Question: Who is your top 6 after Week 4?

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
1. Clemson -- best until someone beats them...best all around team.
2. Alabama -- best offense...defense improving.
3. LSU -- good offense...defense MIA at times.
4. UGA -- good offense and defense, but something is missing...
5. OSU -- untested...
6. AU -- so-so offense with the best defense. They will be in every game for this reason.
7. Wisconsin -- a really, really all around good football team in a very weak league. See #5 above...

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
The more I think about Clemson, the more I think their schedule is going to be their undoing this year.

They are going to breeze through it, never be tested, never have to pay for their mistakes, and thus never have to truly correct them. The Texas A&M game helped a bit but we are going to find out that A&M is a 6-6 team at the end of the year. Similar to us last year, where we destroyed everyone until we ran up on Georgia.

This isn't going to stop Clemson from going 13-0, but I don't think they advance to the NC game this time around. I know we've gone back and forth on this, and a lot of us think a tough schedule isn't any good anymore because of the injuries it inevitably brings on. But I think there has to be some sort of balance, and it's not going to be there for Clemson this year.

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
1. Clemson
1. Georgia
1. LSU
1. Alabama
1. Oh St

6. Oklahoma
7. Auburn
8. Wisconsin

I dont have enough data against quality teams to separate 1 through 5 right now.

- I *suspect* Clemson might be overrated based on QB interceptions and graduation of DL.
- I thought Georgia would whip ND harder than they did
- LSU giving up a surprising amount of points, Burrow is a revelation so far
- Worried about Alabama defensive freshmen coming up to speed. Entire hopes rest on QB right now
- Other than garbage opponents, Oh St seems to be doing the right things so far. 42 points in one quarter?

- Oklahoma is a notch lower, they have played garbage and we already know that there are only about 5 teams that can stone Jalen. Will he have improved against elite defenses?

- Auburn is a tough out for anyone, ugly but getting it done for now. They are winning games with 100yd out of their QB.

- Wisconsin, I am not impressed that the win over Michigan means much, but at least they did it in style. It was not nearly as close as the score.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The more I think about Clemson, the more I think their schedule is going to be their undoing this year.

They are going to breeze through it, never be tested, never have to pay for their mistakes, and thus never have to truly correct them. The Texas A&M game helped a bit but we are going to find out that A&M is a 6-6 team at the end of the year. Similar to us last year, where we destroyed everyone until we ran up on Georgia.

This isn't going to stop Clemson from going 13-0, but I don't think they advance to the NC game this time around. I know we've gone back and forth on this, and a lot of us think a tough schedule isn't any good anymore because of the injuries it inevitably brings on. But I think there has to be some sort of balance, and it's not going to be there for Clemson this year.
I agree, but only to a point. They will also be healthy and because of their ability to stay healthy, have a lot of time with their units playing together. That creates a more cohesive team, with more cohesive units across the offense and defense. That is especially important given the inexperience that they went into this season with on defense.

Last year their schedule was a joke all the way to the Alabama game.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I'm not doing a ranking based on the wins the teams have at this point but instead a "Where I think they'll be at the end of the season"
1. Alabama
2. Clemson
3. Oklahoma (Wisconsin would actually probably be ranked ahead of OU but I like the matchups better this way)
4. Wisconsin
5. Georgia
6. Ohio State

7. LSU
8. Auburn

Last edited:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I agree, but only to a point. They will also be healthy and because of their ability to stay healthy, have a lot of time with their units playing together. That creates a more cohesive team, with more cohesive units across the offense and defense. That is especially important given the inexperience that they went into this season with on defense.

Last year their schedule was a joke all the way to the Alabama game.
But they were tested by a better Texas A&M team on the road, and Syracuse took them to the brink. It's just a hunch. Maybe some wishful thinking too.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
But they were tested by a better Texas A&M team on the road, and Syracuse took them to the brink. It's just a hunch. Maybe some wishful thinking too.
Those games - They learned that they needed to change QBs in the aTm game as Bryant was the starter. You guys killed aTm last year. They were not any better last year than this year. They do not have that QB problem this year.

Lawrence got hurt in the Syracuse game in the 2nd quarter. They learned that their backup QB is good, but not Trevor.

I guess that my point is that all lessons learned by Clemson last year were a result of QB problems. The rest of their team was set. They just needed to stay healthy, and their schedule allowed that to happen. They face a similar schedule this year.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I'm not doing a ranking based on the wins the teams have at this point but instead a "Where I think they'll be at the end of the season"
1. Alabama
2. Clemson
3. Oklahoma (Wisconsin would actually probably be ranked ahead of OU but I like the matchups better this way)
4. Wisconsin
5. Georgia
6. Ohio State

7. LSU
8. Auburn

Have any stock tips? ;)

We have not been tested yet—and won’t be until November. I’ll remain cautious in my outlook until we actually play someone. Beating little sisters of the poor 50-10 every week doesn’t mean much of you can’t beat the big dogs on the road in November.

Last edited:

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Wisconsin hosts tOSU in Madison next month and likely will meet again in the B1G Championship game. Oklahoma will likely play Texas twice also. Clemson plays nobody. The SEC has four potential conference champs: Georgia, Alabama, LSU and Auburn. Georgia has the advantage of only having to play Auburn while the other three all face each other.

Last edited:

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012
1A. Clemson: One of the best teams, literally the only flaw is Trevor Lawrence’s turnovers

1B. Alabama: Air Bama being Air Bama, running game/OL improving, defense isn’t as bad as previously though

3. Georgia: Solid team, wasn’t too impressed with their performance vs ND but they got the job done

4. Wisconsin: They have a little machine up there in Madison, reminds me of the early Saban teams

5. Auburn: Not sold on Bo but their defense will keep them in most games this season (and the refs since they don’t wanna call defensive holding)

6. Ohio State: One of the more talented teams, just haven’t played anyone

7. LSU: May seem foolish to rank them 7th but their defense is becoming a problem imo, giving up that many points to Vandy team that really has no offense? I’m beginning to think that our meeting in November will be a repeat of the Orange Bowl last year.

scrybe

3rd Team
Sep 6, 2019
The OU defense is improving under Grinch, but I'm in no way convinced it will be good enough by the end of the season to hang with either Bama or Clemson. On the other hand, I have no doubt the Sooners would beat Auburn handily. An Oklahoma-Georgia game would be a toss-up. Just my two cents.

As it stands today: 1. Clemson, 2. Bama, 3. OU/Georgia (tie), 5. Wisconsin, 6. tOSU.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The OU defense is improving under Grinch, but I'm in no way convinced it will be good enough by the end of the season to hang with either Bama or Clemson. On the other hand, I have no doubt the Sooners would beat Auburn handily. An Oklahoma-Georgia game would be a toss-up. Just my two cents.

As it stands today: 1. Clemson, 2. Bama, 3. OU/Georgia (tie), 5. Wisconsin, 6. tOSU.
Auburn could slow Jalen down better than any other team in the country. Their defense is built to stop his run game. He would be a pure passer against them. I honestly have no idea how that game would pan out.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Auburn could slow Jalen down better than any other team in the country. Their defense is built to stop his run game. He would be a pure passer against them. I honestly have no idea how that game would pan out.
We sorta already saw it happen 2 years ago. Granted, much has changed since then, and Jalen has gotten better as a passer. I would not cast aside Auburn as casually as scrybe has done.

scrybe

3rd Team
Sep 6, 2019
I'll give you a hint, B1GTide: OU by 17.

We sorta already saw it happen 2 years ago. Granted, much has changed since then, and Jalen has gotten better as a passer. I would not cast aside Auburn as casually as scrybe has done.
Oklahoma's offense is more than just Jalen. And OU's balanced (run/pass) attack would shred Auburn's defense.

Wish I could be as confident of the results in a Bama/OU or Clemson/OU matchup.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I'll give you a hint, B1GTide: OU by 17.

Oklahoma's offense is more than just Jalen. And OU's balanced (run/pass) attack would shred Auburn's defense.

Wish I could be as confident of the results in a Bama/OU or Clemson/OU matchup.
Let's have Jalen go down for a few games and see how much of OU's offense is "more than just Jalen." It all... every bit... goes through Jalen. Take the run away and it's going to get real hairy, real quick. Granted, taking the run away is going to be a tall order for any defense and that's why OU is so hard to stop or even slow down right now. But Auburn's front 4 are as good as any right now.

OU is not alone in this. Right now, we are Tua or bust. BUT we are different in that we aren't depending on Tua's legs to get the running game going. OU is depending on Jalen for that. OU's RBs are getting so much space because of the threat of Jalen keeping the ball. If our OL and RBs ever get in sync, you'll see what true balance is.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.