread: Auburn at aTm

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I was impressed that in the third quarter when Aggy drew it with two score (21-10) that Malzahn didn't go full Ask Madden random playcalling and instead dialed in the run game and pounded their way all the way to the endzone.

He's prone to doing things that leave the game open to the opponent but instead he salted the game away.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Congrats, Dub! Probably not a popular opinion here but I'm glad you guys won. Like you said earlier this week...stay undefeated until you get to some *other* games later in the season.....cough cough....:)

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
I was impressed that in the third quarter when Aggy drew it with two score (21-10) that Malzahn didn't go full Ask Madden random playcalling and instead dialed in the run game and pounded their way all the way to the endzone.

He's prone to doing things that leave the game open to the opponent but instead he salted the game away.
That 6+ minute drive was a killer. Gus ultimately called the game necessary to get the W.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I don’t usually toot my own horn hard about stuff, and this is certainly something I REALLY DONT WANT TO BE RIGHT about, but all I’ve heard through the offseason, fall camp, and the previous 3 weeks was how Auburn was a 6 win team at best, they have a hard schedule, they are going to be hampered by a freshman QB, Mond is the real deal, Jimbo is leagues better than Gus, aTm is going to be good this year, and aTm is a team that will compete with Clemson and Alabama. Absolutely 100% of that has been proven to be false.

Auburn is going to most likely be a 7-0 team heading into Baton Rouge barring a huge upset. If y’all really think Florida will beat them, then I highly question how much y’all have seen of Florida. Florida is one of the most undisciplined teams in the country and they have a very vulnerable offense. I hope Auburn is 4-3 heading into Baton Rouge but it’s most likely 7-0 and at worst 6-1.

Ftr I’m not saying Auburn has a shot at the big boys (UA, LSU, and UGA) but I’m saying they are most likely better than the other 10 teams and are looking at a 9-10 win season with a bowl game.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I don’t usually toot my own horn hard about stuff, and this is certainly something I REALLY DONT WANT TO BE RIGHT about, but all I’ve heard through the offseason, fall camp, and the previous 3 weeks was how Auburn was a 6 win team at best, they have a hard schedule, they are going to be hampered by a freshman QB, Mond is the real deal, Jimbo is leagues better than Gus, aTm is going to be good this year, and aTm is a team that will compete with Clemson and Alabama. Absolutely 100% of that has been proven to be false.

Auburn is going to most likely be a 7-0 team heading into Baton Rouge barring a huge upset. If y’all really think Florida will beat them, then I highly question how much y’all have seen of Florida. Florida is one of the most undisciplined teams in the country and they have a very vulnerable offense. I hope Auburn is 4-3 heading into Baton Rouge but it’s most likely 7-0 and at worst 6-1.

Ftr I’m not saying Auburn has a shot at the big boys (UA, LSU, and UGA) but I’m saying they are most likely better than the other 10 teams and are looking at a 9-10 win season with a bowl game.
They are a 10 win team if things break evenly. A few breaks to the positive and they are contending for the playoffs. A couple of negative breaks and they're 9-3, 8-4.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
They are a 10 win team if things break evenly. A few breaks to the positive and they are contending for the playoffs. A couple of negative breaks and they're 9-3, 8-4.
I think Auburn is an above average NCAA team, but they will benefit from a subpar SEC. Really you have the Big 3 and Auburn and Mizzou that are worth a dern. I’m just not sold on Florida because of severe discipline issues and a very shaky offense.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL

Not from me you didn’t. I really thought they would win 10 games—and still think they will.

Last edited:

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

I thought auburn would waltz into Baton Rouge and get hammered, but their defense is outstanding and their offense may run through the Tigers. I still think they lose on the bayou. So without predicting the auburn vs UGA game or the Iron Bowl, I will just say they could wind up 10-2 or 9-3 at worst. I agree with 81, they will steam roll UF in Gainesville.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Do you think the Aggies are wondering about all that guaranteed $$$ for Jimbo?
The smart ones are. Well, really the smart ones already knew. He is vastly overrated. To think that A&M was going to challenge in the West this year was ludicrous. This also shows how lackluster Clemson really is at this point. They are not the top team.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
The smart ones are. Well, really the smart ones already knew. He is vastly overrated. To think that A&M was going to challenge in the West this year was ludicrous. This also shows how lackluster Clemson really is at this point. They are not the top team.
I agree. I can think of three SEC teams right now that I would now rank above Clemson.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Auburn is a 10-2 type team. They will challenge us and LSU for the West. A&M can shuffle to the back with the rest.
AU will likely have 2 losses, possibly 3, by the time they get to Alabama. A&M was a fraud from the beginning of the season. AU is a good team but will likely lose at least 2, probably 3 in the reg season. Tough schedule - good, but flawed team. A&M will lose at least 5, maybe 6, in the reg season.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
So some thoughts on where we're at right now:

Offense - isn't flashy or overly dominant but is efficient enough to do what is needed to win.

Bo Nix is obviously still a freshman but is improving week to week, and what we got out of him is about as good as we could have expected in his first road start in a hostile environment. Missed some deep shots, but managed the offense well and hit his spots when needed. His legs also provide a dimension that Stidham couldn't.

Speaking of the running game, apparently Cadillac is the one that implemented the rotation, something we haven't had much of the past few seasons. Running a workhorse back into the ground has sort of become Malzahn's thing, and rotating efficiently like we did kept Boobee fresh going into the fourth yesterday.

The o-line still has major issues in the middle. Bobby Brown was wrecking the interior most of the afternoon yesterday. They showed a lot of grit though and seem to be coming along nicely.

Defense - The front seven is elite against the run. The line overall wrecked aTm in the trenches all day. Derrick Brown was beating people so badly he should be in jail this morning. The LBs are all human missiles when they get a bead on the ball carrier and will thump you.

The secondary still has issues in coverage, but nobody gets away from them in the open field.

Overall - We're in pretty good shape. Not quite on the level of Bama-UGA-LSU, but a scrappy team that you will hate to play and will leave you bruised. An offense that wont wow anybody but is improving and gets the job done while being protected by an elite defense. Pretty good formula.

A loss yesterday would have meant we'd be competing for 4th in the west, but we've still got everything in front of us and are steadily getting better.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.