Politics: The Trump Impeachment Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wakecrash

Suspended
Sep 22, 2018
Chanson
The us gvt already proved bad faith in the russia investigation, even the fisa court has stated such. Trump has reason to question fbi fairness, because they demonstrated unfairness to him. Normally if fbi suspects foreign intrusion into a us political campaign they let them know, e.g. Diane Feinstein. But trump, no they use it as an insurance policy to keep him out, or get him out, and try to get more by not being straight with FISA.

Who are you quoting? Why would trump need to ask anyone to investigate manafort, his investigation was substantial and did not involve the trump campaign. Regardless Manafort was a scum ball, so I don't care about him. So yes, Manifort corruption is an issue.
Bamaro
No corruption, really, his son just happens to get multi-million dollar gigs in companies heavily involved with govt activities in the two countries Biden was a lead contact. Yea, right.. Your best argument would be yea but everybody does it.

81usaf92,
So because Biden runs for political office for the umpteenth time, he should be untouchable. But a big point he didn't use it did he, others interpret it that way, but trump gave them the military aid that did not happen under previous administrations.

Generally,
I do think trump is a bit to blame for this vitriol, his demeanor is why he was the 2nd to last republican I wanted. I was pretty adamant with friends that you can't elect a narcissist that flies around with his name plastered on everything. I had fears he would abuse powers at the sacrifice of my rights. Based on my initial beliefs and fbi actions, makes me think others in power felt the same way, but broke the faith and acted on feeling vs acting based on law and precedent.
But I don't think Trump is a true Narcissist, its is more his showmanship, trolling, and I think his background of born into power, he never had to be diplomatic to work his way up through management.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
. . . .
Bamaro
No corruption, really, his son just happens to get multi-million dollar gigs in companies heavily involved with govt activities in the two countries Biden was a lead contact. Yea, right.. Your best argument would be yea but everybody does it.
. . . .
I'm three times more concerned with the 3 Trump kids

Reactions: MobtownK

Wakecrash

Suspended
Sep 22, 2018
I'm three times more concerned with the 3 Trump kids
What do you mean, generally his kids seem like good people. Heck in my mind early on his kids made me think Trump cant be such a bad guy with kids like this. Hunter Biden on the other hand was a complete mess......

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
81usaf92,
So because Biden runs for political office for the umpteenth time, he should be untouchable. But a big point he didn't use it did he, others interpret it that way, but trump gave them the military aid that did not happen under previous administrations.
So if the Kentucky Democratic Governor finds out that a Republican leaning mayor in the state has dirt on Mitch McConnell taking money from a source that if revealed would seriously damage Mitch's chances for reelection, and said governor uses his constitutional right to impound state funds from that mayors county until that information is distributed... Would you think the bigger issue would be Mitch McConnell taking bribes?

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
The us gvt already proved bad faith in the russia investigation, even the fisa court has stated such. Trump has reason to question fbi fairness, because they demonstrated unfairness to him. Normally if fbi suspects foreign intrusion into a us political campaign they let them know, e.g. Diane Feinstein. But trump, no they use it as an insurance policy to keep him out, or get him out, and try to get more by not being straight with FISA.

Who are you quoting? Why would trump need to ask anyone to investigate manafort, his investigation was substantial and did not involve the trump campaign. Regardless Manafort was a scum ball, so I don't care about him. So yes, Manifort corruption is an issue.
The official report on the FISA warrants didn’t come out until December 9, 2019. You are attempting to say that DJT knew that he would never get a fair investigation by the FBI into the corruption of one single US citizen so it was ok to ask a foreign country to do that investigation.

Further, you are essentially saying that someone who Trump once thought enough of to have as his campaign manager, was being treated fairly by the FBI, or at least we’ll enough that he didn’t ask a foreign country to double check their work.

Look, I don’t care about Manafort nor Biden in the least. However, if both are scumbags, both should be treated consistently by the President and investigated by US authorities. However, it is nof the Presidents purview to direct the DOJ in its investigations, furthermore the president has not been consistent. One remedy was ok enough for his former campaign manager, while the other remedy included requesting investigations by foreign powers into the son of a political rival.

Whether or not you think the FBI cannot be trusted to investigate corruption, it is never acceptable for the president to ask for foreign assistance into an investigation of a US citizen.

Wakecrash

Suspended
Sep 22, 2018
The official report on the FISA warrants didn’t come out until December 9, 2019. You are attempting to say that DJT knew that he would never get a fair investigation by the FBI into the corruption of one single US citizen so it was ok to ask a foreign country to do that investigation.

---- Well since he was the target, he knew what was going on, he complained of some of this stuff long ago, the report just confirms what he was saying.

Further, you are essentially saying that someone who Trump once thought enough of to have as his campaign manager, was being treated fairly by the FBI, or at least we’ll enough that he didn’t ask a foreign country to double check their work.

-- not following this, I think they did go after Manifort extra hard because of his ties to trump and I think trump had some bad people around him like manifort and that other Cori..(forget last name.)

Look, I don’t care about Manafort nor Biden in the least. However, if both are scumbags, both should be treated consistently by the President and investigated by US authorities. However, it is nof the Presidents purview to direct the DOJ in its investigations, furthermore the president has not been consistent. One remedy was ok enough for his former campaign manager, while the other remedy included requesting investigations by foreign powers into the son of a political rival.

-- Biden and Manafort investigative efforts were not remotely close to each other.

Whether or not you think the FBI cannot be trusted to investigate corruption, it is never acceptable for the president to ask for foreign assistance into an investigation of a US citizen.
Answers buried within quotes above.
-- Internal corruption within any foreign government is a president's concern, especially when aid is discussed. Based on Trump's experiences over the past few years such as being falsely accused, fbi doing unprecedented and improper actions to try to nail him, while glossing over potential corruption of his adversaries. There is an argument for him to make sure the corruption was handled on the Ukraine side.
The really bad thing is the FBI did give the president multiple reasons not to trust them.

Last edited:

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
-- Internal corruption within any foreign government is a president's concern, especially when aid is discussed. Based on Trump's experiences over the past few years such as being falsely accused, fbi doing unprecedented and improper actions to try to nail him, while glossing over potential corruption of his adversaries. There is an argument for him to make sure the corruption was handled on the Ukraine side.
1. No one is arguing that foreign corruption is not the president's concern.
2. In fact, Biden's activities in Ukraine were at Obama's behest, and everyone knew about them.
3. The Ukranian AG (?) was not doing much to investigate corruption; in particular, he was refusing to investigate Burisma, the company that Hunter Biden would LATER work for.
4. Biden pressured the Ukraine president to fire the AG and replace him with someone who would investigate corruption.
5. As Biden has noted, the AG was, in fact, fired.

That is an example of the US pressuring another country in support of US foreign interests.

1. Trump and Guiliani created a shadow organization wrt Ukranian activities.
2. Veteran diplomats were forced out of their jobs through a campaign of lies.
now here's where things get interesting.
3. Trump suspends foreign aid to the Ukraine.
4. Has a call with the Ukrainian president, in which he links the restoration of the aid to the Ukranian president ANNOUNCING an investigation into Biden. Not actually investigating--just announcing the investigation.
5. The moment the details of the call were discovered, Trump released the aid. Why would he do that, if he were legitimately pursuing US interests?

This is not action in pursuit of US foreign interests; it is using US aid to coerce an ally into generating bad press for a political opponent.

Last edited:

Wakecrash

Suspended
Sep 22, 2018
So if the Kentucky Democratic Governor finds out that a Republican leaning mayor in the state has dirt on Mitch McConnell taking money from a source that if revealed would seriously damage Mitch's chances for reelection, and said governor uses his constitutional right to impound state funds from that mayors county until that information is distributed... Would you think the bigger issue would be Mitch McConnell taking bribes?
No idea what you are talking about or the history if you are trying to make apples to apples comparison. But that is a short snippet when trying to align with the Trump situation.
If Mitch is taking bribes that should be investigated regardless of history. Has that happened and did the investigators cover up mitches issues while going outside of procedures in an attempt to prosecute the democratic governor over dirt bought and paid for by the republican party? Not sure in your scenario why the mayor would not be subpoenaed, its not like a foreign govt that can't be subpoenaed. But please, don't back me in a corner where I feel like I need to defend Mitch...

Also, Trump didn't actually withhold anything. First prez to send weapons to Ukraine.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Ahh, the meme, I will try to talk like a meme. In response to concern of Trumps kids.
Hunter Biden a wreck. Trump kids have a good head on shoulders.
Spoken like someone that only gets one side of the story from Safe Space News Sources.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
No idea what you are talking about or the history if you are trying to make apples to apples comparison.
Its pretty simple... Do you believe the more concerning issue is an elected official taking bribes or the fact that a person in executive power withholding aid to obtain damaging information to use against a political rival. I know squirrels are distracting but please try to follow along.

If Mitch is taking bribes that should be investigated regardless of history. Has that happened and did the investigators cover up mitches issues while going outside of procedures in an attempt to prosecute the democratic governor over dirt bought and paid for by the republican party? Not sure in your scenario why the mayor would not be subpoenaed, its not like a foreign govt that can't be subpoenaed. But please, don't back me in a corner where I feel like I need to defend Mitch...
Try not to overthink it just because you cant effectively defend the POTUS

Also, Trump didn't actually withhold anything. First prez to send weapons to Ukraine.
Yeah because he got the Ukrainian president to agree to investigate his chief political rival. I guess to you "Why" and "How" arent important.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
He withheld $400 million in aid that had been authorized by Congress (Trump does not deny this point, btw.). The fact that he later released the funds after getting caught does not alter the fact that the funds were withheld in the first place.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
He withheld $400 million in aid that had been authorized by Congress (Trump does not deny this point, btw.). The fact that he later released the funds after getting caught does not alter the fact that the funds were withheld in the first place.
Stop speaking so much sense

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
Now you are talking semantics. He did delay, through the use of political appointments to the OMB.

I will refer you to the Impoundment Control Act of 1974.

Impoundment Control Act of 1974 synopsis at above link said:
The Congressional Budget and Impoundment Control Act of 1974 (ICA) reasserted Congress’ power of the purse. Specifically, Title X of the Act – “Impoundment Control” – established procedures to prevent the President and other government officials from unilaterally substituting their own funding decisions for those of the Congress. The Act also created the House and Senate Budget Committees and the Congressional Budget Office.
There is a legal mechanism specifically established for the President to ask Congress to withhold funding due to his fears of corruption. If he uses any other means to delay funding, that has been appropriated by congress, he is doing so in an illegal manner.

July 3rd to Sept 11th 2019. Everyone likes to be pedantic regarding the fact that the aid was eventually released. However fundamental to the argument is that it was not in the Presidents purview to actually decide whether or not the aid should be released. If he had concerns, he had a mechanism to address those concerns. He did not use that mechanism, and told one of his political appointees to change when congressionally appropriated funding would be delivered to Ukraine.

I must be missing something, but according to the Impoundment Control Act of 1974, the President is not allowed to make funding decisions regarding when, how, or why aid is disbursed unless he goes through the legal process.

Unless you are wanting to debate whether delaying something constitutes as a funding decision, I am not sure how we are still arguing. He did not use the illegal mechanism available to him to investigate corruption, simple as that.

Edit: Darn you @jthomas666 for being faster and more succinct.

• Thank You
Reactions: MobtownK

Wakecrash

Suspended
Sep 22, 2018
Its pretty simple... Do you believe the more concerning issue is an elected official taking bribes or the fact that a person in executive power withholding aid to obtain damaging information to use against a political rival. I know squirrels are distracting but please try to follow along.
Personal attacks, I am so surprised. I saw the squirrel meme too, could you at least be original,, meh,, never mind, asking too much...
But in a complete vacuum of all other information or current events so I am not distracted,,, the bribe is more concerning. Then again, the details you provided regarding executive power very limited, while bribery is a crime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.