Politics: The Trump Impeachment Thread
Page 1 of 72 123456781151 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar

The Trump Impeachment Thread

It is being widely reported that Speaker Pelosi will announce a formal impeachment inquiry today. Someone who has trouble with compliments suggested it, Earle seconded it, so I'm creating it.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/24/polit...egy/index.html

Nancy Pelosi is expected to announce launch of formal impeachment inquiry Tuesday afternoon

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi is expected to announce a formal impeachment inquiry later Tuesday, multiple sources on Capitol Hill tell CNN.Pelosi had earlier said she would make an announcement at 5 p.m. ET.
    Amid dozens of Democratic lawmakers opening the door to impeachment proceedings, Pelosi is consulting Tuesday afternoon with the six House Democratic leaders to discuss their presentation to the caucus later in the day, Democratic sources familiar with the issue say. The speaker has been on the phone with her colleagues over the last several days to take the temperature of the whistleblower complaint as she decides whether to embrace impeachment, Democrats say.
    Apparently, democrats draw the line at the president asking a foreign nation (Ukraine) to interfere with our upcoming election in 2020 for his own personal benefit. Good to know there is a line.

This thread is NOT for the wider politics. The thread is focused on the impeachment process, information, news, events, opinions, and so forth.

Play nicely or go (or be sent) home.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

BamaNation Hall of Fame CharminTide's Avatar

Re: The Trump Impeachment Thread

BamaNation Hall of Fame jthomas666's Avatar

OK, what's the over/under for the number of times Susan Collins makes a show of wrestling with her conscience before voting for acquittal?
    This is the darkest timeline.

Told you so That I thought there was a chance Trump would not be in the running for re-election.

We'll see what happens........

"Old dog - new tricks"

Quote Originally Posted by jthomas666 View Post
    OK, what's the over/under for the number of times Susan Collins makes a show of wrestling with her conscience before voting for acquittal?
    there's already a match scheduled in the town square circle in augusta, me this weekend. here's the pay-per-view preview

The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

BamaNation Hall of Fame Chukker Veteran's Avatar

One aspect that stands out to me:

After all this angst & drama over whether to impeach him over 2016 election rigging with Russia, he's done the same thing again. He seemed determined to slap the country until we run out of cheeks to turn. In other words, it's an imperial Presidency with no restraints or bust for Trump. Nothing in between.

He's left the timid Dems no alternative, let's hope they had time to get their ducks in a row and have effective hearings.

The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

BamaNation Hall of Fame TexasBama's Avatar

Name:  giphy.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  28.0 KB

BamaNation Hall of Fame Chukker Veteran's Avatar

I think it was the deal with Ukraine that prompted the action. I saw a report just now that the whistleblower will testify to the House Committee soon, perhaps this week. Meanwhile, the Senate voted unanimously to give the whistleblower's report to the relevant committees in Congress.

This snowball has finally started rolling downhill.

doing this when the u.n. is in town was a nice touch

- George Orwell

ó Thomas Pynchon

BamaNation All-SEC

I have to wonder if this will make the Republicans more open to a real primary or if they will ride with trump to the bitter end.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar

I have concerns about moving forward with impeachment.

For one thing, it will probably wind up just being symbolic. The Democrats control the House 235-199 with one Republican turned independent. So they will probably get the 218 votes needed to impeach him.

But to remove him from office, they need 67 votes in the Senate. There are only 47 Democrats in the Senate. So you need at least 20 Republicans to vote him out of office. (I wouldnít bet my life on Manchin voting guilty, though he doesnít run again until 2024).

I think it would take a lot to get a huge number of Republicans to go against Trump. Most of them come from states Trump won easily in 2016. There will be 23 Republican seats up in 2020, including two special elections in Arizona and Georgia. Pretty sure they donít want a primary challenge.

For that matter, is the Senate even required to hold a trial if he is impeached?

I think the whole thing could result in making Trump a martyr and galvanize his base. If the Democrats nominate someone too far left, it could tilt the balance to re-elect him.

And since the whole Ukraine mess involves Joe Biden, it could uncover some dirt they donít want uncovered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius