Buying a new gun
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BamaNation All-SEC

Buying a new gun

Not sure if threads about buying guns is allowed. If not delete away. Did a search and didnt see a thread.

Was thinking of getting a Smith and Wesson m&p 2.0 4.25 barrel length. Just like the feel of the trigger action and the weight of the gun. Anybody have one already? Have a 357 glock. Like Glocks but the trigger action is a little clunky not as smooth as the M&P.

Re: Buying a new gun

Not much experience an M&P, but it's not hard to beat that Glock trigger, lol. I do know lots of friends (including some LEO) love the M&P.

I've become quite partial to Sigs - the operate with the fit of a custom Kimber but have the reliability of a Glock.
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

I like my Kahr CM-9...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

BamaNation All-American tidefanbeezer's Avatar

I have the first generation M&P in 9mm. Great gun, but the trigger wasn't great. Swapped it out for the Apex carry trigger and it was MUCH better. If they've addressed the trigger issues, you are good to go.

At the end of the day, I don't think you can go wrong with a Glock or an M&P. Both are good, reliable guns.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Go Bama's Avatar

This is off topic, but I hate to start a new thread for a simple question.

Have any any of you read Practics: Handgun Defense System? I’ve the teaser on Amazon and it just sounds interesting but unconventional.

Here’s the link:

https://www.amazon.com/Practics-Hand...s=books&sr=1-1

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by tidefanbeezer View Post
    I have the first generation M&P in 9mm. Great gun, but the trigger wasn't great. Swapped it out for the Apex carry trigger and it was MUCH better. If they've addressed the trigger issues, you are good to go.

At the end of the day, I don't think you can go wrong with a Glock or an M&P. Both are good, reliable guns.
    Ok good deal. Dont want to spend 500-600 on something that isn't reliable.

I like sigs, they are a smoother shooting gun than a glock. Never shot a kahr cm-9.

FB|BB Moderator

I have two Glocks -- full-size and baby 40-cals. I'm actually more accurate with the compact.

One thing is true: you have to shoot with a firm wrist. If your wrist is flopping around, there's not enough resistance in the body of the pistol for the action to cycle properly, the spent casing doesn't eject, and you get a jam.

But shoot with a firm wrist, and that thing will fire reliably even if you just pulled it out of a bucket of mud.
    You can't reason a man out of a position he didn't reason himself into.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Q Basket Case View Post
    I have two Glocks -- full-size and baby 40-cals. I'm actually more accurate with the compact.
    Funny, I have a G22 and G27 and I'm more accurate with the G27 as well...
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

Quote Originally Posted by 4Q Basket Case View Post

One thing is true: you have to shoot with a firm wrist. If your wrist is flopping around, there's not enough resistance in the body of the pistol for the action to cycle properly, the spent casing doesn't eject, and you get a jam.

But shoot with a firm wrist, and that thing will fire reliably even if you just pulled it out of a bucket of mud.
    Pretty much true of all the autos. They all require a firm wrist...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

BamaNation All-American tidefanbeezer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    Funny, I have a G22 and G27 and I'm more accurate with the G27 as well...
    Same here - except substitute G27 with M&P Shield 9mm. Much more accurate with the compacts and sub-compacts.

Buying a new gun

I guess Im in the minority. I have a Glock 27 and an M&P Shield 40. I bought the M&P because the single-stack magazine is slimmer and more comfortable to carry, but it feels substantially cheaper than the Glock and the trigger pull isnt as smooth. Im also more accurate with the Glock. The M&P was significantly less expensive, though (about $250 vs $500).

As far as reliability, neither has ever jammed on me and Ive probably sent over 2000 rounds through the Glock and 1000+ through the M&P. Both are still on their original magazines. I much prefer the Glock magazines. Theyre easier to load by an order of magnitude and I never cut myself on them. The M&P magazines have some sharp metal edges and its a lot harder to get the last cartridge or two in them.

Either is a good choice. M&P wins on price and carry comfort. Glock wins on everything else. If I could only have one, it would be the Glock despite its relative bulkiness.
    Last edited by BamaSC; September 28th, 2019 at 12:43 AM.

BamaNation All-American gtowntide's Avatar

I have a Glock 40 cal and its the best gun Ive owned. Its the middle sized one. Some shooting ranges will let you shoot a gun before you buy so that might be an option for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by gtowntide View Post
    I have a Glock 40 cal and it’s the best gun I’ve owned. It’s the middle sized one. Some shooting ranges will let you shoot a gun before you buy so that might be an option for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This! It's true here. You can shoot before buying...