JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
USM wrapup: Tide’s offense asks defenses to pick their poison
by Jess Nicholas
TideFans Editor-In-Chief
September 21st, 2019 10:13 PM

At one point during his postgame comments, Southern Miss head coach Jay Hopson mentioned the difficulty of facing an Alabama team that had “two Heisman Trophy candidates.” The biggest question coming out of Saturday is which two players he was talking about. Obviously, quarterback Tua Tagovailoa is one. But was the other one wide […]

Read More Here

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
I thought Mike Bernier was in the transfer portal at one time. Am I wrong about that?
He was, but came back. I guess he just loves being part of the team.. either that or the places he wanted to go to did not need him. I hope he can contribute effectively. Seems like a great kid but I hope Reichard heals quickly and DeLong lives up to his name.

Swanny

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 7, 2004
Buried down the depth chart at guard, Kendall Randolph traded his No. 60 jersey for No. 85 and has already become Alabama’s second option at the inline Y-tight end position. The difference between him and Miller Forristall was clear from the outset. Randolph – 6’4”, 296 pounds versus Forristall at 6’5”, 242 – is a mismatch for smaller defensive ends when he locks up at the point of attack. It’s unclear as of yet whether he is an option as a receiver, but Randolph looks more athletic than his measurables would suggest. Having a short-yardage blocking option is the one notable thing this offense has lacked.

Jess, you have mentioned this several times since the beginning of the season as being a liability for our offense- and it has not gone unnoticed. There were several lapses yesterday in blocking by the tight end group. If we cannot find a consistent answer before November, this could very well come back to haunt us. Thanks for the write ups; much appreciated.

Tides_of_Change

1st Team
Sep 27, 2012
Good to see Barmore get some praise; he certainly impressed me with his aggressiveness late. We need a little more "mean" on the DL. Everybody knows we're keeping things simple with our current situation at LB, but one thing that can help is more tenacity on the line.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama
Much appreciated, Jess. Especially how timely you’re able to do it. I look forward to your analysis each week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Good to see Barmore get some praise; he certainly impressed me with his aggressiveness late. We need a little more "mean" on the DL. Everybody knows we're keeping things simple with our current situation at LB, but one thing that can help is more tenacity on the line.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
I really like Barmore playing tough. A little 'in your face' sometimes intimidates the opposition.
Especially when our guy shows a willingness to mix it up if necessary.
While it may sometimes draw a penalty, it serves notice that he isn't to be trifled with.

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Jess, you have mentioned this several times since the beginning of the season as being a liability for our offense- and it has not gone unnoticed. There were several lapses yesterday in blocking by the tight end group. If we cannot find a consistent answer before November, this could very well come back to haunt us. Thanks for the write ups; much appreciated.
Biggest hole left on the team, if Harris continues to play at ILB like he did yesterday. I'm going to be interested to see how the depth chart is utilized against Ole Miss, whether Randolph gets to play when the game matters.

I thought Mike Bernier was in the transfer portal at one time. Am I wrong about that?
He was, but came back. I guess he just loves being part of the team.. either that or the places he wanted to go to did not need him. I hope he can contribute effectively. Seems like a great kid but I hope Reichard heals quickly and DeLong lives up to his name.
Bernier is going to get you 35-40 yards per kick. That's all he's going to get, too. But he can speed up his motion when necessary and he seems to have a better feel for the rush.

DeLong just looks scared. I don't know how else to put it. His second punt was nearly blocked Saturday; he seemed to not recognize the threat coming off his left. In warm-ups prior to the start of the second half, he didn't hit a single punt that was above average. I haven't seen him hit anything yet this fall like he did as a true freshman in pregame warm-ups. Back then, he was inconsistent, but he could at least boom one out of every three. He seems to have lost that ability (although he's also gotten rid of the hitch in his walk-up that plagued him most of 2018). I just don't think he's the answer anymore. And with Reichard getting hurt on the kickoff, the temptation to expose him at punter probably goes away.

It took several games last year to convince the coaches to try Bernier. His first punt came at UT. We'll see if he gets another shot.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Great stuff as always Jess. And you are right...predict Bernier to be punting very soon but maybe not against the Black Bears since we probably will not have to punt on Saturday.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.