The Days of Their Vols (The 2019 Vol meltdown thread) - Page 2
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Re: The Days of Their Vols (The 2019 Vol meltdown thread)

Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    Oh lord, Tennessee fans are now comparing themselves to Arkansas, Vandy, and Ole Miss to try to feel better.... But it doesn't help. Oh how the mighty have fallen.
    Texas Aggie fans are too, but as it relates to paying a coach $75m vs return on investment.
    I have a few UT fans, they are not saying much lately, some have resorted to paper bags!
    to 16 and beyond........

BamaNation First Team BigAlinKnoxville's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    I am literally sitting here in shock! I don't think I've ever read a more scathing article in my life and I even went as far as saving it on my computer on all its glory.

And to think that it's on MSN.

Seriously, everyone here needs to read this.

Quote Originally Posted by CHATTBRIT View Post
    As I live in Orangeland, it is not uncommon on the eve of the football season to see numerous cars adorned with flags on them with the big (ugly) orange T on them. Now, we are nearly into October I haven't seen a one for quite a while. Also, I used to see a bunch of Tennessee vanity plates (mostly women's basketball) but they have even gone the way of the Dodo as Tennessee fans don't think the team are worth the extra $25.
    Yep! A few years ago (can't remember exactly when), the season had just kicked off and it occurred to me that I hadn't seen a single team flag flying from a car anywhere. It was strange.

Then one day, I finally saw a team flag on a car here in Knox County. It proudly stated:

"Alabama Crimson Tide."

BamaNation Hall of Fame

very charitable of that fan to assume they beat UAB
    I owe it to the people to have a signature...so here goes nothing!

BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar

Never thot it would get worse than Fulmer 08' and the WY debacle. So Fire him!
    It Did!

Never thot it could get worse than boy wonder bolting after 1 yr only 2 wks from signing day. Good riddance!
    It did!

Never thot it could get worse than Rommel in the Desert. So Fire him last year!
    It did!

Never thought it could get worse than Champs of Life & 5 Star Hearts. So please get rid of this guy!
    It did!

Never thot it could get worse than 1-11 and a beatdown by the Mighty Panthers. Fire this pretender now

After past losses I have always noticed a great deal of back and forth snark, disagreement and name calling on VN. It seems this season week by week it has gotten tamer and posters seem resigned to our current sucky status. I'm sure that alcohol fueled a lot of the venom in the past so my question for you is, has Battered Vol Syndrome sucked our energy for drinking during the game then posting on VN after the game right out of you guys and gals? Have we subsituted tranquilizers for alcohol or have we simply given up and become apathetic? What say you?
    I tried not to be a NegaVol but even my untrained eyes can see that we are in a world of hurt. Seems there is blame to go around but it ultimately lands at the feet of one person.
    Was hoping to see us return to national prominence before I die, but unless I live longer than I expect or some miracle happens soon it isn't going to happen.
    GBO and I hope we get it fixed soon
    Apathy has finally set in for most.

Save the few that predicted a win today because they live in a world where unicorns prance around pots of gold, nobody expected a win today. There were a few moments in the game that might have given hope, but then reality set back in.

We are cursed. And furthermore, the majority of fans just don't care any longer.

We are being talked about in the same way Nebraska is. "Hey, remember when Nebraska was wrecking fools?" Oh, sure, they've had a couple of years when they were competitive, but how the mighty have fallen.

Just like us. And we're still wandering in the wilderness.
    Today was the first time I actively walked away from the FL game. After the end zone INT I gathered the kids up and headed to the playground. Came back and saw FL up 24-3 and turned it back off.

Life is too short to waste watching crappy football.

I love it
    "Aut viam inveniam aut faciam."

Hannibal

BamaNation All-American BamaDMD's Avatar

The history of the program is just that. History.

There isnít a recruit alive that saw Tennessee play at a high level. Tennessee isnít an attractive place to be. There isnít a big name coach coming here. Itís dead, itís over. That hope is gone.

The roster sucks, the fans suck (ďfire everyone all the time, this is TennesseeĒ).

This is Tennessee, an SEC bottom dweller that cannot he resurrected in 2-3 years. It doesnít matter who you hire. There is zero talent on that field and a complete absence of a winning culture.

Own it. Embrace the suck and realize that no big name coach is ever coming.
    They are near rocky top bottom...

BamaNation All-American CoolBreeze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    very charitable of that fan to assume they beat UAB
    Agreed. They want no part of the Blazers.
    "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present." Oogway, Kung Fu Panda

Right back at you Fred, Daniel and everyone else. 143

BamaNation Second Team

Quote Originally Posted by from that article
    Tennessee athletic director Phillip Fulmer has earned the reputation as a relentless backstabber.
    Can someone advise on a detailed synopsis of this, either a book or long form article, that provides more in depth explanations beyond simply "Fullmer is a backstabber"?

Quote Originally Posted by ARollTideDad View Post
    Can someone advise on a detailed synopsis of this, either a book or long form article, that provides more in depth explanations beyond simply "Fullmer is a backstabber"?
    I'm too lazy to search for a link right now, but be advised, the entire story is harder to follow than five seasons of Turn: Washington's Spies.

In fact, it was difficult to keep the whole story straight as it was unfolding. And as of now, most of us are happy to have forgotten most of it.

But since you asked a sincere question, I'll give you a brief synopsis. Others can fill in the (many) details I've left out.

Back in the early 2000's, we had a dirty booster in Memphis named Logan Young. Tennessee had a dirty booster, also in Memphis, named Roy Adams who, by the way, was a flagrant homosexual. These two were former friends and both were dirty, with Adams openly bragging on the old Gridscape (Vols) board about paying players. Long story short, Logan Young allegedly paid a fat, slow defensive lineman $200k to sign with Alabama.

On the day our punishment was announced by the NCAA, Roy Adams went on Gridscape and posted EXACTLY what our punishment was going to be and he got every single detail correct.

After we got burned by the NCAA, it came out later that Phillip Fulmer had been "secret witness #2" against us with the NCAA. He was the Viles' head coach at the time. Secret witness #1 was a disgruntled recruiting analyst.

Fulmer was reported as telling at least one recruit, "Alabama will be out of business in a few years."

There were rumors for months that Tee Martin, the former UT quarterback on their NC team, was being paid by a UT booster down in Mobile, Alabama named Diane Sanford. This woman had attended UT along with everyone else in her family and had orange crap all over her office. Once the wire receipts proving that Tee was sent money were published in a newspaper, what happened to UT? NOTHING. Why? Because the NCAA declared Diane Sanford as "not a booster." Altogether, Tee received about $4500.00 if I remember correctly.

Previously, we had a player who bought an old beater Jeep Cherokee from a tote-the-note lot in Tuscaloosa. That player transferred to Florida, failed to make his payments, and the Cherokee was repossessed. We got burned over that because an Alabama coach or assistant (I forget which) had "recommended" that car lot to him, even though zero money was exchanged.

So in short, UT was getting away with murder while Alabama was getting a deep probe by the NCAA. The SEC commissioner, Roy Kramer, was definitely not our friend.

What I just posted is approximately 0.0125% of the entire story, but to be honest, I'm thankful to have forgotten most of it.

But rest assured that the Bama Nation will never forget what Phillip Fulmer tried to do to us.

BamaNation All-American Padreruf's Avatar

Most UT fans I know have just given up...they really don't care any more. Depression usually factors in a feeling of helplessness...I care about them, but couldn't be happier for the UT athletic administration and Pillsbury.
    "The greatest evil in the world is not 'not knowing;' it is not knowing that you do not know." Alfred North Whitehead

BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ARollTideDad View Post
    Backstabber could be talking about 2 different instances.

1) Is the Albert Means situation and 2) Is how Fulmer got Johnny Majors fired and assumed the role of HC at Tennessee.
    "Aut viam inveniam aut faciam."

Hannibal

1) Is the Albert Means situation and 2) Is how Fulmer got Johnny Majors fired and assumed the role of HC at Tennessee.
    It's actually both.

Many also believe that Fulmer will fire Pruitt and take over as HC sometime this year.

Beat me to it - I'm sure it's the latter.
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius