What do you think will happen with Pruitt?

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I don't hold JP going to UT against him. He's Crimson thru and thru, but when you are in the coaching profession and you've been a successful coordinator, the next step is a HC position.

We'd all do the same thing...even if it meant going to UT. Shoot, for HC money, I'd wear that Orange (with my Bama underoos on under it).

If/when he's done there he's probably not moving to another HC position, at least initially (unless it's Popcorn St somewhere in the middle of nowhere). Coming back to Bama in some position would be a strong possibility IMO!

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
I think he needs to come back to Bama as an analyst and when Pete Golding gets offered a head job which he will, probably not this season but within 3 years Pruitt should step back in for a few more seasons as DC. he's still young, but it's going to take some time to erase the stench of this UT experience. Then he will be ready to try again, but he needs to choose more wisely next time.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
This^^^. Any of you who are at or near 70 know the reality is that you cannot do what you think you can do.. While most of it is physical limitations, the mental capability to focus and be energized constantly is nearly an impossible task. Of course this varies from individual to individual, but Fulmer, physically and mentally is nowhere near CNS even though Saban is roughly 15 months younger than Fulmer. Ten years out of the game (especially with the changes in offense) would also be an obstacle Fulmer could not adjust to. There is a reason most successful college HCs are in the 45-65 age range, they have the experience and physical stamina and mental acumen to stay in the game. There will always be exceptions, but IMO Fulmer is not one of them.
Speaking from experience, no truer words were ever spoken. I would say however that my thoughts aren't driven so much by testosterone as they were in earlier years.

hollisx4

1st Team
Aug 29, 2005
Columbiana, AL.
IMO Kiffin would take the job in a hot second if offered.

Think about it, FAU or a historically successful program from the country's premiere CF conference?

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
This underscores what a horrible career move this was. Pruitt was a player here during the 90s. There's no way he's ignorant of what Fulmer et al. did in an attempt to bring Alabama down. Yet not only did Pruitt choose to work for our chief rival, but he also chose to work for Fulmer of all people. That is damn near unforgivable. We're all in a good mood these days because of how the past 12 years have gone. Pruitt is lucky for that, because most of us would welcome him back with open arms today. There was a time when that would not have happened.
Best post in the thread, in my opinion.

Anybody that would consider working under that scumbag Fulmer is a fool. He knew what a backstabbing snake Fulmer is, and what a complete mess Fulmer's made of that once proud program when he took the job.

Pruett taking that job reminded me of Brother Oliver going to coach at auburn. :eek:

TIDEnGA

All-American
Sep 25, 2007
Opelika, AL
I agree, and have no idea which way it play out, but it might not be as simple as everyone wanting to welcome him back with open arms.
Hmmmmm, Coach Saban makes things pretty simple. As we all know he gets a horrible rap by so many people, but he holds grudges a lot shorter than I do.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Best post in the thread, in my opinion.

Anybody that would consider working under that scumbag Fulmer is a fool. He knew what a backstabbing snake Fulmer is, and what a complete mess Fulmer's made of that once proud program when he took the job.

Pruett taking that job reminded me of Brother Oliver going to coach at auburn. :eek:
Well, maybe he didn't burn his crimson blazer, a la Brother...

BayouBama75

All-SEC
Dec 7, 2001
Knoxville, TN
I think Fulmer is very egotistical. He is only 12 wins behind Neyland for the all time Tennessee wins record and would love nothing more than to pass him. Of course with the teams they have had lately it may take him 5 years to do it. He was bitter when he was fired and I never understand why the put him in as AD.

volhater80

Scout Team
Aug 15, 2018
He's not going anywhere. It's about 15 million for him and his assistants plus still paying Butch and another big roll to bring in someone else and his guys. They were over 6 million in the red last year. They ain't got the money and the product they're selling now will bring in even less. I hate that for them

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
This^^^. Any of you who are at or near 70 know the reality is that you cannot do what you think you can do.. While most of it is physical limitations, the mental capability to focus and be energized constantly is nearly an impossible task. Of course this varies from individual to individual, but Fulmer, physically and mentally is nowhere near CNS even though Saban is roughly 15 months younger than Fulmer. Ten years out of the game (especially with the changes in offense) would also be an obstacle Fulmer could not adjust to. There is a reason most successful college HCs are in the 45-65 age range, they have the experience and physical stamina and mental acumen to stay in the game. There will always be exceptions, but IMO Fulmer is not one of them.
BTDT
The minds willing but the body is no longer up to it.
I always thought any man who can do at 70 what he could at 30...
Wasn't doing very much at 30.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Pruitt will be in great demand as a DC should he be fired at UT, IMO, he was Saban's best DC. No way he comes to Alabama in a lesser role except to work out his UT contract.

Full disclosure: I thought he would do well at UT. Great Xs and Os, football wise, great secondary and LB evaluator, great recruiter, his players loved him, driven, etc. Just different skillset for HC vs DC or player.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Pruitt will be in great demand as a DC should he be fired at UT, IMO, he was Saban's best DC. No way he comes to Alabama in a lesser role except to work out his UT contract.

Full disclosure: I thought he would do well at UT. Great Xs and Os, football wise, great secondary and LB evaluator, great recruiter, his players loved him, driven, etc. Just different skillset for HC vs DC or player.
He would have been much better served to have begun his HC career some place like Troy or Middle Tennessee, where he would have a legit shot at getting players that were at or near the top of his conference. He never had a chance to recruit to that level at Tennessee, and the roster that was in place was in the bottom half of the conference.

I still think he has potential to be a good HC. But Tennessee was one of the worst places he could have started at.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Well, maybe he didn't burn his crimson blazer, a la Brother...
I'm not inclined to hold this move against Pruitt. For starters, he actually seemed to do his job on the way out, unlike Locksley and Smart who seemed focused on other things.

I just saw it as, here's a guy who had been DC at FSU, Georgia, and Alabama. He'd been successful at all those stops and here's his chance to be a head coach at a major university. I don't see how to hold that against him. I don't like Auburn but if they offered me a job making a million dollars a year, I'd take their money...

Edit: For people that are critical of Pruitt taking the job, he's making almost 4 million a year! That's over 3 times as much as he was making at Alabama, and if UT fires him he'll get another nice payday. Either way, he'll end up with at least 10 million of UT's dollars...

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.