Houston QB D’Eriq King and WR Keith Corbin will sit out 2019 and return to UH in 2020

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If the players stay, this really could help Houston. If they leave, Houston takes two steps backward.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
They are 1-3 and apparently Holgerson does not believe they can turn the season around. So, sit your two best players, try to stock up on recruits, and hope you can get your system fully ingrained by next season.

I get the logic behind it, but I hate it nonetheless. I hate conceding defeat. That's essentially what they are doing for the season.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
They are 1-3 and apparently Holgerson does not believe they can turn the season around. So, sit your two best players, try to stock up on recruits, and hope you can get your system fully ingrained by next season.

I get the logic behind it, but I hate it nonetheless. I hate conceding defeat. That's essentially what they are doing for the season.
If true, it means Holgerson's a loser, plain and simple.

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012
What is the benefit of tanking for Houston? Pro teams at least get high draft picks. You don't get better recruits by tanking.
Dana believes that UH will be a better team next year and he was actually supportive in those two guys sitting out the season.

It’s a dangerous game to play in College Football though.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I hadn't been paying attention to this because I assumed he was hurt or something (my sister goes there I should know this lol) but now that I've actually read it I'm shocked.

I don't even understand why someone would do this. I normally defend players but my god. And the coaches have to be behind it or supportive. Wild

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Just as I advocate in pro sports when pro teams "tank". The fans shouldn't show up or watch another game the rest of the season.
There are times when I have wanted my pro teams to tank. In the NFL, having the #1 pick in the right season can really turn around a franchise. Football truly is a "championship or bust" sport.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
There are times when I have wanted my pro teams to tank. In the NFL, having the #1 pick in the right season can really turn around a franchise. Football truly is a "championship or bust" sport.
As long you don't mind continuing to pay premium prices or take out 3 1/2 hours of your day to watch a team purposely lose then I guess it doesn't matter. I'm just not willing to do that.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
As long you don't mind continuing to pay premium prices or take out 3 1/2 hours of your day to watch a team purposely lose then I guess it doesn't matter. I'm just not willing to do that.
i guess my feeling is i rather suffer through one or 2 really bad years than 20+ years of, at best, mediocrity.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
i guess my feeling is i rather suffer through one or 2 really bad years than 20+ years of, at best, mediocrity.
Look at the Giants as a great example of a franchise that tried to hold together a team with duct tape and chewing gum for the last 7 years. Ownership wasn't willing to blow it up and start over because they didn't want to make the fans upset, nor did they want to concede defeat. In the end, it ended up in the dumpster anyway, but only after everyone suffered through years of mediocrity.

Thankfully, for their fans, things finally got bad enough that the Giants couldn't win, and that forced them to rebuild. In another few years, they will have a formidable team. But the fans are going to have to suffer through another year or two of losses to get there.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Dana believes that UH will be a better team next year and he was actually supportive in those two guys sitting out the season.

It’s a dangerous game to play in College Football though.
If he truly is tanking, it's a myopic and idiotic move. You can bet every team he is battling in recruiting will use this against him.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
I'm not saying it's not in the team's best interest to do that. But as a fan, I'm not footing the bill for it or eating up 3 1/2 hr's of my weekend for an entire season. I'll go do something else with my time and money.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I'm not saying it's not in the team's best interest to do that. But as a fan, I'm not footing the bill for it or eating up 3 1/2 hr's of my weekend for an entire season. I'll go do something else with my time and money.
This is a very un-Sabanesque thing to do. Coach Saban wants to win every game and arranges everything he has under his control to put Bama players into a chance to win.

I do not agree with Finebaum on much, but I think he is correct when he says that the odds of these two being at UH next year are exceedingly small.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
This is a very un-Sabanesque thing to do. Coach Saban wants to win every game and arranges everything he has under his control to put Bama players into a chance to win.

I do not agree with Finebaum on much, but I think he is correct when he says that the odds of these two being at UH next year are exceedingly small.
I just see more downside than upside to doing this on the college level. I really don't like it on the professional level. But oh well, that's the current trend. As someone mentioned, UH will get torn up on the recruiting trail with this. You can guarantee an opposing recruiter will ask a recruit "What happens if you get there and the coach decides to tank the season and you're stuck there having to play through something like that?" This can be negatively framed in so many ways to hurt UH in recruiting.

Toddrn

All-American
Nov 29, 2006
Woodstock, Ga
If I am a UH season ticket holder I would be asking for a refund. If they refuse each ticket holder should sue them in small claims court. What a headache that would be for the university.

denver

All-American
Nov 11, 2017
Not a fan of the red shirt and transfer rules as they sit right now. Being manipulated by players and coaches. Would love to see NCAA fix the rules this off season.

VernonTider

Scout Team
Nov 9, 2019
Lincoln Riley and Oeaux will be all over this. Riley never met a transfer portal QB he didn't love. And wouldn't know a defense from a picket fence.

Would be hilarious of King ends up somewhere BESIDES those two places. I even saw someone mention Arkansas, because of the tie between King and Kendal Briles.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.