Politics: The Trump Impeachment Thread - Page 6
Page 6 of 85 FirstFirst 123456789101112131656 ... LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame CharminTide's Avatar

Re: The Trump Impeachment Thread

Quote Originally Posted by TrueCrimson7 View Post
    He explicitly asked a foreign power to look into the actions of an American who happens to be a political rival.

Again...does the President have to ignore potential foreign interference if the person bragging about it happens to be running for President? There's no quid pro quo. Are we tying a President's hands?
    Pretty weak defense, IMO. Like I said, we need to hear the context of these comments. We already know that this conversation occurred very soon after Trump halted millions in aid from reaching Ukraine, and we really, really need to know more about that.

https://twitter.com/abc/status/1176874772736749569

He explicitly asked a foreign power to look into the actions of an American who happens to be a political rival.

Again...does the President have to ignore potential foreign interference if the person bragging about it happens to be running for President? There's no quid pro quo. Are we tying a President's hands?
    there was no potential foreign interference. that was established a few years back when this same conspiracy theory was being pushed and ultimately got debunked
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

BamaNation All-American TrueCrimson7's Avatar

Respectfully, this is all viewed in the prism of what you want the outcome to be. And there's not much anyone can do to convince the other. This seems like Kavanaugh all over again. Dems could not get 50 senators to oust his nomination. It is doubtful they will get the 2/3 majority to oust Trump so far.

I'm open to more info as it comes out.

Respectfully, this is all viewed in the prism of what you want the outcome to be. And there's not much anyone can do to convince the other. This seems like Kavanaugh all over again. Dems could not get 50 senators to oust his nomination. It is doubtful they will get the 2/3 majority to oust Trump so far.

I'm open to more info as it comes out.
    i am viewing it through the prism of the fact that this conspiracy theory that is the basis of "trump was legitimately looking into potential corruption" is known bs. i know the true believers will be repeating this along with "no quid pro quo" until the cows come home. but, so far, it doesn't seem to be gaining much traction.

and for the record, i am under no illusion that the senate will ever vote to remove him from office.
    Last edited by 92tide; September 25th, 2019 at 11:34 AM.
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by CharminTide View Post
    That would be a good plan, although it presumes a level of strategery that I don't think exists. We'll find out eventually.
    The Democrats have promised free education, debt foregiveness, free health care and a whole lot more. Meanwhile the Republicans have promised to take all that away and still hold the Senate and the white house. I think the Republicans are good at stategy.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Go Bama's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jthomas666 View Post
    He explicitly asked a foreign power to investigate a political rival.
    These two statements say exactly the same thing.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Chukker Veteran's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    i am viewing it through the prism of the fact that this conspiracy theory that is the basis of "trump was legitimately looking into potential corruption" is known bs. i know the true believers will be repeating this along with "no quid pro quo" until the cows come home. but, so far, it doesn't seem to be gaining much traction.

and for the record, i am under no illusion that the senate will ever vote to remove him from office.
    If Trump had established any kind of credibility of being honest I might consider giving him the benefit of the doubt. He's done just the opposite.

That would be a good plan, although it presumes a level of strategery that I don't think exists. We'll find out eventually.
    I think you're selling trump short; while I don't think he's very intelligent, this isn't some brilliant plan - a middle-school-aged kid could have come up with this.

And it's only clever if it works, time will tell if that's the case. Lots of things could come up in an investigation...

Once again, I just floated the idea as it crossed my mind (that this might be a ruse). Though the fact that it's not incredibly clever and that there likely isn't enough there to make the voters favor impeachment makes me wonder...
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

- George Orwell

ó Thomas Pynchon

- George Orwell

ó Thomas Pynchon

just in case anyone would like to compare the admin talking points to what gets posted in this thread

https://twitter.com/abc/status/1176896651727908866

https://twitter.com/Acosta/status/11...n-juice.com%2F

- George Orwell

ó Thomas Pynchon

BamaNation Hall of Fame CharminTide's Avatar

So, given that Trump has just publicly implicated AG Barr in this Ukraine mess, why hasn't Barr recused himself from this investigation? He shouldn't be allowed within 100 feet of that whistleblower memo or any related evidence.

So, given that Trump has just publicly implicated AG Barr in this Ukraine mess, why hasn't Barr recused himself from this investigation?
    Because that would be the proper thing to do?
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius