Wife Had Stroke This Afternoon (it's now over 1/26/'20)

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
On a lighter note, I was in the hospital cafeteria eating lunch with my friends (okay I was by myself) when I started noticing that just about everybody was wearing athletic shoes. If I had the athletic shoe concessions for a couple of big hospitals I could make a fortune in less than a year. I was of course wearing my 8 year old Sperry Topsiders.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
On a lighter note, I was in the hospital cafeteria eating lunch with my friends (okay I was by myself) when I started noticing that just about everybody was wearing athletic shoes. If I had the athletic shoe concessions for a couple of big hospitals I could make a fortune in less than a year. I was of course wearing my 8 year old Sperry Topsiders.
They are on their feet a lot...

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
Continuing to pray for you and your wife daily, Gray. Hang in there, buddy.

Regarding the shoes, my wife and her nursing colleagues in Northern Virginia all seemed to wear Dansko shoes. Goofy looking clogs, but they are apparently uber-comfortable. Not sure what is popular here in NE Florida. I need to ask.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Continuing to pray for your and your wife daily, Gray. Hang in there, buddy.

Regarding the shoes, my wife and her nursing colleagues in Northern Virginia all seemed to wear Dansko shoes. Goofy looking clogs, but they are apparently uber-comfortable. Not sure what is popular here in NE Florida. I need to ask.
Danskos, with Merrills a close second...

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Met with the director of the inpatient rehab late yesterday afternoon. We discussed the fact that my wife's stay in the hospital rehab was just about over. I read that to mean the insurance company was tired of paying. So anyway she said that most stroke patients have to spend an additional 30-45 days in a Skilled Nursing Facility (SNF) before being released to go home. So we will be contacting one of these SNFs probably today to start the paperwork to get her moved. The good news it will be about 10 minutes from our home so that will definitely be a plus. More as the story develops, and BTW keep those thoughts and prayers coming.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Continuing to pray for you and your wife daily, Gray. Hang in there, buddy.

i remember seeing a lot of danskos at children's hospital atlanta. my wife (not a nurse) wears danskos a lot and loves them, i know better than to comment on the appearance.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Met with the director of the inpatient rehab late yesterday afternoon. We discussed the fact that my wife's stay in the hospital rehab was just about over. I read that to mean the insurance company was tired of paying. So anyway she said that most stroke patients have to spend an additional 30-45 days in a Skilled Nursing Facility (SNF) before being released to go home. So we will be contacting one of these SNFs probably today to start the paperwork to get her moved. The good news it will be about 10 minutes from our home so that will definitely be a plus. More as the story develops, and BTW keep those thoughts and prayers coming.
glad to hear things are moving along gray. keep your head up

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
i remember seeing a lot of danskos at children's hospital atlanta. my wife (not a nurse) wears danskos a lot and loves them, i know better than to comment on the appearance.
See, you're smarter than me. I made a comment on their appearance one time (I think I said, "Those shoes look stupid.") and was quickly reminded that my wife has sharp elbows.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Well, we have finally moved to step II in her rehab. Transferred her Thursday night to a skilled nursing facility in our town. While it is not exactly the Ritz Carlton, the staff of caregivers are kind, helpful, and the facility is clean and neat. I am encouraged by the youth and energy of her therapists, the ones at the hospital were good but, older and did not exude the enthusiasm, but we will have to wait and see how this works out. I am able to go home and sleep every night and leave and return whenever I need to. Not sure how long we will be in this facility before she is back home.

Toddrn

All-American
Nov 29, 2006
Woodstock, Ga
Glad to hear that we are making progress. A long road ahead but every step gets her closer to a full recovery. Will continue to pray for you both. God Bless.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Well, we have finally moved to step II in her rehab. Transferred her Thursday night to a skilled nursing facility in our town. While it is not exactly the Ritz Carlton, the staff of caregivers are kind, helpful, and the facility is clean and neat. I am encouraged by the youth and energy of her therapists, the ones at the hospital were good but, older and did not exude the enthusiasm, but we will have to wait and see how this works out. I am able to go home and sleep every night and leave and return whenever I need to. Not sure how long we will be in this facility before she is back home.
Still praying for you all, GrayTide.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
She has made some very good progress this week with her rehab. The therapists have introduced electromagnetic pulse therapy which she is responding to very well. I was told by her surgeon, that once she goes to outpatient therapy he was going to recommend introduction of Botox therapy. Never heard of that, but if the insurance company signs off on it I guess we will try it. That is still quite a while off though.

Reactions: Con

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.