Politics: The Trump Impeachment Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I am pretty sure impeachment will be a big waste of time. Senate Republicans would kowtow to 45 if he murdered someone in cold blood on Madison Avenue. They have no morals, no soul, no real agenda other than to stay in power and support whatever Republicans want(which is usually what big corporations and hedge fund managers want).

I know that impeachment is part of the Constitutional process, but can someone convince me why it would amount to a hill of beans?

There are no Republicans like Howard Baker or Barry Goldwater this time around. Nobody will stand up to him.
The way it stands now, we have a President unrestrained by any law. We can either accept that and hope for the best the next election (while he's actively trying to rig it with more foreign help.) Or we can impeach him.

The hope is that by going through the impeachment process, the public will be better educated about how criminal this administration is. The Senate will not convict, and the public will pass the final verdict when we vote.

But what the Dems gain with the impeachment is the hope that the public will see and understand how the GOPers Senators are in bed with Trump, and flush the whole bunch.

I don't think the Dems had any alternative that wasn't just raising a white surrender flag.

It's a go for broke strategy, but I tend to be optimistic, and I'm counting on the public not being as dumb as Trump thinks they are.

Last edited:

bobstod

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Magnolia Springs, AL. USA
I have a friend from my first squadron who is a Trump guy. We have been close friends for more than fifty years. He won't talk to me about Trump. He simply ignores any statement I make that invites debate and immediately changes the subject. This week he came over and my wife answered the door. I was busy for a couple of minutes, and while I wasn't there he regaled my wife about how Orange Beach and Gulf Shores were booming. Wonderful economy and it's all because of Trump. NO mention of the fact that billions of dollars from the oil spill had beautified the beach and built up the state park and allowed the millionaires who own the condos to advertise. Wouldn't have happened except for good old Trump. No concern that it may all be under water for our great grandchildren. Or that the Russians are still trying to crash or election system. Or that nothing has been done about infrastructure. Or that poor people can't afford health care....

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
The way it stands now, we have a President unrestrained by any law. We can either accept that and hope for the best the next election (while he's actively trying to rig it with more foreign help.) Or we can impeach him.

The hope is that by going through the impeachment process, the public will be better educated about how criminal this administration is. The Senate will not convict, and the public will pass the final verdict when we vote.

But what the Dems gain with the impeachment is the hope that the public will see and understand how the Senate Dems are in bed with Trump, and flush the whole bunch.

I don't think the Dems had any alternative that wasn't just raising a white surrender flag.

It's a go for broke strategy, but I tend to be optimistic, and I'm counting on the public not being as dumb as Trump thinks they are.
i'd say 2016 proves that maybe Trump is right on this one

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I have a friend from my first squadron who is a Trump guy. We have been close friends for more than fifty years. He won't talk to me about Trump. He simply ignores any statement I make that invites debate and immediately changes the subject. This week he came over and my wife answered the door. I was busy for a couple of minutes, and while I wasn't there he regaled my wife about how Orange Beach and Gulf Shores were booming. Wonderful economy and it's all because of Trump. NO mention of the fact that billions of dollars from the oil spill had beautified the beach and built up the state park and allowed the millionaires who own the condos to advertise. Wouldn't have happened except for good old Trump. No concern that it may all be under water for our great grandchildren. Or that the Russians are still trying to crash or election system. Or that nothing has been done about infrastructure. Or that poor people can't afford health care....
The Gulf is booming, and so is the fecal content of the water.

https://www.al.com/news/2019/09/an-adem-directors-perfect-words.html

i'd say 2016 proves that maybe Trump is right on this one
I'll fall back on a time tested slogan...

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

Last edited:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Oh sure he did.

He also hoped the Dems won't nominate another bad candidate and FORCE him to vote for Trump again.

His next topic was describing all the operations he has in front of him. I reminded him that he is fortunate to have good health insurance, and by the way, I reminded him he voted to strip twenty something million fellow Americans of their ACA insurance. I told him we had been close friends since childhood, and there was no way I could be tricked into voting to strip him of his insurance.

And as he had reminded me he's very devout these days, I explained my Christian faith prevented me from voting to take insurance from the least among us.
it never ceases to amaze me how effective sjw, soyboy, safe space liberals are at playing "why do you keep hitting yourself" with real american patriots and forcing them to act against their own wishes.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
This week he came over and my wife answered the door. I was busy for a couple of minutes, and while I wasn't there he regaled my wife about how Orange Beach and Gulf Shores were booming. Wonderful economy and it's all because of Trump. ..
Perhaps he was regurgitating talking points from TV or radio? It's common, like someone has just understood some principle in physics and is eager to share. :)

I was having lunch with a client a few weeks ago and he commented "well, are the Democrats going to make the economy turn down to beat Trump?" My only comment was he's probably doesn't need any help and that ended that.

The times I've gotten in to discussions with trump people it's been when I've refuted some claim. Then it turns in to whataboutism and both-sidesing, then I explain logical fallacies and they pretty much go catatonic then.

Last edited:

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
ill see if i can find it, but some columnist had a piece on this a few weeks back. he said it is a sure tell that what follows is fabricated bs

eta: here is the article 'Sir' alert: This one word is a telltale sign Trump is being dishonest
Earlier this week I listened to his press conference he kept repeating the following:
- “This person has told me how much they appreciate my work....”
- “The numbers I’ve seen them they’re really good like best ever for the economy....”

I was yelling in my truck “who are these people?” and “what are the future projections?” He was making it all up on the fly. It was obvious to anyone with a brain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Earlier this week I listened to his press conference he kept repeating the following:
- “This person has told me how much they appreciate my work....”
- “The numbers I’ve seen them they’re really good like best ever for the economy....”

I was yelling in my truck “who are these people?” and “what are the future projections?” He was making it all up on the fly. It was obvious to anyone with a brain.
I've moved on from yelling at my radio...Nowadays I'm trying to resist the urge to throw my shoes at my tv. :D

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
My wife can't give up yelling at the TV set... :)
My sweet wife curses like a sailor when Trump and his ilk are on TV. Leningrad Lindsey too. I'm thinking about restricting her TV time but she is really the man of the house so that probably won't be possible.

Last edited:

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
What happens if people refuse to respond to the subpoena? Pompeo just ignores it. Any real enforcement mechanism other than a prolonged court battle?

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
collateral damage

I said this to BamainBoston before the election, why would you touch anything associated with Trump? Has anyone come out better for it?

After being dragged into political scandal by President Trump’s personal attorney, Kurt Volker, the U.S. special envoy to Ukraine, reportedly stepped down from his position on Friday. An official at Arizona State University, where Volker serves as executive director of the McCain Institute for International Leadership, reportedly confirmed Volker’s resignation from the State Department to the State Press, a campus newspaper. CNN also confirmed Volker's resignation separately. Volker is said to have met with Secretary of State Mike Pompeo to deliver the news.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/us-sp...in-trump-ukraine-mess-report?via=twitter_page

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Is Kurt Volker our BamainBoston?
No.

This is him:

https://www.cnn.com/2016/05/07/opin...ing-hillary-clinton-opinion-talley/index.html

Nice guy, too - I met him at the 2012 MSU game on my first trip to BDS. I mean, I think almost everyone that disagreed with him on here still liked him, and he seems pretty decent.

At the same time - IIRC - some other stuff came out when he got exposed as posting here and torpedoed on his judgeship appointment, too (and not just what we knew).

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Is Kurt Volker our BamainBoston?
Just one more note, and I'll drop it:

while he was a nice enough guy (he chases ghosts and writes books btw), he struck me as pretty arrogant in some of his dogmatic assertions that I knew based on my job have no basis in reality. If I have the details right, he went to Hah-vud and Dershowitz was one of his profs. Naturally, they covered the OJ Simpson case on which Dersh consulted. BiB informed us here of his theory that although OJ Simpson was guilty, the cops decided to fudge it along a little bit by adding to the evidence by planting some of his blood from an tube prevented from clotting by the anticoagulant EDTA. (He did not spell this science out - a good thing as it was insanely dumb - but Dersh comments out there that Simpson was guilty but the cops "framed a guilty man" and the insinuation is always that they were actually dumb enough to do this).

This proposal was laughable on its face - as was proven in the civil trial - but the prosecution screwed up in boxing themselves in because they didn't know the first damned thing about science.

Shouldn't I have been able to expect a lawyer aiming to be a judge to be familiar with the fact that a proposed scenario was actually demolished in the follow-on trial? Clinging to that fantasy is the kind of thing that gives me concern for any appointed judge regardless of ideology. Nothing wrong with being wrong - as long as you can admit it and get it right.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
No.

This is him:

https://www.cnn.com/2016/05/07/opin...ing-hillary-clinton-opinion-talley/index.html

Nice guy, too - I met him at the 2012 MSU game on my first trip to BDS. I mean, I think almost everyone that disagreed with him on here still liked him, and he seems pretty decent.

At the same time - IIRC - some other stuff came out when he got exposed as posting here and torpedoed on his judgeship appointment, too (and not just what we knew).
Thanks for that link. During his 15 minutes of fame, I learned he had written some science fiction(?) but there wasn't anything bad about it, as best I remember. I wonder, now, after all we've seen out of Trump, if BinB still feels Republicans owe their loyalty to Trump as he says they do in that article from May, 2016.

Trump's opponents had every right to oppose him until the nomination was secured. But that moment has passed. Now the party must look to the future and to all that is at stake. The GOP race was run, and Trump won it. It is time for all Republicans to unite behind him.
I think it was some of the things he had written here that stopped his nomination, but that's only a guess. I have been surprised we haven't heard from him here since all that went on but then I guess I can understand that too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.