Bama Game Thread: Official Postgame Thread Bama vs. Ole Miss...

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
It’s distressing to see so many runs wide and straight up the middle of our D. They were getting 10, 15, 20 yard gains on the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
But it is a win. Thankful for that. I just miss our strangling Defenses. This AIN'T one who can stand with any of those. But when...you consider the rules of today....many of our Defenses of past days would struggle if they were playing today. One day....we will have to stop calling it.....DEFENSE.

BayouBama75

All-SEC
Dec 7, 2001
Knoxville, TN
I think one of the biggest issues with the D is no one ever has containment. Their QB would run for 6 easy yards around the end often today. The last TD was on the backups, the first TD came after a TO inside our 30. They should have held them but still it was a short field. AUs run game is starting to concern me though....

Bama 8Ball

1st Team
Oct 10, 2018
Too Far North
I hate it, and I am worried. Our LBs looked slow today. That may be a combination of a delay in reading plays and the quickness of a Plumlee , but they looked slow to me.
This defense looks worse than last years defense. I think Nick needs to put in backups earlier in the game, the first team gets up big , and lose intensity. Maybe the second team will be excited about playing early. They need a leader to step up. They held Ole Sis to 134 yards at the half, mostly on Plumlee’s legs. Second half they gave up 300 and 3 TDs. Pete needs to do some of that coaching stuff during the bye and get this Young defense’s attention!
After watching our linebackers one series, I looked at my buddy and asked if trey depriest was back in town....man they looked slow

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I think one of the biggest issues with the D is no one ever has containment. Their QB would run for 6 easy yards around the end often today. The last TD was on the backups, the first TD came after a TO inside our 30. They should have held them but still it was a short field. AUs run game is starting to concern me though....
Makes me wonder how much we really prepared for the them this week. Did we know which QB they'd start?

Maybe we were preparing for Clemson this past week.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Thing is, it’s not just our passing D, guys.

Everyone that rushed the ball today for Ole Miss, except one, averaged 4 yds or more per rush against us; two of them averaged over 6 yds/rush.

With our uncontrollable injury situation, what is the answer?

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
Not all this is o Golding..but for all the parts that are his to fix....I think midseason is too late. Best we can hope for is for Everyone to get healthy and that they can stay that way.
Yeah, the hope is they grow up quick...…………...I like Golding, but I am not sold on him yet. Of course, there is youth out there, and it takes time to get them there. I am still optimistic ( cautiously optimistic) that they get the middle shored up and get the defense up to speed. Better teams are coming up and none will be easy...……hopefully things start to click. I am sure Saban has got to be frustrated

Last edited:

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
Not sure I'll ever get used to playing B12-style football. Super-happy about the win, but the defense was atrocious for much of the game, and OM isn't very good...

I think Bama can outscore just about anybody, so I'm not worried, but dang, I hate this style of football.
Well, I think we're seeing this kind of football because of the injuries on the defense. Just a lot of young folks over there on that side. Yes, we did give up some points today, but what I was glad to see was most of the Ole Miss points came after this one was decided. I don't like giving up the points, and it's not what I'm used to seeing, but at least the defense is not breaking early. We've usually got plenty on the board before the opponent manages to get a score or two. Hopefully we can keep building on that from here out.

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012
In 2 SEC games we have given up 54 points. Even the biggest sunshine pumper should be a little concerned.
It’s concerning but those two games featured QBs that we were not game planning for, we were supposed to be playing against Bentley, got Hilinski instead, supposed to be playing against Corral, got Plumlee instead.

Those big runs and TDs we gave up in the second half were not promising but the game was out of hand at the point, while it was still a tight game, the defense played well.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
So far I’ve been right about 3 teams that most thought they knew.

1) Alabama- will rely on Tua to win a championship because of a lack of a dominant running back and an inexperienced defense

2) aTm- a group of misfit toys that will have everyone’s attention until they play Clemson. A 7-5 team

3) Auburn- a team that will be 7-0 or 6-1 heading into Baton Rouge because they have the best defense in the conference and an easier first 7 games than what people think.

But for months people said the opposite and laughed at the idea that these takes could ever be true.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
IMO, not too much should be read into this game re: Bama's D. Not saying there may not be reasons for concern but this was an unorthodox offensive effort by OM. Bama won't see this again. Also, as others have noted, Bama got so far ahead, they did not maintain good focus. I was actually encouraged at the half, so even though it's frustrating, I'm not reading too much into this effort. One reason for encouragement was the D adjustments on the fly in the first half. It was just an odd game. There will be criticism from the Bama haters and from the Bama pessimists but a lot of it will be unwarranted, IMO. Bama is starting 5 true freshmen, 4 in the front 7. They are playing more than that with the game on the line.

The O was fabulous, including the run blocking being good (don't know why a few fans were criticizing that). OM had given up 15 to Memphis, 17 to Ark, 29 to SE La and 28 to Cal. Bama could have scored 80.

Last edited:

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
On a positive note, we are FUN to watch, and will be in every game with this O. We may not have another qb like this again the rest of some of our lifetimes.

The barn may run at will against us and put up 40 points in their yard, but we will not be embarrassed or get blown out. It will take A LOT to stop our O.

EnterBama

Scout Team
Oct 24, 2018
I can't remember the last time a team hung 280 rushing yards on an Alabama team much less a true freshman on a mediocre team throwing for near 200. THAT is concerning.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Anyone have a link to CNS's postgame presser?

Elsewhere it's being said that Jaylen Waddle was spotted in a Boot after the game???

I can't find anything definitive about though and surly CNS would address it??

Hoping to debunk it as rumor or find out it's not serious.

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012
I can't remember the last time a team hung 280 rushing yards on an Alabama team much less a true freshman on a mediocre team throwing for near 200. THAT is concerning.
A lot of those yards came when the game was well in hand.

For some reason we’re just not a 4 Quarter team when it comes to blowouts.

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
Not sure I'll ever get used to playing B12-style football. Super-happy about the win, but the defense was atrocious for much of the game, and OM isn't very good...

I think Bama can outscore just about anybody, so I'm not worried, but dang, I hate this style of football.
What I dont understand is why WE cant do both? Are we scoring so fast that D gets winded? Are other teams’ O that much improved? Are we just young/injured?

Where did our lock down, shut’em out D go?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
We have some elite players on D. But also have a bunch of young guys and its going to keep showing up. Especially at ILB. Hopefully they continue to improve enough that we're ready for better teams.

Fortunately our first real test isn't until LSU.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.