Wife Had Stroke This Afternoon (it's now over 1/26/'20)

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
Thanks for the update Gray. My wife has metastatic breast cancer and one thing I’ve learned as a care giver is to just be there and to listen. One thing that helps me is to live each day one at a time.
Y’all are in my prayers. You’re doing fine, God bless you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Hang in there, Gray. Everybody knows how tough it is on the patient. It's no easy trick being the caregiver.

So many people think they need to show their concern by being physically there 24/7. They're worried that others might see absence as a lack of concern, so they wear themselves to far beyond a frazzle, and end up being no good to the patient or themselves. If anybody tries to make you feel that way, tell them to go to hell.

Take care of her. But take care of yourself. You're no good to her if you're tired, not thinking straight, distracted, etc. Get sleep and exercise. Take some time to meditate, however you might feel most comfortable doing that -- 15-20 minute naps are wonderful rejuvenators. You'll actually be a better caregiver if you also take care of yourself.

We're thinking of you and rooting for her full recovery.

Last edited:

Toddrn

All-American
Nov 29, 2006
Woodstock, Ga
You will be amazed at all the things you will learn to do. Just remember you don't have to be perfect just willing. Continuing to pray for you both. May God keep you and watch over you both.
She had physical therapy this morning. Moved her to the edge of the bed, sat her up, but had to hold her there due to lack of balance. They moved her into a chair; she sat there for about 30 minutes and then moved her back to her bed. She is still somewhat groggy which the doctor said is normal. Feeding tube in place, not something she likes. Still having issues swallowing, therapist for that started today, she really wants some water, but she is restricted to ice chips and that sponge on a stick. Looks like we might move to a room in the next or two. Two things I have learned in this, the power of prayer and I ain't worth a damn as a caregiver. Thanks again to all of you, it really keeps my spirits up.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
This time of the night/early morning in the hospital is nice and quiet but kind of weird.
That's one thing my daughter noticed about hospitalization in Germany. In late afternoon, after dinner, everything goes quiet and they let you sleep. You are still monitored but there's no BP every 15-30 minutes, no all night blood-drawing, etc. It's just a difference in philosophy. They think rest is more important. When I was stuck in eight days, after my gut went to sleep following colon surgery, I thought they'd drive me crazy. I was just getting a very fitful few hours of sleep a night...

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Hey Gray. So very sorry. I just don’t venture into NS anymore so I never saw this. I hate that she had to endure such a horrible experience. I’m also sorry you had to face this scary situation. Please know you are both in our prayers.

It’s comforting to see such support from this Crimson family. You all continue to amaze me with your kindness.

Excited to see the progress she’s experienced. She seems to be strong in spirit. May her path continue to be nothing but smooth

God bless you both.

Last edited:

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Hey Gray. So very sorry. I just don’t venture into NS anymore so I never saw this. I hate that she had to endure such a horrible experience. I’m also sorry you had to face this scary situation. Please know you are both in our prayers.

It’s comforting to see such support from this Crimson family. You all continue to amaze me with your kindness.

Excited to see the progress she’s experienced. She seems to be strong in spirit. May her path continue to be nothing but smooth

God bless you both.
Thanks, Cajun every reply on Tidefans is appreciated. It is scary, but she has been a runner for years, eats salads almost daily, and they had her in the ER within 15 minutes of the episode. I realize none of this is a guarantee of her outcome, but hopefully it will pay some dividends. This is my support group!!!

Went down to the cafeteria earlier this morning, I have on my Alabama shirt. As I was getting off the elevator, a guy about my age passed by and the next thing I heard was Roll Tide. to which I responded Roll Tide. Then a younger nurse nearby by says out loud, "I just love it" And no Cajun, she was not hawt. :cool:

Last edited:

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Thanks, Cajun every reply on Tidefans is appreciated. It is scary, but she has been a runner for years, eats salads almost daily, and they had her in the ER within 15 minutes of the episode. I realize none of this is a guarantee of her outcome, but hopefully it will pay some dividends. This is my support group!!!

Went down to the cafeteria earlier this morning, I have on my Alabama shirt. As I was getting off the elevator, a guy about my age passed by and the next thing I heard was Roll Tide. to which I responded Roll Tide. Then a younger nurse nearby by says out loud, "I just love it" And no Cajun, she was not hawt. :cool:
So, you are saying she was "Tennessee Hawt" ;)

Please tell her that she has fans in South Louisiana -- who are pulling for her....

I commit to no more Eeyore jokes until she's home, safe, sound, and watching football with her man!!

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
So, you are saying she was "Tennessee Hawt" ;)

Please tell her that she has fans in South Louisiana -- who are pulling for her....

I commit to no more Eeyore jokes until she's home, safe, sound, and watching football with her man!!
Will do, Cajun. I'm sure Bazza will post something about "no pictures".

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I came home today for a shower, fresh clothes, and hopefully some sleep. She is restless due to her nature, but being bed bound is driving her crazy. I will head back tomorrow and settle in for another week in the hospital. At least we have moved from ICU to a private room and have some semblance of privacy. She will start heavy duty rehab next week. I really appreciate everyone's continued thoughts and prayers.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
In these situations:
Step 1 Take care of yourself. You are no use to anyone else if you are not rested and alert.
Step 2 question everyone. Ask questions like "what harm would come to my wife if she went home today?" "What are your plans to insure my wife is able to sleep for the next 8 hours?" Basically tell them to leave her alone. Sleep is the best thing for recovery. Hospitals refuse to let patients sleep. My wife had to deal with stage 4 cancer and one thing we learned, hospitals are not designed to heal the sick. Bed rest AT HOME is the best medicine. Make them come to you to with their follow up tests. When you and your wife are home, she will recover quickly. CLIFF NOTES: take charge of your and your wife's health, don't accept the "experts opinions"

My apologies to those in the health care profession. But my experience has jaded my view of our modern health care system.

Last edited by a moderator:

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I came home today for a shower, fresh clothes, and hopefully some sleep. She is restless due to her nature, but being bed bound is driving her crazy. I will head back tomorrow and settle in for another week in the hospital. At least we have moved from ICU to a private room and have some semblance of privacy. She will start heavy duty rehab next week. I really appreciate everyone's continued thoughts and prayers.
We’re all still with you, Gray, and continuing to pray for Mrs. GrayTide’s recovery. It sounds like you’ve done everything right so far. Thank you for keeping us informed.

Toddrn

All-American
Nov 29, 2006
Woodstock, Ga
Been a RN for almost 25 years, no offense taken. Hospitals are not for rest. You are there to be treated for your illness. You rest when you get home. Too many people today think a hospital is a Holiday Inn Express and you are there to be waited on hand and foot. This is not the case either. We see people at their best and worst. We have good days and bad. You can visit a hospital 99 times and every thing will go perfectly and then the 100th time will be a disaster. Remember we have a license to practice medicine. For Gray Tide I continue to pray for you and your wife and yes it is your job to be her advocate. God Bless. RTR
In these situations:
Step 1 Take care of yourself. You are no use to anyone else if you are not rested and alert.
Step 2 question everyone. Ask questions like "what harm would come to my wife if she went home today?" "What are your plans to insure my wife is able to sleep for the next 8 hours?" Basically tell them to leave her alone. Sleep is the best thing for recovery. Hospitals refuse to let patients sleep. My wife had to deal with stage 4 cancer and one thing we learned, hospitals are not designed to heal the sick. Bed rest AT HOME is the best medicine. Make them come to you to with their follow up tests. When you and your wife are home, she will recover quickly. CLIFF NOTES: take charge of your and your wife's health, don't accept the "experts opinions"

My apologies to those in the health care profession. But my experience has jaded my view of our modern health care system.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Just saw this thread for the first time. Very sorry to hear about your wife’s stroke. Glad she is making some progress.

Stay strong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tide Rev

All-American
Mar 22, 2000
Ocean Springs, MS
Just saw this...Gray, my only brother, had 2 strokes in less than 18 hours a few years back. The 2nd one should have killed him. But by God’s Grace, he is still here. I got to him after the 2nd one. He woke up and told me “it must be serious if you are here.” I stayed with him and his wife and encouraged him while pushing him in rehab. It made a difference. He is back to normal (as normal as he cane since he is an AU fan.��) He slurs his speech when he is tired and gets tired easier than he used to. But I will take that since it could have been much worse. Give your wife all the love and support you can and don’t let her give up or let up in her rehab. Praying for a full recovery and strength to get through.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.