Butch Jones Appreciation Thread

Jkl0802

1st Team
Apr 9, 2015
Stuttgart, Germany
I saw Butch Jones congratulating players on the sideline several times and it seems to me he has become a well liked part of Alabama’s team; I think I like him too. Moreover, I have to think that Nick Saban also likes having him around; primarily because he is still there. Tennessee and Paul Finebaum spoke, and continue to speak, unkindly of him (Carnie Barker....if anyone resembles this description, it’s Finebaum himself)...but I think he left a very difficult situation in Knoxville and under the tutelage of Saban has become a positive influence on the team in Tuscaloosa. Thank you Butch Jones.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Being a 2nd lieutenant after you've been the general is never easy and shows a person's character. He seems to have adapted well...
I have to say, watching his replacement continue to struggle in Knoxville, Butch's relative lack of success there starts looking not so bad.
Is there something in the water in Knoxville lately?

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
I thought this thread was going have to do with his leaving the cupboard so bare there that they continue to be a dumpster fire. Too bad that he isn't getting the L's for leaving this many men on base sort of like when you get the earned runs even after you've left the game.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I thought this thread was going have to do with his leaving the cupboard so bare there that they continue to be a dumpster fire. Too bad that he isn't getting the L's for leaving this many men on base sort of like when you get the earned runs even after you've left the game.
This is like eating my cake now while I save it for later. Thank you Butch for what you did at Tennessee and thank you for blending in so well here.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I have to say, watching his replacement continue to struggle in Knoxville, Butch's relative lack of success there starts looking not so bad.
Both Butch and Pruitt went 5-7 (2-6) in their first season, but Butch went 7-6 in his second season, while Pruitt is currently 1-3.

I get that Jones had a lot more HC experience when he started at tennessee than does Pruitt, and JP has a chance to tie (or even surpass) Jones' second season record, but it looks highly unlikely.

They both inherited teams that were a mess - time will tell where JP ranks on the scale, but he's exactly off to an auspicious start...

Is there something in the water in Knoxville lately?
One can only hope... :)

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
Saban mentioned a year ago that "the players like him", and something else along the lines of he likes his offensive acumen and brings value to the team. Not bad for $40k/yr or whatever we steal him for (plus whatever Tennessee pays us to have him).

Here is to bringing in the next Vols HC cast-off, Pruitt, for $40k/yr for his defensive acumen. At this rate, we will have $5 million/yr of coaching, brought to us courtesy of the nutty Tennessee fan base, for less than the cost of a shift leader at McDonalds.

Bamaboda2

Sep 1, 2018
My thanks to Coach Jones for being an asset to our team. Thanks to you, JKL, for noticing, and stating the thread. RTR!

BayouBama75

All-SEC
Dec 7, 2001
Knoxville, TN
I'm not a fan of Butch Jones. He does fine at Bama because he has no real coaching responsibilities.. I think he left the cupboard in much worse shape when he left Tenn than when he arrived. I would just as soon he move on myself. He was a tuba player in the band in HS. Not sure he is the brightest coach we have brought on board. He may be a real likable guy but I am not in favor of him ever being one of our coaches.

Sep 30, 2002
Knoxville, TN USA
I'm not a fan of Butch Jones. He does fine at Bama because he has no real coaching responsibilities.. I think he left the cupboard in much worse shape when he left Tenn than when he arrived. I would just as soon he move on myself. He was a tuba player in the band in HS. Not sure he is the brightest coach we have brought on board. He may be a real likable guy but I am not in favor of him ever being one of our coaches.
All good points, but I seriously doubt that Jones has any real decision-making clout. He's probably more like an administrative assistant than a real coach.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.