Bama Game Thread: Official Postgame Thread Bama vs. Ole Miss...

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
IMO, not too much should be read into this game re: Bama's D. Not saying there may not be reasons for concern but this was an unorthodox offensive effort by OM. Bama won't see this again. Also, as others have noted, Bama got so far ahead, they did not maintain good focus. I was actually encouraged at the half, so even though it's frustrating, I'm not reading too much into this effort. One reason for encouragement was the D adjustments on the fly in the first half. It was just an odd game. There will be criticism from the Bama haters and from the Bama pessimists but a lot of it will be unwarranted, IMO. Bama is starting 5 true freshmen, 4 in the front 7. They are playing more than that with the game on the line.

The O was fabulous, including the run blocking being good (don't know why a few fans were criticizing that). OM had given up 15 to Memphis, 17 to Ark, 29 to SE La and 28 to Cal. Bama could have scored 80.
There is some truth in this. If Nick had game film on Plumlee, I’m sure the defense would be different. There would be a spy in middle . Plus, Seems teams like OM and USCe know they have no chance, and throw caution to the wind with gambles on 4th down and onside/pooch kicks after scores.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I totally get that people seem to forget the context for why this defense is not to the standard but it doesn't change that 2 years of subpar Alabama defense is likely to waste the best QB+WR corp combo we've had and maybe anyone has ever had. Sure they'll put up some crazy numbers but I don't think numbers really matter.

Does anyone really ever talk about that time Julio Jones had 12 receptions and 221 yards against Tennessee? Nah, because it was a win in a disappointing 2010 season. People will still remember Cody blocking a couple FGAs in a Tennessee victory en route to a national title though.

Right or wrong all this offensive excellence is only going to be immortalized if they lift that Georgia O'Keefe Tribute CFP trophy.

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
I totally get that people seem to forget the context for why this defense is not to the standard but it doesn't change that 2 years of subpar Alabama defense is likely to waste the best QB+WR corp combo we've had and maybe anyone has ever had. Sure they'll put up some crazy numbers but I don't think numbers really matter.

Does anyone really ever talk about that time Julio Jones had 12 receptions and 221 yards against Tennessee? Nah, because it was a win in a disappointing 2010 season. People will still remember Cody blocking a couple FGAs in a Tennessee victory en route to a national title though.

Right or wrong all this offensive excellence is only going to be immortalized if they lift that Georgia O'Keefe Tribute CFP trophy.
What do you mean "waste"? Tua and these same receivers have already won one national title - the first year they played together mind you - and lost the title game to a 15-0 team in the 2nd year. I'm not happy with the defensive results so far either, but saying we're likely to "waste" our offensive talent is a bit much in my opinion and at least Tua & D. Smith are already "immortalized" for what they did to UGA.

Our biggest issues on defense are (1) obviously the youth in the middle, and (2) our offensive style is keeping our defense on the field a lot. Regarding (1), I'm seeing a lot of overrunning plays, poor pursuit angles, lost containment, etc. - in other words, stuff that only gets better with experience. We're a tad slow at MLB, yes, but otherwise I'm not seeing "ability" problems for the most part, but experience problems. Regarding (2), as an example OM ran 88 plays today. You're going to give up some stuff when you're on the field that much, but geez we had 38 pts at the half and averaged about 3 minutes a drive on O. Something had to give. Before today, we were averaging about 4.3 yds per play on D. Not elite, but still good enough for 15th in the country (by the way, ahead of that mighty front 7 of Auburn at 30th, averaging 4.7).

I believe it will improve with the caveat that we don't have any more significant injuries in the middle of the front 7. It's not up to Alabama standards, no, but it's also not the disaster some are making it out to be. To complement the youth on D, we would ideally run a grind it out ball control offense to help them out, but that would be insanity considering the truly GENERATIONAL talent we have at QB and WR this year (and the RBs are coming on too from what I saw today). With a little injury luck and some growth in the younger players, this defense is still good enough to win the CFP when we can score like we can right now.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Situational running is still problematic though. We need to be able to get a tough yard when they know whats coming sometimes. Especially near the goal line but almost just as important when you have a 3rd and short in the limbo zone (punt v. go for it).

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
What do you mean "waste"? Tua and these same receivers have already won one national title - the first year they played together mind you - and lost the title game to a 15-0 team in the 2nd year. I'm not happy with the defensive results so far either, but saying we're likely to "waste" our offensive talent is a bit much in my opinion and at least Tua & D. Smith are already "immortalized" for what they did to UGA.

Our biggest issues on defense are (1) obviously the youth in the middle, and (2) our offensive style is keeping our defense on the field a lot. Regarding (1), I'm seeing a lot of overrunning plays, poor pursuit angles, lost containment, etc. - in other words, stuff that only gets better with experience. We're a tad slow at MLB, yes, but otherwise I'm not seeing "ability" problems for the most part, but experience problems. Regarding (2), as an example OM ran 88 plays today. You're going to give up some stuff when you're on the field that much, but geez we had 38 pts at the half and averaged about 3 minutes a drive on O. Something had to give. Before today, we were averaging about 4.3 yds per play on D. Not elite, but still good enough for 15th in the country (by the way, ahead of that mighty front 7 of Auburn at 30th, averaging 4.7).

I believe it will improve with the caveat that we don't have any more significant injuries in the middle of the front 7. It's not up to Alabama standards, no, but it's also not the disaster some are making it out to be. To complement the youth on D, we would ideally run a grind it out ball control offense to help them out, but that would be insanity considering the truly GENERATIONAL talent we have at QB and WR this year (and the RBs are coming on too from what I saw today). With a little injury luck and some growth in the younger players, this defense is still good enough to win the CFP when we can score like we can right now.
For the talent we have around here and the success rate we've had at getting titles, getting only 1 with this offensive core would be like LSU getting 0 with Leonard Fournette. I'm not going to nbd @ our early hiccups on defense. People did the same crap with Arkansas in 2018 and they frankly were a portent for what was to come because they run nearly the exact same scheme as Clemson.

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
For the talent we have around here and the success rate we've had at getting titles, getting only 1 with this offensive core would be like LSU getting 0 with Leonard Fournette. I'm not going to nbd @ our early hiccups on defense. People did the same crap with Arkansas in 2018 and they frankly were a portent for what was to come because they run nearly the exact same scheme as Clemson.
Fair enough, but you're stance is that "we're 'wasting' Tua and company because of the defense". No doubt, Clemson shredded us last year, but that was far from our only problem in that game. The whole team came in unfocused and made a multitude of uncharacteristic mistakes, Tua and coaches included. You can't lay all that at the feet of the defense, and even Saban himself has said that the whole team practiced (and played) at about 80-85% that week. Defensive shortcomings aside, you know as well as I do that if the team (and the coaches) had really been locked in that Clemson very likely gets whacked and Tua, Jeudy, Smitty, Ruggs, and Waddle have title #2. IDK, I just can't line up with the "wasted because of the defense" premise. Just my $.02.

EDIT: Let me add, I'm not saying our issues this year are "no big deal" - they could still get us beat in the right circumstances. I'm just trying to see it in context and recognize there's still (1) time to improve and (2) a path to a title anyway. If we're still playing like we did today 3-5 games down the road, then I'll be much more concerned.

Last edited:

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
Any news on Waddle and why he wasn’t playing much in the second half ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
The reality is that even with all our well documented problems you better have an elite pass rusher or two and a secondary scheme that will allow them to cover long enough to sack Tua. And Tua has gotten better about stepping up in the pocket and having a bit more strength at getting out of grabs from rushers too.

You better come correct to beat Alabama still, it is just a bit different than how it is most years. The problems I'm talking about really only loom large against 6 or so other team in the nation (I think). Kinda concerned heading to Aggy in two weeks but it would take a perfect storm more than likely.

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
The reality is that even with all our well documented problems you better have an elite pass rusher or two and a secondary scheme that will allow them to cover long enough to sack Tua. And Tua has gotten better about stepping up in the pocket and having a bit more strength at getting out of grabs from rushers too.

You better come correct to beat Alabama still, it is just a bit different than how it is most years. The problems I'm talking about really only loom large against 6 or so other team in the nation (I think). Kinda concerned heading to Aggy in two weeks but it would take a perfect storm more than likely.

Yeah, A&M was vastly overrated early as many of us thought, but Mond is still quite an athlete and can fly. Seeing what this kid from OM did today has to get Jimbo and Mond excited a little, but I'm hoping we get some things straightened out on containment over the bye.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
But what are you wanting the fanbase to do? Can we not exercise some understanding, give some support? Would doing so, mean we're going soft and not demanding enough from the program :)? Come on, the coaching staff, especially the HC, is doing everything he possibly can to address the issues. Issues that he understands far better than we, as well as the proper solution. The fanbase giving advice to CNS or griping, is like a 2 yo helping a brain surgeon remove a tumor. It's a game, enjoy it because there is nothing we can do that has value except to support the program.

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012
I think everyone needs to relax, every team other than Ohio State has some big flaws right now, everything will sort itself out.

Clemson - Stagnant Offense
LSU - Not the usual LSU defense
OU - Running Game besides Jalen
UGA - Conservative Approach/No Pass Rush

We’re not alone with problems but teams like LSU and Georgia are not unbeatable either so I wouldn’t fear them that much, only team that really makes me raise my eyebrows right now is Auburn because they seem to be clicking, we’ll see how they do in October.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
This game was about what I expected except Ole Miss tacked on two late touchdowns to make it look more respectable. I thought Ole Miss played with some fire and grit early on when they actually had the lead after one quarter. I wanted to see how our team responded to being behind after one quarter, and they dominated for a while. We outscored them 45-7 in the second and third quarters and took control of the game. Tua and this fantastic group of receivers are really fun to watch. I had been wondering about Devonta Smith the last few games, but he had the best day I've ever seen from an Alabama receiver. Teams are keying on Jeudy, it seems, but he still gets some catches and blocks like crazy. I hated to see Ruggs go down, but he came back later even if he did look a little slower than normal. These guys are just great and will soon be making a lot of money. I liked what I saw in the running game a lot more in this game, too. The defense looked good at times, but like most teams that score in bunches, the guys just seem to lose focus once we are ahead big. It is hard to play with urgency when you are ahead by 40 points. We added to our record of hitting the upright with a kick, which is just unbelievable. Otherwise, the kicking was solid. We controlled the game, but most of us just aren't used to giving up 31 points and feeling good about it. Will our defensive lapses and kicking game errors cost us a game? We will see. For now, though, I am able to relax and enjoy a 28 point conference victory. Roll Tide!

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I have an idea about the kicking game.
Alabama should propose a rule change to the effect that a field goal is worth three points, but hitting the upright is worth four.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
After watching our linebackers one series, I looked at my buddy and asked if trey depriest was back in town....man they looked slow
And they’ve effectively played nearly 2 more games than the offense already!! Coach mentioned it in the presser after the game. It’s great scoring every 70 seconds but the defense is so young that the offense has to control the clock for two main reasons. ONE- to give the defense that has scarcely any depth a chance to catch its breath and TWO- a chance to show the younger players what the offense is doing and allow them to teach. It matters when the core of the front 7 is true freshmen playing their 2nd SEC game. Saban talked about protecting them a bit and I expect Tua and company to start pumping the brakes a bit when the situation arises again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
The Plumlee kid was cat quick. Mond is not. Mond is a great runner and is crazy fast, but in games I’ve seen so far, Jimbo has forgotten that he can run and doesn’t send him on keepers.
Yeah, A&M was vastly overrated early as many of us thought, but Mond is still quite an athlete and can fly. Seeing what this kid from OM did today has to get Jimbo and Mond excited a little, but I'm hoping we get some things straightened out on containment over the bye.

dirtroadlizard

All-SEC
Nov 3, 2011
Bunker Creek , FL
The problems we are having on defense are no surprise considering all of the Juniors going pro , defections, and season ending injuries . We all knew this young defense would have it's struggles. You still have to outscore our offense to beat us . I can't understand what all the whining is about !

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Random thought I had watching the game. I didn't watch them every snap but...At times Neal seemed to have a hard time finding someone to block in pass pro. Deonte Brown didn't seem to have that issue. He looked better at helping out later in the play and finding someone to double team or chip.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Yeah and one of our best defenses, maybe the best, was “wasted” in 2016.

It is what it is. You can’t squeeze blood from a turnip. Either Tua and company overcome our defensive issues or they don’t. Despite anything else I’ve seen from any other teams, I wouldn’t trade place with anyone else right now.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
We just have to hope our defense gets better (they should this is the perfect year for 2 bye weeks) and that Tua plays like he did yesterday for the rest of the year. The way he is throwing the ball and moving in the pocket right now is something, especially yesterday

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.