Dan Wolken Creates An UGA Narrative........

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Conservative play calling that cost UGA the game (an interesting definition to say the least)

Exactly! The problem with his offense is aggressive playcalling is pretty low percentage unless their WRs make a 1-on-1 win. Look how many plays we can get in our offense where the WR doesn't even have to make a play to get open...they're just open by design. Julio's best season here was 1100 yards in 2010. If he played in our offenses since 2014, he'd probably had 3x 1500+ yards seasons.

Last edited:

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
I think the main problem with KS is that while he learned so much from Coach Saban, he is stuck with what he learned at that time. Coach Saban has continued to evolve, KS has not...
IMO, his nature is to play it super safe, thus even when he tries to take a chance, e.g., LSU and Bama last year, the effort comes off clumsily because it is so unnatural. Vs LSU and Alabama, both the timing and execution were awful. You could see both attempts coming from a mile away, one at the beginning of the game, the other at the end, and both attempts were executed horribly with catastrophic effect. Vs LSU set the tone for the game, vs Bama unmasked the barely hidden sense of impending doom and the desperation the program feels when facing Alabama.

By contrast, Les Miles, the cat burglar, captain of the crazy cajuns, could come to the LOS and tell you that he was going to run a trick play and you would get discombobulated not knowing what he might do; then they might successfully run it up the gut or the holder might execute a perfectly flicked no-look lateral over his shoulder. It had a great chance of working because it was so natural to him and LSU and they had no fear. That's not Kirby or UGA.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
IMO, his nature is to play it super safe, thus even when he tries to take a chance, e.g., LSU and Bama last year, the effort comes off clumsily because it is so unnatural. Vs LSU and Alabama, both the timing and execution were awful. You could see both attempts coming from a mile away, one at the beginning of the game, the other at the end, and both attempts were executed horribly with catastrophic effect. Vs LSU set the tone for the game, vs Bama unmasked the barely hidden sense of impending doom and the desperation the program feels when facing Alabama.

By contrast, Les Miles, the cat burglar, captain of the crazy cajuns, could come to the LOS and tell you that he was going to run a trick play and you would get discombobulated not knowing what he might do; then they might successfully run it up the gut or the holder might execute a perfectly flicked no-look lateral over his shoulder. It had a great chance of working because it was so natural to him and LSU and they had no fear. That's not Kirby or UGA.
True. 81 hit it way above when he said that it was when Smart made the bonehead calls...

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
Coming into the game ND was near the bottom in rush defense, while UGA had been dominant running the ball. Yet the Irish were able to largely limit the ground game. I haven’t looked closely or reviewed any breakdown videos. However Notre Dame did it, you can be sure other teams are going to take note of what they put on tape

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Too early to make a lot of proclamations on defensive or offensive stats. Louisville has App State's former coach at the helm and App State have always been a stout rushing offense. Don't know a lot about New Mexico but when you have nearly a dozen players that registered a rush attempt I'm just going to assume said team is also a run-heavy offense.

Alabama would probably be dead-last in the nation in rush defense if we had played 4 straight triple option teams to open the season...and may've even played relatively well in terms of scoring defense in the process.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
I think the FG on 4th and probably only 1/2 yard was a bad call myself. The ND defense was very tired at that point and even if you have a great kicker there could be a bad snap or the kick could get blocked.
I think the field goal was the right call. Even if you make the 1st down you still have to get a touchdown or will kick the FG from close in. His kicker is automatic and the 3 points made the lead very strong for UGA at that point.

Notre Dame played very well. UGA did what it needed to.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Kirby Does choke away many games due to his play calling. I think Fromm was handcuffed both times vs Alabama in favor of the run. The two interceptions that he threw in the NCG were kinda flukey and miraculous . THe first one was good concentration by Tony, and second one hit off a helmet.

The second game, Kirby should've thrown it more because we sure as hell couldn't stop the pass that day, and we couldn't stop Nauta.

I think Kirby's playcalling problem is more of WHEN he calls than WHAT he calls.
I think this is a fair assessment.

I don't even disagree with Wolken that Smart is rather conservative play-calling wise (in general).

But he compared a recent game to two games that had almost nothing in common with this past weekend.
It was a flawed comparison from the start on Wolken's part.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Kirby Does choke away many games due to his play calling. I think Fromm was handcuffed both times vs Alabama in favor of the run. The two interceptions that he threw in the NCG were kinda flukey and miraculous . THe first one was good concentration by Tony, and second one hit off a helmet.

The second game, Kirby should've thrown it more because we sure as hell couldn't stop the pass that day, and we couldn't stop Nauta.

I think Kirby's playcalling problem is more of WHEN he calls than WHAT he calls.
But isn't that the secret to playcalling all the time? Anyone can call a play...but can you call the right play at the right time? It is both when and what...you cannot separate them.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.