Wife Had Stroke This Afternoon (it's now over 1/26/'20)

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
She has made some very good progress this week with her rehab. The therapists have introduced electromagnetic pulse therapy which she is responding to very well. I was told by her surgeon, that once she goes to outpatient therapy he was going to recommend introduction of Botox therapy. Never heard of that, but if the insurance company signs off on it I guess we will try it. That is still quite a while off though.
Good luck. Glad to hear the progress is happening. I had heard that Botox was something they were using on Parkinson’s patients to help with brain connectors. Haven’t kept up on the progress since my Dad passed. But there was something that it would do to help the pathways in the brain. Hope it’s successful.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
Our 18 year old dog recently had a stroke. My wife has been giving her Astragalus which has shown to strengthen artery walls and restore blood flow to the brain. Our dog has recovered nicely. May be something worth looking into.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Our 18 year old dog recently had a stroke. My wife has been giving her Astragalus which has shown to strengthen artery walls and restore blood flow to the brain. Our dog has recovered nicely. May be something worth looking into.
It couldn't be legally given to her in rehab or the hospital...

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
She is working hard in her rehab and is usually worn out by mid afternoon. Her biggest problem right now is her anxiety level. I usually stay with her from 6:30 AM to about 5:30 PM every day. She sleeps on and off. When I leave to go home she will call me when she wakes up and is confused as to where she is and where I have gone. This is the same pattern we experienced when we were in the hospital, but I had a cot in her room so when she woke up I was there to assure her everything was okay. I talked with her primary care physician today and he wants to take her off some of the medication she has been on since her surgery. Hopefully this will help her sleep and reduce her anxiety. Thanks for asking, Bazz.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Thanks for the update, Gray. I'm sorry she is having the anxiety and hope things will improve soon for her.

I'll say it again - you're a good guy to be staying by her side and helping out so much. I realize this is what is supposed to happen when you enter into a marriage - but we all know there are those who run at the first sign of adversity.

Bless you man - and big time prayers sent to your bride.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Gray —

My dad had some anxiety with his dementia. Different from your wife recovering from a stroke, but we found a simple thing that really helped to calm the anxiety.

He’d look up from the TV, and if he couldn’t find my mother immediately, he’d panic. When panicked, anything he’d been told, no matter how many times, would evaporate. That held even though, at that stage, he would otherwise have been able to remember.

We got a small (18 x 24 or so) white board and bright colored dry-erase markers (bright colors were important — they’d stand out and grab attention).

She’d write the day and date, where she was and when she’d be back. Later, when he got where he couldn’t be by himself at all, I stayed with him a couple of times. I’d write something like, “Sunday, November 24. Betty is at church. She’ll be back at noon. Shelby is in the kitchen.”

It really calmed him, and might be worth a try.

God bless you on your caregiving. Be sure to take care of yourself. Take breaks and get out, even if it’s just lunch with buddies. You can’t take care of her if you’re worn to a frazzle yourself.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I rarely check this board and just now saw this thread. Gray, best wishes to you and your wife. It may seem odd since we’ve never met but I’ve considered you a friend for many years. You have more good will directed at you than you are aware of, chin up.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I rarely check this board and just now saw this thread. Gray, best wishes to you and your wife. It may seem odd since we’ve never met but I’ve considered you a friend for many years. You have more good will directed at you than you are aware of, chin up.
Thanks for the kind words, Chukker. This site has been special to me for a long time and I too consider many on here to be friends. No place better.

Toddrn

All-American
Nov 29, 2006
Woodstock, Ga
Just wanted to let you know that we are still praying for you and your wife. Hope y'all have a great Thanksgiving together. You have so much to be thankful for. God Bless.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Things took a turn for the worse Wednesday morning and she has been admitted to the hospital. Two separate scans show no change to the last one on 11/21. She has lost her appetite and they had to put her on an IV. She is still confused and has shown emotions of anger and hatred that I have never seen her exhibit. She has hit me and wanted me out of her room. The doctors still want to experiment with her meds, but I believe it is fear and the realization of the instant change in her life from an active, hard working teacher to a bedridden invalid. This is so hard on her and I feel utterly helpless at this point. I would ask for your continue prayers. Thanks to all.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Things took a turn for the worse Wednesday morning and she has been admitted to the hospital. Two separate scans show no change to the last one on 11/21. She has lost her appetite and they had to put her on an IV. She is still confused and has shown emotions of anger and hatred that I have never seen her exhibit. She has hit me and wanted me out of her room. The doctors still want to experiment with her meds, but I believe it is fear and the realization of the instant change in her life from an active, hard working teacher to a bedridden invalid. This is so hard on her and I feel utterly helpless at this point. I would ask for your continue prayers. Thanks to all.

I will continue to pray for you and your wife, Gray. I can't imagine what y'all are going through. Just know you've got all of our support and prayers.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.