Who do you prefer and why.. Arik Gilbert or Darnell Washington at TE?

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
Are there any updates on these 2 TE's Saban is trying to recruit?

Who do you think would fit best, and why?

I think they have both visited UGA and the CB show both to UGA.. surely they both won't go there? Bama should be able to get one of them. Last I heard, I think Saban is focusing more on Gilbert???

It would be great to get a TE in this upcoming class who can start and is also good at blocking!

RTR!

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Both? You need them both. If you can only land one, Gilbert probably has a higher ceiling, but that is just conjecture.

BirminghamBAMA

1st Team
Dec 29, 2013
I feel like it is an either or scenario....both are elite TEs...Gilbert is more of the WR type TE...while Washington is more play on the line...work the middle TE. I think Bama has a better shot at the moment with Gilbert. He will be in T-town this weekend on a visit.

Last edited:

DawgByte

1st Team
Dec 21, 2017
I think Washington is going to Georgia along with the TE out of Canada. I think Gilbert goes to either Clemson, Bama or Tenn. He's been very quiet that's for sure.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I'm probably wrong but after briefly watching their JR highlights on Hudl I'd much rather have Washington. He looks mean and like he has more functional and fluid athleticism to me.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I'm probably wrong but after briefly watching their JR highlights on Hudl I'd much rather have Washington. He looks mean and like he has more functional and fluid athleticism to me.
He is more ready to contribute right now, that is certain.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I will confess to not having watched either on video, but a dynamic TE probably meets a need much more than a wide-out in this cycle.

But can we just get them both?:wink:

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I feel like it is an either or scenario....both are elite TEs...Gilbert is more of the WR type TE...while Washington is more play on the line...work the middle TE. I think Bama has a better shot at the moment with Gilbert. He will be in T-town this weekend on a visit.
Gilbert is like Irv Smith, athletic and can run. Washington is athletic also but not as much as Gilbert. I think we are pushing harder for Gilbert and telling him he can be the next Irv Smith. I would take either but Gilbert is my preference.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Oh man, idk if it was because I was watching on a small screen (my phone) or because I watched the wrong video but Gilbert looks much more impressive after rewatching him. For some reason on my phone he looked much stiffer than he is. I really think I must have been watching the wrong player or something.

No idea who is better. But I still really enjoyed watching Washington play. He's just got an edge to him that's fun to watch IMO.

Tiderollin32

All-SEC
Mar 12, 2012
They are both freak athletes. They both can catch and block. I’d give the edge for receiving and athleticism to Gilbert and the blocking edge to Washington. Crazy they both look like they could be studs at DE as well!

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
not anymore for "third Saturday in October" now.
Correct. Gilbert will reschedule for another visit later. per his mother he is having a get together with all the seniors on the team before they graduate.
he has been to Alabama 3 times already and was present for the Duke game. I think we are in good shape with him esp. with Young on board

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
I just read Arik Gilbert is taking an OV to LSU this weekend.

Supposedly he silently committed to them?

I wonder if he is just taking his visit or if he is really interested. Saban needs to get him or Darnell Washington fully committed.

BirminghamBAMA

1st Team
Dec 29, 2013
I just read Arik Gilbert is taking an OV to LSU this weekend.

Supposedly he silently committed to them?

I wonder if he is just taking his visit or if he is really interested. Saban needs to get him or Darnell Washington fully committed.
Haven't heard anything of a silent commit to LSU...as of right now Bama is in the driver's seat for his commitment, but he will take his official visits. He will be back for an unofficial visit to Alabama when they play Tennessee. Alabama has slowed down their recruitment of Washington...I expect him to end up at UGA.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.