Wife Had Stroke This Afternoon (it's now over 1/26/'20)

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Thanks so much, Tide Rev such an encouraging account. She is being transferred to full blown rehab tomorrow. Her doctor said to expect 10-14 days of intensive rehabilitation. Good news, but still a long way to go.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I was actually somewhat surprised that there was a problem with BCBS and the rehab facility, which is located in the same hospital she is in. My overall experience with BCBS for many years has been good.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I was actually somewhat surprised that there was a problem with BCBS and the rehab facility, which is located in the same hospital she is in. My overall experience with BCBS for many years has been good.
I was frankly a bit surprised also. I started out on Medicare with first United and then Humana. I had problems with both, particularly Humana. One of my doctors said that, since BCBS was the state plan admin for both Alabama and Tennessee, things would flow more smoothly with them. I changed and I've never been tempted to switch back, despite periodic rough spots...

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I have yet to use my Humana but have to get a checkup by end of year per their policy. I was looking at the new patient forms earlier tonight in preparation to fill them out. Lot of mumbo-jumbo.......I still don't like going to the doctor.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I have yet to use my Humana but have to get a checkup by end of year per their policy. I was looking at the new patient forms earlier tonight in preparation to fill them out. Lot of mumbo-jumbo.......I still don't like going to the doctor.
I like Humana and their Go365 program. I had a tendency to max out the points where they weren't giving me points anymore. All that changes next month anyway with the new job. I think I will be switch to Aetna at the new company. I have used Aetna before and didn't much care for it. Most insurances are weird in what they will and will not cover.

Hang in there Gray.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I had to come home for a few days to take care of some personal and financial matters relating to my wife's situation. I am reclined on the sofa now anticipating an uninterrupted day of SEC football hoping my exhaustion doesn't catch up with me until the games are done.

I thinK I mentioned she started full scale rehab Thursday (tires easily as expected) and, had her first shower in over two weeks. Her current diet is restricted to pureed food which she of course hates. Without going into details, have you ever seen pureed sausage patties? If you haven't then picture a pile of runny, somewhat congealed, dog poop!!!! OK, enough of that. I am headed back to the hospital early tomorrow morning. Looking for a convincing win, hope the defense steps up and, no injuries. Roll Tide y'all.

Last edited:

Toddrn

All-American
Nov 29, 2006
Woodstock, Ga
Thanks for the update. Continuing to pray for everyone.
I had to come home for a few days to take care of some personal and financial matters relating to my wife's situation. I am reclined on the sofa now anticipating an uninterrupted day of SEC football hoping my exhaustion doesn't catch up with me until the games are done.

I thinK I mentioned she started full scale rehab Thursday (tires easily as expected) and, had her first shower in over two weeks. Her current diet is restricted to pureed food which she of course hates. Without going into details, have you ever seen pureed sausage patties? If you haven't then picture a pile of runny, somewhat congealed, dog poop!!!! OK, enough of that. I am headed back to the hospital early tomorrow morning. Looking for a convincing win, hope the defense steps up and, no injuries. Roll Tide y'all.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

I am glad her recovering is coming along and that you are taking care of yourself. I hope y'all had a good day and that you got some much needed rest.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Rehab has been hard on her, lots of pain and quite a few restless nights. Hopefully, we head into the final week of inpatient therapy and possibly discharged next Thursday or Friday, but that of course is dependent on their evaluation. I head back home early tomorrow morning, shower, rest, and some football on TV, then back here on Sunday morning. Thanks to all who have offered prayers, concerns, and words of encouragement, it has been great support for me. Roll Tide.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
Years ago when my mom was recovering from a bad fall we found out not all rehab/recovery facilities are the same.
My moms brother had done some union work for many employees that work in those facilities and he was worth his weight in gold when it came to helping us get her well and back on he feet again.

Last edited:

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Took Saturday off and went home, back yesterday. Physical and occupational therapy continue, her problem swallowing has finally been overcome and she is eating really well. Nights are the worst, she has some continuity pain, but the biggest problem is that she is restless and her mind races and it impedes her ability to get a sound sleep. Met with the doctor this morning and expressed my concerns and the doctor is going to look into some medications that will hopefully lower her anxiety. We shall see, no time line yet for discharge.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Took Saturday off and went home, back yesterday. Physical and occupational therapy continue, her problem swallowing has finally been overcome and she is eating really well. Nights are the worst, she has some continuity pain, but the biggest problem is that she is restless and her mind races and it impedes her ability to get a sound sleep. Met with the doctor this morning and expressed my concerns and the doctor is going to look into some medications that will hopefully lower her anxiety. We shall see, no time line yet for discharge.
hopefully the eating will help with everything, and i hope the sleep comes better. it is very hard to sleep in hospitals.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
It’s great to hear about the continued progress, Gray. I’ll be glad when you tell us she’s gotten home.

ETA: You are both still in my prayers. I believe our prayers are being answered.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.