I have a QB question

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Sorry, no. Mac is not ready for LSU or Auburn - probably not aTm. He needs reps.

Tua does not pull off the win in the 2017 CFPCG if not for the many, many meaningful reps he got in blowout games that season.
I completely agree with B1G. Mack is not ready for TAMU, LSU or Auburn. Mack needs the reps in games that have not already been decided. Let him play against Tennessee, Arkansas, and Ole Miss after we are up 14-21 points rather than send him in in the 4th quarter with a 50 point lead and let him handoff. I don't think this will happen in order to pad Tua's stats for the Heisman run.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Lia will redshirt barring injury to Tua.

Getting him reps in blowouts.

Mac needs reps. But he also needs to be healthy. That’s more important than reps.

3rd QBs won’t play in SEC games. Even in blowouts.
Mac's rep - at least according to some on this board, with whom I don't differ - may precede him...to the MAC.

Taulia ain't RSing unless it's "accidentally on purpose" (close games where Tua plays throughout with Mac mopping up either as lead blocker on fake FG attempts or Victory formation maestro. Mac's hanging on and hanging in as No. 2A QB now compared to Lia as Tua II QB (throws right, throws well-runs well, with the "it" factor+, just in taking the snap).

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
There's no question that Mac would get the start if Tua were hurt, but the question is does Mac have enough playmaking ability to win a big game. Bringing in Lia could be an attempt to prepare him to possibly come in and play in a situation where we have gotten behind, similar to how his brother did against Georgia. Lia does seem to have some skill.

FYI I don't believe it's about keeping the family happy. With the portal allowing most anyone to transfer without issue Saban would not have time to coach if he had to kiss the rear of every disgruntled player.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
Yeah, but nothing else makes sense - nothing.
Well, it may be that Mac doesn't have the same potential that Lia has. If Lia had 3 or 4 more inches in height he may have been as heavily recruited as his brother.

The 4 game redshirt and transfer portal has changed the way freshmen QBs are gonna be played in the future...imho.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Well, it may be that Mac doesn't have the same potential that Lia has. If Lia had 3 or 4 more inches in height he may have been as heavily recruited as his brother.

The 4 game redshirt and transfer portal has changed the way freshmen QBs are gonna be played in the future...imho.
Keep in mind that what I am saying is that whoever is playing after Tua needs to be running the full offense with the starters on the field. What is happening now makes no sense, no matter who is #2.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Keep in mind that what I am saying is that whoever is playing after Tua needs to be running the full offense with the starters on the field. What is happening now makes no sense, no matter who is #2.
B1G, must make sense to the 'Bama majordomo, whose rings we kiss and in whom we have infallible trust. Might even be better for Taulia not to have the starters in there with him to give future opponents filmroom fits with his wiles and unpredictability. Mac, not so much - at least not if you're rewinding that powder keg of lead blocking on the fake FG vs. Clemps.

cubzwin

Suspended
Jan 30, 2018
Makes sense if Lia has more upside than Jones which he does. Tua is going pro next year. Saban doesn't have to play Lia to keep Tua playing his best. Saban and Tua are both about winning not politics.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Simple - dude threw an interception. Lia will be your starting QB next year.
As I said in the game thread, Saban has never pulled a QB for an interception. He might pull another player for one play to talk to him about a mistake, but a QBs ego and confidence is just too fragile for that...

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
As with every other position, you're always one hit away from having your number called. You look at USC, they're on QB3 right now (heck of a job by Helton for holding it in the road). At least 80% of the posters here have either complained about or expressed concern about our offensive line's pass pro problems. Add that to the fact that kids can (and have) bailed in the middle of the season to other schools. You can't get caught off-guard.

And to add to that, the defense isn't the only place where we need to get freshmen all the reps as possible. With next season's schedule, you want to be breaking in as few players as possible. And it's very possible that Lia will win the spot over Mac in the spring. You don't want his first live bullets to be against USC.

So this has more to do with coaching and looking ahead than it does with QB play.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
As I said in the game thread, Saban has never pulled a QB for an interception. He might pull another player for one play to talk to him about a mistake, but a QBs ego and confidence is just too fragile for that...
My thought at the time was that the play calling in that series placed MJ in a position of being behind the chains on third down resulting in him attempting to force the throw. It is impossible to know inside the interaction that took place and what he was asked to do on that series. I did feel that the play calling was not conducive to him developing more game experience. As always we are not inside practice and cannot know how the QB's are preforming behind Tua in any definable way.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I'm wondering how some fans will handle the Paul Tyson situation. Seems unlikely that he has much of a shot at the job.
At this point no one knows for sure, but I would not be surprised to see Tyson transfer prior to next fall camp. Still not sure if Bryce Young stays with his commitment, it is going to be an interesting and hot topic.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Still not sure if Bryce Young stays with his commitment, it is going to be an interesting and hot topic.
You are either the worst pessimist on the planet or you have decided not to read anything that he has said since he flipped to Alabama.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I'm wondering how some fans will handle the Paul Tyson situation. Seems unlikely that he has much of a shot at the job.
My understanding is that PT didn't come out of his HS program as "college ready" because he was coached by a "Gus-bus wanna-be" at Trussville.

I don't know about his athleticism, but he's arguably got the best "measurables" of anybody at the position. But I'm afraid he's no where close to being as good of a QB as the 3 in front of him (and probably not B. Young that he'll have to complete with next spring).

I've said from day one it would be the coolest thing ever if he ever became the starter at Bama because of his kinship to CPB. It would be the best "feel good" story of college football if it happened. But, at this point. I doubt he ever plays a meaningful snap for Bama.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.