Dan Wolken Creates An UGA Narrative........

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
....and shows once again he knows not one damned thing about football.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...ia-notre-dame-kirby-smart-offense/2409648001/

I want to pick out a couple of points here.

To say it plainly, Georgia very nearly gagged away a game it should have strangled the life out of, a game that had no business being in doubt in the final two minutes when Notre Dame got the ball back near midfield with two minutes left. And it almost happened for the same reason Georgia has fallen short against Alabama in the biggest moments the last two years: Instead of landing the knockout punch, the Bulldogs try to sit on the lead and win it with their defense.

OK, I'm gonna assume that Dan maybe had a hot date with a coed or something and didn't see Kirby Smart GO FOR IT on 4th and 11 with a FAKE PUNT in the SEC title game last December. I'll be bringing that up again.

Smart’s conservative playbook with the lead also included the decision to kick a 43-yard field goal on fourth-and-1 with 6:54 remaining rather than leaning on one of the nation’s best offensive lines and Swift, who runs violently and submits to tacklers infrequently, to get one measly yard.

Smart decided to kick a field goal because:
a) he may have the best FG kicker in the country right now
b) it means Notre Dame has to score TWO TOUCHDOWNS and make BOTH PATs in order to win the game

The field goal put Georgia up 23-10, and the thinking was that it would take two Notre Dame touchdowns from that point to beat them. Of course, even if Georgia had gone for the fourth down there and failed, the same math would have applied.

Actually, the same math would NOT have applied, Dan. If the score is 23-23, there is immense pressure on a college kicker to win the game. Plus, suppose (for the sake of argument) that UGA had two screw-ups (it wouldn't be the first time even under Kirby) and the Irish scored two TDs with time left. There's a HUGE difference for what your team has to do when trailing by one and trailing by four, especially when you've got (as I said earlier) perhaps the best FG kicker in the country, certainly a guy capable of 50-yard bombs to win the game if necessary.

College Football Playoff championship game two years ago: Georgia takes a 20-10 lead over Alabama into the fourth quarter, takes the ball out of Fromm’s hands to try to run the clock, loses.

After the score was 20-10 UGA, Georgia ran 13 runs and 8 pass plays, admittedly heavily towards the run.

How good was Fromm? He was 1 for 5 for 13 yards and two sacks for -21 yards, and he got a yard rushing.
UGA didn't pass because Alabama wouldn't let them pass.

And btw Dan - on the last offensive play that UGA ran before Alabama scored to make it 20-10......with the score 20-7......Fromm dropped back to pass and (wait for it) THREW AN INTERCEPTION!!!!

Kirby didn't get conservative in the national title game, he was facing a helluva defense.

SEC championship game last season: Georgia takes a 28-14 lead over Alabama in the third quarter, starts playing not to lose, gets predictable on offense, loses.

Again, Dan, I hope you were with some frisky coed or some other acceptable excuse as to why you apparently did not watch the damned ballgame upon which you're commenting.

Georgia led, 28-14. They then drove 62 yards in 6 plays - one of them a 55-yard pass play, Dan - and then Blankenship missed what for him should be a chip shot field goal, a score that would have made it 31-14, UGA.

Better yet, in the next series UGA intercepted Tua. Kirby didn't get conservative - he was at HIS OWN THREE-YARD LINE. So he called three runs and punted on 4th and one from his own 12 (Dan probably thinks Kirby should have gone for it).

After Tua got a quick score, UGA got the ball back and here's the play sequence:
Fromm rush for 3
Fromm pass to Ridley for 11 (first down)
Holyfield run for no gain
Fromm rush for 8 yards
3rd and 2 play - Fromm tries to (wait for it) PASS.....incomplete

But I'm not done even yet.

On the next series, Alabama was held to 3 and out, UGA got the ball and here's the play sequence:
Fromm pass for 7 yards on first down
Stanley rush for 12 yards (first down UGA)
Fromm pass incomplete
Fromm pass to Ridley for 6 (3rd and 4)
Fromm incomplete pass

UGA ran more PASSES when up by 7 than they did runs, Dan.
UGA ran more PASSES when up by 14 points (11-7) than they did runs, Dan.

And those numbers are skewed by the fact that three of the 7 runs were inside their own ten-yard line. (Two of Fromm's runs were actually pass plays where he escaped, so they're actually pass plays).

And after all that, Dan, Kirby Smart called the most boneheaded play in SEC title game history when he did NOT go conservative but instead called a fake punt at midfield on 4th and 11.

DID YOU NOT WATCH THE GAME, DAN?????

The fact the Fighting Irish even had a chance to do it in the first place should raise some questions about whether Smart wants to change or if he will keep on doing the same thing when it’s tight.

Except, you're full of crap, Dan, because he didn't do the same thing. Kirby Smart has plenty of flaws as a head coach, and Alabama fans will never cease pointing them out. But in reality, Smart didn't do anything wrong in any of these games except for the one play that WAS NOT conservative. His offense couldn't do jack the entire second half of the NCG - their one score came on a fluke where the receiver was probably out of bounds and they got 80 yards in one play.

The thing Dan doesn't seem capable of admitting is the reality that in neither of the last two years was UGA the better team than Alabama. If Tua starts the NCG, it's not even a contest.

Their coach lacking the courage to go win the game when it’s there for the taking may well be the biggest obstacle in their path.

Except he DID win the game you're citing, numb nuts.

=================

THIS is what drives me bonkers about commentators. They have a narrative and then they make appeals to that narrative that contradict it and yet get paid for it.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Kirby Does choke away many games due to his play calling. I think Fromm was handcuffed both times vs Alabama in favor of the run. The two interceptions that he threw in the NCG were kinda flukey and miraculous . THe first one was good concentration by Tony, and second one hit off a helmet.

The second game, Kirby should've thrown it more because we sure as hell couldn't stop the pass that day, and we couldn't stop Nauta.

I think Kirby's playcalling problem is more of WHEN he calls than WHAT he calls.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think there is a glimmer of truth in what he's saying but he's also trying a bit too hard with the connections to the Alabama defeats. The UGA problem is not the random conservatism sprouting up late in game but the overarching offensive identity. They're running the 2008-2011 (McElwain era) Alabama offense in The Year of Lord Two-Thousand and Nineteen. There just isn't much room for aggressiveness in that offense. Exotic routes are post/corner off a play fake or a long developing square in that assumes the OL is going to be The Great Wall. The average pass play is some hook route near the 1st down marker or a crossing pattern. This offense is built to chew up clock and sit on leads not striking daggers to the hearts of the opponent. So when the game is close late, they're just executing their offense.

What he should be writing about is how Georgia's system is basically relying on a year like this one where it seems their two biggest competitors in the conference have defensive problems that might just allow TOPball/wadball to work out. It might work this year for them if Alabama/LSU don't get better defensively but long-term they're gonna have more 2017/2018 heartbreaks if they keep this offense.

DawgAlum2054

1st Team
Dec 20, 2018
As a Georgia fan, its hard to be upset about losing a top 10 matchup. Of course there is going to be critique in every win or loss. I do believe that many fans are the most frustrated with offensive play calling and not turning Fromm loose. Fromm and the offense seem to work much better in a hurry up and while using tempo. ND had their 2 fake injuries during this time in the game. If there is one thing to change after the game, its going with tempo more often.

That and working on special teams...

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I think there is a glimmer of truth in what he's saying but he's also trying a bit too hard with the connections to the Alabama defeats. The UGA problem is not the random conservatism sprouting up late in game but the overarching offensive identity. They're running the 2008-2011 (McElwain era) Alabama offense in The Year of Lord Two-Thousand and Nineteen. There just isn't much room for aggressiveness in that offense. Exotic routes are post/corner off a play fake or a long developing square in that assumes the OL is going to be The Great Wall. The average pass play is some hook route near the 1st down marker or a crossing pattern. This offense is built to chew up clock and sit on leads not striking daggers to the hearts of the opponent. So when the game is close late, they're just executing their offense.

What he should be writing about is how Georgia's system is basically relying on a year like this one where it seems their two biggest competitors in the conference have defensive problems that might just allow TOPball/wadball to work out. It might work this year for them if Alabama/LSU don't get better defensively but long-term they're gonna have more 2017/2018 heartbreaks if they keep this offense.
I had a similar response to this thread, then didn’t post. I know Georgia was Kirby’s dream job ( I guess) , but it’s looking like Nicks move to a more modern offense made the decision to leave easier.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Kirby Does choke away many games due to his play calling. I think Fromm was handcuffed both times vs Alabama in favor of the run. The two interceptions that he threw in the NCG were kinda flukey and miraculous . THe first one was good concentration by Tony, and second one hit off a helmet.

The second game, Kirby should've thrown it more because we sure as hell couldn't stop the pass that day, and we couldn't stop Nauta.

I think Kirby's playcalling problem is more of WHEN he calls than WHAT he calls.
While I think this is a cogent and fair criticism of Smart, it doesn't justify whatever Wolken thinks he's seeing.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
If ND had stuffed the 4th and 1 and UGA didn’t score the FG, ND would have most likely at least took it to OT, but probably wins the game. ND stuffed UGA’s running game a lot more in that game than I ever thought they would.

Kirby played smart (no pun intended) and survived to advance.

What I took away from that game is either ND has improved or UGA has taken a little step back from last year. I feel like it’s the latter. UGA lost a ton of playmakers from last year, and through so far it has caught up to them, I think it will.

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
College football is changing so fast. At least CNS has tried to change with it. When I watched that UGA vs ND game I kept thinking to myself, “Wow, this is just like Bama was with Jake Coker.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
I think the FG on 4th and probably only 1/2 yard was a bad call myself. The ND defense was very tired at that point and even if you have a great kicker there could be a bad snap or the kick could get blocked. Going for the TD there would have been the knockout blow and if you can't make a half yard when you need to then you don't deserve to win. I don't think Wolken can compare this to the Bama games though.

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
Wasn’t Wolken one of those claiming the dynasty was over in 2015???? I should have been a sports writer. Get paid whether I know what I am talking about or not.

UGADawginVA

Suspended
Dec 24, 2017
I could not agree more... Kirbys downfall will be his conservative play calling and coaching.

The calls last night were pitiful.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I think the FG on 4th and probably only 1/2 yard was a bad call myself. The ND defense was very tired at that point and even if you have a great kicker there could be a bad snap or the kick could get blocked.
What's amazing about this assessment is that never in the history of football has there ever been a bungled snap or a running back slip in the backfield or a botched handoff.

I get what you're saying, but I don't think it was a bad call.

Going for the TD there would have been the knockout blow
Given that they won the game, the field goal was the knockout blow.

and if you can't make a half yard when you need to then you don't deserve to win. I don't think Wolken can compare this to the Bama games though.
Wolken basically decided, "Look, UGA is probably gonna play Alabama - and they've lost twice - so what happened last night that I can use to tie this game together with UGA's recent losses. I mean, they'll likely lose to Alabama anyway, so how can I look like a prophet? I know - they make conservative play calls (even though - as I demonstrated above - the games he cites don't support the conclusion he's making).

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Wasn’t Wolken one of those claiming the dynasty was over in 2015???? I should have been a sports writer. Get paid whether I know what I am talking about or not.
Yes, he was. He and Clay Travis, in particular - at least Travis made his repentance quite public, though.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Was KS making the offensive calls -- or just on 4th and ½ yard? TBH, I've never been overly impressed with his intelligence. Does he work hard? Recruit well? Run a good program? Yes...

But -- really great coaches are also very smart, knowing not only what to do but when to do it. PB had it...so does NS. I just don't see it with KS. Maybe it is his haircut which looks like a 4 year old. I didn't see it when he was our defensive coordinator. He had a ton of help them...but just seemed to jump up and down a lot.

Our biggest threat this year is AU...their defense is for real and Nix just doesn't make a lot of mistakes. They will wear out UGA...

UGADawginVA

Suspended
Dec 24, 2017
From dawgnation.com...so true...

Coaching (D+)

Credit to Georgia for halftime adjustments, but Notre Dame arrived with the better game plan and use of its personnel. The Irish coached to win and UGA coached not to lose, and the Bulldogs nearly gave the game away in the fourth quarter (Alabama, anyone?). Georgia’s reluctance to turn Fromm loose using tempo more often is curious considering the quarterback’s efficiency. The inability to account for the tight end (9-108) was mind-bogging. Cole Kmet was running wide open too many times. Some offensive personnel usage decisions will be worth reviewing.

78Alum

All-American
Aug 1, 2007
Alabaster, AL
Was KS making the offensive calls -- or just on 4th and ½ yard? TBH, I've never been overly impressed with his intelligence. Does he work hard? Recruit well? Run a good program? Yes...

But -- really great coaches are also very smart, knowing not only what to do but when to do it. PB had it...so does NS. I just don't see it with KS. Maybe it is his haircut which looks like a 4 year old. I didn't see it when he was our defensive coordinator. He had a ton of help them...but just seemed to jump up and down a lot.

Our biggest threat this year is AU...their defense is for real and Nix just doesn't make a lot of mistakes. They will wear out UGA...
I think the main problem with KS is that while he learned so much from Coach Saban, he is stuck with what he learned at that time. Coach Saban has continued to evolve, KS has not...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.