I have a QB question

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
After watching Saturdays game I have wondered what the rational was to pull Mack Jones and insert Lia. Have I missed something?

I know Mack threw an Int., but in the past we didn't pull folks after a mistake.
Is it possible Lia has closed the gap some on Jones, and or maybe Lia might not be Red Shirted?

Either way we have a long season still ahead of us and Lia has burned two games of four, toward a Red Shirt.
Kind of makes me think that Lia wants to play and not be Red Shirted.

I did notice Mack was running very Vanilla plays.
IT GOT BORING.

When Lia was inserted we were able to move down the field.
Do you thing that was a message to Mack?

Anybody have other ideas, or disagreements.
(Seems to me I was wrong about something a long time ago)

Yeah I know this is pretty useless speculation. Sorry.

Last edited:

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
It’s hard to say, but I don’t know if it was anything about pulling/punishing Mack as much as it was letting everybody get a little PT. Mack looks solid/serviceable, but he doesn’t strike me as a game changer. Taulia may or may not be a better option as a backup and possible starter next year, but unless he gets at least some game experience, you never really know.
His one pass was nothing spectacular really, but I thought he was going to bolt and run and he kinda made a heads up play.

RTR2u

Hall of Fame
Nov 30, 2013
Georgia
I think he was just giving Lia the opportunity to play. This was done in the first game, was it not? And Mac hadn't thrown an INT in that game. Coach has always been like (at least to me) "play the next play and forget about what happened."

But what do I know?

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
I just read a headline (could not read article, not a member of that site) that Bryce Young made a verbal commitment to Alabama ! :)

I think Lia will redshirt.. he has played in 2 games so far and the only other game I can see him playing in for sure is Western Carolina. He may get to play some vs Arky or TN though. I really want to see Paul Tyson play some. Especially a home game.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I have to believe that he is trying to keep Tua's/Lia's family happy because nothing else makes sense. Mac is ahead of Lia and he needs reps running the full offense with the 1st team out there. On the INT, he has all second teamers on the field with him. Then Lia comes in and you just run the ball except on 3rd and long.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
I have to believe that he is trying to keep Tua's/Lia's family happy because nothing else makes sense. Mac is ahead of Lia and he needs reps running the full offense with the 1st team out there. On the INT, he has all second teamers on the field with him. Then Lia comes in and you just run the ball except on 3rd and long.
Maybe, but Saban may just be seeing which one he wants to beat UGA with. 😜

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA

Do you know if Bryce Young will enroll early at BAMA? If so, I can see him starting over Mac Jones eventually, if not the first game or so. I wonder if Mac and Lia will both stay if that's the case.

I assume Tua leaves but if he stays, the QB room will be interesting.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Do you know if Bryce Young will enroll early at BAMA? If so, I can see him starting over Mac Jones eventually, if not the first game or so. I wonder if Mac and Lia will both stay if that's the case.

I just do not see that happening, but 247 lists him as an EE.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Do not know if this is this the reason or not, but if it is, think it is a bad precedent.

Last edited:

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
I think he's simply doing it for experience... at one point last season both tua and jalen were dealing with injuries... probably just wants a third guy to actually be able to get some game reps in

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I think he's simply doing it for experience... at one point last season both tua and jalen were dealing with injuries... probably just wants a third guy to actually be able to get some game reps in
Then he should have let Lia run the whole offense, IMO.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
We should have all QBs ready to go at any time. Look at USC as a prime example why. Iowa and Iowa State a few years ago as well. All 3 were down to their third or fourth option.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA

It was the LSU game when Mac had to come in for a few plays because Jalen had the ankle surgery and Tua got hit hard and was already running on a hurt knee. That made me so nervous that game!

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
This is just my theory so take it FWIW,

1. Saban isn't a huge fan of running up the score

2. Lia isn't as far behind Mac as we may think

3. Saban wants Lia to get used to basic aspects like making sure the team is set etc. and get any first game jitters out in case Tua goes down. But he is worried letting Lia play will run up the score(see 1).

Idk its the only think that makes any sense to me.

Last edited:

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Lia will redshirt barring injury to Tua.

Getting him reps in blowouts.

Mac needs reps. But he also needs to be healthy. That’s more important than reps.

3rd QBs won’t play in SEC games. Even in blowouts.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Mac needs reps. But he also needs to be healthy. That’s more important than reps.
Sorry, no. Mac is not ready for LSU or Auburn - probably not aTm. He needs reps.

Tua does not pull off the win in the 2017 CFPCG if not for the many, many meaningful reps he got in blowout games that season.

78Alum

All-American
Aug 1, 2007
Alabaster, AL

The article I read said Bryce Young will graduate in December and enroll in January and participate in spring ball. I really think Coach Saban was just getting Lia some work. He still has 2 more games he can sub in without burning a RS. He isn't likely to sub in any SEC games.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Sorry, no. Mac is not ready for LSU or Auburn - probably not aTm. He needs reps.

Tua does not pull off the win in the 2017 CFPCG if not for the many, many meaningful reps he got in blowout games that season.
Maybe maybe not but Tua was absolutely tearing it up in practice so much so that the coaches were begging to let him off the leash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.