Politics: The Trump Impeachment Thread - Page 2
Page 2 of 88 FirstFirst 1234567891252 ... LastLast
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

BamaNation All-SEC

Re: The Trump Impeachment Thread

I was excited when I read the headline. I thought the Republicans might actually be turning on him. Then I saw the resolution is nonbinding. That means they can pretend to show teeth without actually injuring him.

Quote Originally Posted by uafanataum View Post
    I was excited when I read the headline. I thought the Republicans might actually be turning on him. Then I saw the resolution is nonbinding. That means they can pretend to show teeth without actually injuring him.
    Agree - but the fact they would do this shows, well, something. If nothing else maybe they know how bad this looks and want to distance themselves?

Super Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar

Quite the symbolic gesture and more than I expected.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    Agree - but the fact they would do this shows, well, something. If nothing else maybe they know how bad this looks and want to distance themselves?
    On the looking bad I am not sure. I think with them having the majority in the Senate they may be able to put up roadblocks everywhere from information coming out. They could maybe spin it into " the mean Ole democrats are picking on us white Christians again". The base would eat it like pie.

Quote Originally Posted by uafanataum View Post
    On the looking bad I am not sure. I think with them having the majority in the Senate they may be able to put up roadblocks everywhere from information coming out. They could maybe spin it into " the mean Ole democrats are picking on us white Christians again". The base would eat it like pie.
    Touché. I'm ever the optimist, so that's probably why I thought it potentially good. But it's an admittedly naive thing to consider, with recent history.

I've got no agenda, I just want the truth to come out. And if that truth shows that Trump broke the law, throw his butt in jail. Unfortunately, politics is a messy business - few really want the truth.

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

So the Senate voted unanimously in support of the House requiring the White House to furnish the full, un-redacted, whistleblower report to Congress. While that is encouraging; something smells fishy about this. Why would the Senate Republicans willingly cooperate in this matter? They must know that the report is not as damning as the media and most Democrats believe it to be. McConnell and his cronies are not stupid, they obviously know something the Democrats don't know and so does Trump.
    Last edited by GrayTide; September 25th, 2019 at 07:31 AM.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

BamaNation All-American bamamc1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    So the Senate voted unanimously in support of the House requiring the White House to furnish the full, un-redacted, whistleblower report to Congress. While that is encouraging; sometime smells fishy about this. Why would the Senate Republicans willingly cooperate in this matter? They must know that the report is not as damning as the media and most Democrats believe it to be. McConnell and his cronies are not stupid, they obviously know something the Democrats don't know and so does Trump.
    That should tell you right there. A second hand account? Wasn’t on the call? I suggest to the President, smashing devices with a hammer, bleach bit, a corrupt FBI, those seem to be legal. PS “I told them to fire the SOB.” Biden.

BamaNation Hall of Fame rolltide_21's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson1967 View Post
    I have concerns about moving forward with impeachment.

For one thing, it will probably wind up just being symbolic. The Democrats control the House 235-199 with one Republican turned independent. So they will probably get the 218 votes needed to impeach him.

But to remove him from office, they need 67 votes in the Senate. There are only 47 Democrats in the Senate. So you need at least 20 Republicans to vote him out of office. (I wouldn’t bet my life on Manchin voting guilty, though he doesn’t run again until 2024).

I think it would take a lot to get a huge number of Republicans to go against Trump. Most of them come from states Trump won easily in 2016. There will be 23 Republican seats up in 2020, including two special elections in Arizona and Georgia. Pretty sure they don’t want a primary challenge.

For that matter, is the Senate even required to hold a trial if he is impeached?

I think the whole thing could result in making Trump a martyr and galvanize his base. If the Democrats nominate someone too far left, it could tilt the balance to re-elect him.

And since the whole Ukraine mess involves Joe Biden, it could uncover some dirt they don’t want uncovered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You and I are thinking along the same lines.

BamaNation All-American

I have believed for some time that Trump's base would support him if they watched him execute a nun on live TV.

For one thing, it will probably wind up just being symbolic. The Democrats control the House 235-199 with one Republican turned independent. So they will probably get the 218 votes needed to impeach him.

But to remove him from office, they need 67 votes in the Senate. There are only 47 Democrats in the Senate. So you need at least 20 Republicans to vote him out of office. (I wouldn’t bet my life on Manchin voting guilty, though he doesn’t run again until 2024).

I think it would take a lot to get a huge number of Republicans to go against Trump. Most of them come from states Trump won easily in 2016. There will be 23 Republican seats up in 2020, including two special elections in Arizona and Georgia. Pretty sure they don’t want a primary challenge.

For that matter, is the Senate even required to hold a trial if he is impeached?

I think the whole thing could result in making Trump a martyr and galvanize his base. If the Democrats nominate someone too far left, it could tilt the balance to re-elect him.

And since the whole Ukraine mess involves Joe Biden, it could uncover some dirt they don’t want uncovered.

This has been my fear all along. In the meantime, Warren and Sanders come up with a loser like a "wealth tax"...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

BamaNation All-American gtowntide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bamamc1 View Post
    That should tell you right there. A second hand account? Wasn’t on the call? I suggest to the President, smashing devices with a hammer, bleach bit, a corrupt FBI, those seem to be legal. PS “I told them to fire the SOB.” Biden.
    With all due respect, I really don't understand what you're saying here.

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    So the Senate voted unanimously in support of the House requiring the White House to furnish the full, un-redacted, whistleblower report to Congress. While that is encouraging; sometime smells fishy about this. Why would the Senate Republicans willingly cooperate in this matter? They must know that the report is not as damning as the media and most Democrats believe it to be. McConnell and his cronies are not stupid, they obviously know something the Democrats don't know and so does Trump.
    Hadn't thought about the repubs playing along for this reason - what if the doc is nothing? What if this is all an elaborate setup to cut the dems off at the knees?

If the dems are right, this will effectively end his presidency. But if they're wrong, this will effectively give Trump 2020.