The Man Gripe Thread (MEN ONLY)

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I guess my Christmas spirit is in short supply this year. But the having to bring a gift and play "dirty Santa" or do some form of a gift exchange at every non family Christmas function has run its course with me. My god can we not just get together, eat and have a good time? You hear people complain about it all the time yet for some reason we keep doing it. Isn't that some form of insanity?
i think with few exceptions that adults exchanging gifts is incredibly stupid. this apparently makes me a pariah.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
i think with few exceptions that adults exchanging gifts is incredibly stupid. this apparently makes me a pariah.
My wife and I are right there with you, so you're not alone. We've finally just stopped going to events because of it. Sure, we can not participate and still go. But I get tired of being casually walked up to and asked "Hey man y'all aren't doing dirty santa?".

Most of them turn into a materialistic display of greed anyway if you go to them enough. You start to notice there are not so subtle rules attached to them. We've been to some where obviously someone got their feelings hurt in the past and felt shortchanged. Because there are requirements such as "No gag gifts" or anything "homemade". Basically what's being said is "There will be people who take this way to serious and will buy the nicest $20-$25 gift possible and expect it in return." I don't have the time nor the energy to participate in this type stuff.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I guess my Christmas spirit is in short supply this year. But the having to bring a gift and play "dirty Santa" or do some form of a gift exchange at every non family Christmas function has run its course with me. My god can we not just get together, eat and have a good time? You hear people complain about it all the time yet for some reason we keep doing it. Isn't that some form of insanity?
My office was going to do a White Elephant, but they apparently got some complaints and now we are doing something a little different. Basically, we will play a game with rolling the dice in the conference room. Everyone bring the $15-20 they would have spent and we do this instead. Plus booze, so I am in.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
My office was going to do a White Elephant, but they apparently got some complaints and now we are doing something a little different. Basically, we will play a game with rolling the dice in the conference room. Everyone bring the $15-20 they would have spent and we do this instead. Plus booze, so I am in.
I told our department head last year to consider not doing a gift exchange game during our office party. We've got several accounts payable clerks who are single moms and don't make a lot of money as it is. That a $20-$25 gift might not seem like a lot of money to some. But this time of year is a financial strain on a lot of people, especially a one income family with multiple kids. His response "They don't have to participate." I wanted to say "Well Merry Christmas to you Ebeneezer!".

Last edited:
Reactions: 92tide

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
I tell my relatives that if they just HAVE to spend money on me for Christmas to donate it in my name to St Jude. And I get a openly frustrated if they buy some stupid thing I don't need or want anyway.
I am with you on this. We've implemented this with my kids too. No gifts this year and started a new tradition for the holidays. We're going on a Christmas trip. The collective memories from these will be much more valuable and will last a lot longer than the latest toy/gadget. Their grandmothers asked what they wanted for Christmas, "Well, how about a donation to their college fund?" Ha!

ReturnToGlory

All-American
Nov 22, 2006
Blakely, Georgia
Amen to that. I was not planning on buying any gifts this year, because everyone in my brother's and sister's family is grown and I am single. However, my Mama is going to be very upset if I don't buy them something.

Reactions: 92tide

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
Re: The Man Thread (MEN ONLY)

I'm raising 4 girls. The oldest is 14.

Know my pain. Just numb at this point.

Get on my level.

In my house:
  • 2 daughters, 8 & 13.
  • Neice who is 23 yo Bama grad ... and an aspiring actor.
  • Wife who is smarter than all of us combined & a public company executive.
Sounds like I need to send some of these to your house since you're numb already! :D

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Nothing to do with the holidays, but I just had to deal with this for the umpteenth time in the last few weeks.

Is anybody else fed [........ing] up with women sitting down at a bar, and putting a handbag big enough to hold Pandora’s box of evils on the adjacent stool, effectively taking up two seats?

Then, when the place is packed and the obliviot is still yapping away (usually about how nasty men are), and is asked if the seat is available, she acts (1) as if the whole situation is a flabbergasting surprise to her, or (2) as if the person pointing out her self-centered obliviousness is the jerk, as opposed to the actual self-centered obliviot (her).

These people are either stupid or think the rest of the world is. Neither is a good explanation.

Rant over. Back to our regularly-scheduled programming.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Why does the age old sitcom crap about men being wusses when they get sick and women can battle a dragon when they are sick still exist? I have been near death (literally) and still went to work, school, etc. I once was suffering with pneumonia during finals. I still was going to classes and work. When I finally did go to the doctor after a week, I was lectured by every doctor and nurse of how incredibly dangerous that was. I also once had appendicitis. I went thru that for 3 days before going to the doctor.

This post comes from a facebook post one of my idiot female cousins posted about the 2 types of flu. The one women and children get and the one men get. Now I have had the flu in my lifetime and so has both of my sisters, my mom and my dad. I remember this quite well. Both my sisters acted as if they were dying. I kept trying to do too much well before I should have. I even tried eating full course meals (bad idea). My dad went back to work as did my mom.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Why does the age old sitcom crap about men being wusses when they get sick and women can battle a dragon when they are sick still exist? I have been near death (literally) and still went to work, school, etc. I once was suffering with pneumonia during finals. I still was going to classes and work. When I finally did go to the doctor after a week, I was lectured by every doctor and nurse of how incredibly dangerous that was. I also once had appendicitis. I went thru that for 3 days before going to the doctor.

This post comes from a facebook post one of my idiot female cousins posted about the 2 types of flu. The one women and children get and the one men get. Now I have had the flu in my lifetime and so has both of my sisters, my mom and my dad. I remember this quite well. Both my sisters acted as if they were dying. I kept trying to do too much well before I should have. I even tried eating full course meals (bad idea). My dad went back to work as did my mom.
My wife feels the need to run to the doctor if she has the sniffles for more than a day. I just muddle through if I get a cold.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004

I assume women who like those type sitcoms and post the posts you're referring to, are very insecure women who need to put men down to lift themselves up. I've had it out with a few on FB over the years. The narrative is worn out, old and lacking in substance. I just ignore them now.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I assume women who like those type sitcoms and post the posts you're referring to, are very insecure women who need to put men down to lift themselves up. I've had it out with a few on FB over the years. The narrative is worn out, old and lacking in substance. I just ignore them now.
I agree. It's comedy. I try not to let comedy offend me.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Pretty much describes the person who posted it, which is why it irked me so much. I know that both her and her mom are hypochondriacs and go to the doctor all the time for nothing.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL

A2994104-2BE6-47B7-B3E1-DD69DAC4F746.jpeg

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.