Buying a new gun

TUSCALOOSAHONOR

All-SEC
Oct 3, 2014
Slocomb, Al
www.facebook.com
Not sure if threads about buying guns is allowed. If not delete away. Did a search and didnt see a thread.

Was thinking of getting a Smith and Wesson m&p 2.0 4.25 barrel length. Just like the feel of the trigger action and the weight of the gun. Anybody have one already? Have a 357 glock. Like Glocks but the trigger action is a little clunky not as smooth as the M&P.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Not much experience an M&P, but it's not hard to beat that Glock trigger, lol. I do know lots of friends (including some LEO) love the M&P.

I've become quite partial to Sigs - the operate with the fit of a custom Kimber but have the reliability of a Glock.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I have the first generation M&P in 9mm. Great gun, but the trigger wasn't great. Swapped it out for the Apex carry trigger and it was MUCH better. If they've addressed the trigger issues, you are good to go.

At the end of the day, I don't think you can go wrong with a Glock or an M&P. Both are good, reliable guns.

TUSCALOOSAHONOR

All-SEC
Oct 3, 2014
Slocomb, Al
www.facebook.com
I have the first generation M&P in 9mm. Great gun, but the trigger wasn't great. Swapped it out for the Apex carry trigger and it was MUCH better. If they've addressed the trigger issues, you are good to go.

At the end of the day, I don't think you can go wrong with a Glock or an M&P. Both are good, reliable guns.
Ok good deal. Dont want to spend 500-600 on something that isn't reliable.

I like sigs, they are a smoother shooting gun than a glock. Never shot a kahr cm-9.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I have two Glocks -- full-size and baby 40-cals. I'm actually more accurate with the compact.

One thing is true: you have to shoot with a firm wrist. If your wrist is flopping around, there's not enough resistance in the body of the pistol for the action to cycle properly, the spent casing doesn't eject, and you get a jam.

But shoot with a firm wrist, and that thing will fire reliably even if you just pulled it out of a bucket of mud.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I have two Glocks -- full-size and baby 40-cals. I'm actually more accurate with the compact.

One thing is true: you have to shoot with a firm wrist. If your wrist is flopping around, there's not enough resistance in the body of the pistol for the action to cycle properly, the spent casing doesn't eject, and you get a jam.

But shoot with a firm wrist, and that thing will fire reliably even if you just pulled it out of a bucket of mud.
Pretty much true of all the autos. They all require a firm wrist...

BamaSC

All-SEC
Oct 17, 1999
Chapin, SC
I guess I’m in the minority. I have a Glock 27 and an M&P Shield 40. I bought the M&P because the single-stack magazine is slimmer and more comfortable to carry, but it feels substantially cheaper than the Glock and the trigger pull isn’t as smooth. I’m also more accurate with the Glock. The M&P was significantly less expensive, though (about $250 vs $500).

As far as reliability, neither has ever jammed on me and I’ve probably sent over 2000 rounds through the Glock and 1000+ through the M&P. Both are still on their original magazines. I much prefer the Glock magazines. They’re easier to load by an order of magnitude and I never cut myself on them. The M&P magazines have some sharp metal edges and it’s a lot harder to get the last cartridge or two in them.

Either is a good choice. M&P wins on price and carry comfort. Glock wins on everything else. If I could only have one, it would be the Glock despite its relative bulkiness.

Last edited:

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
I have a Glock 40 cal and it’s the best gun I’ve owned. It’s the middle sized one. Some shooting ranges will let you shoot a gun before you buy so that might be an option for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I have a Glock 40 cal and it’s the best gun I’ve owned. It’s the middle sized one. Some shooting ranges will let you shoot a gun before you buy so that might be an option for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This! It's true here. You can shoot before buying...

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Out of the blue one of my good buddies texted me today telling me I had to get hold of a new Sig P365. Now I need to try one.
Sig Sauer P365 was the Guns and Ammo handgun of the year for 2018.

https://www.gunsandammo.com/editorial/2018-handgun-of-the-year/330020

[FONT=&quot]SIG Sauer P365 defies logic. It generally shares the dimensional profile of the smallest 9mm pistols that use either a six-. or seven-.round, single-.stack magazine. The P365 has a width of only 1 inch. With the 10-.round, flush-.fit or extended magazine inserted, the P365’s 4.3-.inch height is comparable to other micro pistols, and the optional 12-.round magazine only adds a half inch![/FONT][FONT=&quot]The trigger is fantastic and consistent from the first shot to the last. The easy-.to-.see SIG X-.Ray3 night sights are among the best on any defensive pistol. The grip feels amazing — even for those with large hands. Racking the slide is easy for almost anyone. It points well. It’s accurate. It’s reliable. Plus, the P365 is already supported by an expansive aftermarket scene. G&A has never evaluated a pistol that’s been as universally enjoyed by any experience-.level shooter as this.

I’m going to see if they have one at the Range in Jackson I can rent. A friend and I are going next Monday night. At $600 retail it looks like a no brainer. [/FONT]

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I was able to rent the Sig P365 at the Range tonight. Great trigger, excellent accuracy (for me, average shooter at best), no malfunctions, and just a really nice looking CCW. I fired 4 magazines. That magazine is a bear to load.

My issue with the gun is the small handle. I have large hands so my pinky dangles. They also had a P365 XL which I did not fire but I did examine the gun. It's a never been fired gun that's on consignment. The XL handle feels perfect in my hand. If it hasn't already sold, another guy was interested, I'll probably go back later this week and take the XL.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.