Politics: The Trump Impeachment Thread - Page 5
Page 5 of 49 FirstFirst 12345678910111215 ... LastLast
    Last edited by 92tide; September 25th, 2019 at 09:34 AM.
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

BamaNation All-American TrueCrimson7's Avatar

Re: The Trump Impeachment Thread

Initial thoughts after transcript release:
    1. There is no audio. The transcript is the most complete version of the conversation. It is what it is.
    2. If Trump tied money to info, that would have been the smoking gun. No matter how
    much people want to make the tie, there is no tie there.
    3. Trump told the Ukraine official what he has heard about Biden and what Biden bragged about in interfering in an Ukranian investigation for his son and asked them to look into it.

So it begs the question: Does a challenger to the President get immunity? The President is looking into a potential crime that Biden bragged about. He should look into possible interference if it did occur, no matter who it is...otherwise anyone can commit a foreign crime and then run for President and just claim if the president looks into it it is politcally motivated. It is implication to say this was only for Trump's political gain. Trump is discussing this issue and its implications for the country. He said do "us" a favor because "our country" has been through a lot. He did not say do "us" a favor because "I'm" running against him. He's asking them to work with US officials to look into a crime possibly committed by an American. This will not placate those who hate Trump, but this is not enough so far to remove a President from office.

BamaNation Hall of Fame CharminTide's Avatar

Interesting memo, even if it's not an actual transcript. (Here's a WaPo link to the whole thing)

Cutting through the BS:

Trump: Hi. Congrats on winning your election.

Zelenskyy: Thanks! Allow me to butter you up to a degree that embarrasses me personally.

Trump: That's awful nice of you to say. Hey look, we do a lot for Ukraine. We spend a lot of effort and time on you guys.

Zelenskyy: You are 1000% right. And we really appreciate it. We can't wait to buy more Javelins from the U.S. and are ready to cooperate for the next steps.

Trump: Great! Look, I'd like you to do us a favor.

Zelenskyy: Sure, what is it?

Trump: I've been told Hillary's email server is in Ukraine, and also there was a really suspicious thing with Joe Biden and I was wondering if you could investigate those things.

Zelenskyy: Yes, we will definitely take care of that.

Trump: That's great. I'll have my personal attorney, Rudy Guilliani, and the Attorney General, William Barr, contact you so we can get to the bottom of this.

Zelenskyy: Of course. I will appoint my own prosecutor to look into the specific situation. I hope we can cooperate a lot. Also, I stayed in Trump Tower.

Trump: Fantastic. Bye.

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Go Bama View Post
    If this is a trap set by the GOP, my money says it was orchestrated by Putin. I just donít believe Trump or his cronies are smart enough to dream this up. OTOH, I donít think itís a trap.
    If what was a trap set by the GOP?

Getting Pelosi to begin impeachment proceedings?

Or getting Trump to be stupid?

Or what?

(I'm sorry, I'm just not understanding the context of your post).
    My New Year's resolution for 2019 is this year I'm not going to drink anymore. I'm not going to drink any less, either.

I was married for 25 years, but if I'd killed her on the honeymoon, I'd have been out in less than 20.

Butch Jones has richly earned his title, The Archbishop of Talentbury

After reading all the horrible things drinking will do to you....I gave up reading.

Super Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CharminTide View Post
    Interesting memo, even if it's not an actual transcript. (Here's a WaPo link to the whole thing)

Cutting through the BS:

Trump: Hi. Congrats on winning your election.

Zelenskyy: Thanks! Allow me to butter you up to a degree that embarrasses me personally.

Trump: That's awful nice of you to say. Hey look, we do a lot for Ukraine. We spend a lot of effort and time on you guys.

Zelenskyy: You are 1000% right. And we really appreciate it. We can't wait to buy more Javelins from the U.S. and are ready to cooperate for the next steps.

Trump: Great! Look, I'd like you to do us a favor.

Zelenskyy: Sure, what is it?

Trump: I've been told Hillary's email server is in Ukraine, and also there was a really suspicious thing with Joe Biden and I was wondering if you could investigate those things.

Zelenskyy: Yes, we will definitely take care of that.

Trump: That's great. I'll have my personal attorney, Rudy Guilliani, and the Attorney General, William Barr, contact you so we can get to the bottom of this.

Zelenskyy: Of course. I will appoint my own prosecutor to look into the specific situation. I hope we can cooperate a lot. Also, I stayed in Trump Tower.

Trump: Fantastic. Bye.
    No personal gain for the president there.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

Quote Originally Posted by TrueCrimson7 View Post
    Initial thoughts after transcript release:
    1. There is no audio. The transcript is the most complete version of the conversation. It is what it is.
    2. If Trump tied money to info, that would have been the smoking gun. No matter how
    much people want to make the tie, there is no tie there.
    3. Trump told the Ukraine official what he has heard about Biden and what Biden bragged about in interfering in an Ukranian investigation for his son and asked them to look into it.

So it begs the question: Does a challenger to the President get immunity? The President is looking into a potential crime that Biden bragged about. He should look into possible interference if it did occur, no matter who it is...otherwise anyone can commit a foreign crime and then run for President and just claim if the president looks into it it is politcally motivated. It is implication to say this was only for Trump's political gain. Trump is discussing this issue and its implications for the country. He said do "us" a favor because "our country" has been through a lot. He did not say do "us" a favor because "I'm" running against him. He's asking them to work with US officials to look into a crime possibly committed by an American. This will not placate those who hate Trump, but this is not enough so far to remove a President from office.
    It was never going to be a smoking gun. The whistleblower mentioned multiple conversations, and this one is removed from all context. Congress needs to hear the entire complaint, and the context is what the administration is illegally hiding.

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post

Or what?

there are a lot of folks earlier in the thread worrying that this whole thing is just a set up by the repubs (ala the bush awol stuff with rather) to embarrass and undermine the dems.
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

"Old dog - new tricks"

Quote Originally Posted by CharminTide View Post
    It was never going to be a smoking gun. The whistleblower mentioned multiple conversations, and this one is removed from all context. Congress needs to hear the entire complaint, and the context is what the administration is illegally hiding.
    it's interesting to watch the spin/damage control evolve in the wake of this story. it's very similar to what happened with the mueller report (he was totally exonerated). we are now seeing the "he was exonerated" part being pushed far and wide. albeit with more concern than when it happened with the mueller report.

- George Orwell

ó Thomas Pynchon

BamaNation Hall of Fame jthomas666's Avatar

He explicitly asked a foreign power to investigate a political rival.
    This is the darkest timeline.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Go Bama's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    So the Senate voted unanimously in support of the House requiring the White House to furnish the full, un-redacted, whistleblower report to Congress. While that is encouraging; something smells fishy about this. Why would the Senate Republicans willingly cooperate in this matter? They must know that the report is not as damning as the media and most Democrats believe it to be. McConnell and his cronies are not stupid, they obviously know something the Democrats don't know and so does Trump.
    Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    Hadn't thought about the repubs playing along for this reason - what if the doc is nothing? What if this is all an elaborate setup to cut the dems off at the knees?

If the dems are right, this will effectively end his presidency. But if they're wrong, this will effectively give Trump 2020.
    Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post

Or what?

If it exists, the “trap” is the elaborate setup. It implies that Trump and cronies are giving the Dems something to be suspicious about while Trump knows he has done nothing wrong. The end result is the Dems wind up with egg on their face and Trump proves to the American people it has indeed been a witch hunt all along.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Bama View Post
    If it exists, the “trap” is the elaborate setup. It implies that Trump and cronies are giving the Dems something to be suspicious about while Trump knows he has done nothing wrong. The end result is the Dems wind up with egg on their face and Trump proves to the American people it has indeed been a witch hunt all along.
    That would be a good plan, although it presumes a level of strategery that I don't think exists. We'll find out eventually.

BamaNation All-American TrueCrimson7's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jthomas666 View Post
    He explicitly asked a foreign power to investigate a political rival.
    He explicitly asked a foreign power to look into the actions of an American who happens to be a political rival.

Again...does the President have to ignore potential foreign interference if the person bragging about it happens to be running for President? There's no quid pro quo. Are we tying a President's hands?