2019 Tua Heisman Campaign Thread

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Okay, I know Ive said many times that I dont think Tua can win a Heisman Trophey after losing it the year prior because he would have to eclipse his numbers the year before and it has only happened once in history. But given how Sark and CNS have been calling plays this year, I think it changes my opinion some, but I think it is entirely possible. FTR I want a NC over a Heisman but it would be very nice to have Tua win the award. So here are some pitfalls I see, and some checks he will probably have to mark off to get it. Some are in his control, and some are out of his control.

Check #1: He has to improve on the 2018 campaign:

Here are his 2018 stats:

2018 SEASON
PASSING
YDSTDINTCMP%QBR
RUSHING
YDSTDYPC

Here are his current stats

passing

2019AlabamaSECJRQB511314876.4171811.614.7230225.1

rushing
2019AlabamaSECJRQB516452.8200016452.82

*** Note: His 2018 stats are after the UGA game because that was the cutoff for Heisman voting

I think he is on pace to have a mammoth season barring an injury or a total slump. If he stays on the current pace then he should break both the TD and yards by week 10.

--- potential pitfall: CNS decides to start working on the run or starts taking him out early against teams that we totally blow out in the 1st half

Check #2: He needs to break one of the coveted Alabama passing records:

This one is one that isn't a must, but breaking either is a tremendous boost to his campaign. Breaking both would most likely win it.

A) the passing yards record:

Tua sits 2,699 yards away. Given his 343.6 yards per game, it would take him until the SECCG to break unless there are a couple more 400 yard games. But it is the hardest one to break

B) The single game record

RankPlayerYardsYearOpponent
1Scott Hunter4841969Auburn
2Blake Sims445[SUP][19][/SUP]2014Florida
3Tua Tagovailoa444[SUP][10][/SUP]2019South Carolina
4Tua Tagovailoa418[SUP][12][/SUP]2019Ole Miss
Tua has been in position twice to break it this year. He shouldve broke it vs USCe. I think he will get more oppurtunities to break it.

Check #3: The Heisman moment

All last year many on here said the Heisman moment was a myth. But it isnt. Tua needs one in a bad way

-- potential pitfall- The problem is that outside UGA and Auburn there really arent many great defenses that we are going to play. Sure you can argue a duel with LSU might be a moment, but I really think a moment is going to be tied to Auburn and UGA. Out of both of those, Auburn maybe the only one. While folks are so dismissive of Auburn keep in mind that they are the only guarenteed team out of the two. UGA could realistically not make it to Atlanta as dumb as it seems. The UF-UGA game will be against teams with top defense and a game between rivals in which crazieness is bound to happen. UGA also has a sneaky game against Mizzou sandwhiched in between UF and Auburn and aTm right afterwards. Kirby in all 3 years has been blown out on the road vs the SECW. Point is UF could steal the East. While UF's defense is good, the game wont be as high on the hype as a rematch between UGA-UA. So as of now, Auburn and Tua are tied at the hip

Check #4: The competition

Right now its Tua, Hurts, and Fields. I think unless Fields is the most hampered of the 3 because of his youth and competition. Tua really needs to blow out Jalen or make them very comparable. Or better yet, hope Jalen drops a few to get a good feeling vs Hurts.

*** Note*** I didnt include Burrows because the Tua-Burrows showdown will decide itself

Check #5: Win the SEC

I think Tua's case more than any contender, Alabama NEEDS the SEC title, and most likely an undefeated season.

Ultimately I think things need to continue to bounce Tua's way, and he needs to continue to produce at the rate they are in order to bring the award back to T-town. Again Im hoping more for the ugly trophy than the Heisman, but getting both would be extra nice.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I don’t care how great his stats are, I think he will have a hard time overcoming the media love fest with Jalen. They’ve practically already anointed him as the winner. And one thing about Jalen—he’s physically tough and not likely to miss any playing time due to injury.

Last edited:

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I don’t care how great his stats are, I think he will have a hard time overcoming the media love fest with Jalen. They’ve practically already anointed him as the winner. And one thing about Jalen—he’s physically tough and not likely to miss any playing time due to injury.
He missed games last year with the ankle.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Tua just SMASHED some Alabama QB records this weekend and is well on pace to throw for 5,000+ yards and 60+ TD....

And yet Vegas has Jalen as the slight Heisman favorite right now at -260

Tua is next at -300.

Tua is going to get completely robbed AGAIN unless Oklahoma drops a game or two and/or Jalen has some rough games.

We learned last year that Tua can have ‘ZERO’ subpar performances. Doesn’t matter the reason....

He has to play absolute lights out through the SECCG at 13-0 to even have a shot.

I don’t care anymore though. I want him to win it for him because he deserves it but it doesn’t change the fact that he’s been the Best Player in CFB for over 2 years now.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Tua just SMASHED some Alabama QB records this weekend and is well on pace to throw for 5,000+ yards and 60+ TD....

And yet Vegas has Jalen as the slight Heisman favorite right now at -260

Tua is next at -300.

Tua is going to get completely robbed AGAIN unless Oklahoma drops a game or two and/or Jalen has some rough games.

We learned last year that Tua can have ‘ZERO’ subpar performances. Doesn’t matter the reason....

He has to play absolute lights out through the SECCG at 13-0 to even have a shot.

I don’t care anymore though. I want him to win it for him because he deserves it but it doesn’t change the fact that he’s been the Best Player in CFB for over 2 years now.
Even if Jalen is the favorite right now I wouldn't give up hope. If Tua has big games against LSU and Auburn I think he will become the favorite. The only real competition left on OU's schedule might be Texas but even if Jalen has a big game against Texas it won't prove much since Burrow already torched the Texas D.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Despite the absurdity of a third Oklahoma QB being winning in a row, that does remain the most likely outcome. Even Vegas still has Hurts at #1.

Having said that though, the LSU vs. Alabama matchup is looking like it could end up becoming the game that decides not just the Heisman frontrunner, but the #1 ranked team as well.

scrybe

3rd Team
Sep 6, 2019
I'm sorry guys, but I just don't understand the paranoia over who wins the Heisman. Isn't it generally accepted that Tua had the trophy wrapped up last year, then lost it to Murray because of his performance in the SEC title game?

I suppose our priorities are different because of our recent experiences as fans of two different schools. I, personally, would give up OU's last two Heismans and hope to never win another in exchange for just one more national title. I suppose its different for fans of a school that wins national titles about as regularly as some of us change socks.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I'm sorry guys, but I just don't understand the paranoia over who wins the Heisman. Isn't it generally accepted that Tua had the trophy wrapped up last year, then lost it to Murray because of his performance in the SEC title game?
It's not that Bama fans care more about the Hypseman than the NC, but it's that the obviously more talented QB who played against a much tougher schedule lost to KM.

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
outside of an injury, Tua is gonna do Tua things. Which over the course of a season will be insane. I think he gets it, even with 1 average Tua game which is probably still 3 td's..Regardless of how great Jalen plays, the passing numbers will be too much to look over in the end.

Blueguitar

3rd Team
Nov 19, 2017
Tua will win the Heisman if:

1. He stays healthy.
2. No wave of injuries among his receivers or the OL like we had at inside LB.
3. He has "average" Tua games against LSU, Auburn, and presumably Georgia.

Since an "average" Tua game includes several plays that could be considered Heisman moments, that won't be an issue.

Jalen will only win it if he continues to put up his big numbers and Tua falters. If both continue to perform at this level, I don't see Jalen beating out Tua. To believe that Jalen is better than Tua, you have to believe that Saban made a mistake in letting Tua take Jalen's job. I don't think any sane person, even one with an anti-Saban mindset, could convince themselves of that unless something goes wrong for Tua. Plus Tua will have played 3 top ten teams in November and December, and Jalen one such team at most.

But I have huge respect for both of those guys, and I'd be delighted to see either one at the podium in Manhattan. Winning the NC is 100 times more important.

Last edited:

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Tua will win the Heisman if:

1. He stays healthy.
2. No wave of injuries among his receivers or the OL like we had at inside LB.
3. He has "average" Tua games against LSU, Auburn, and presumably Georgia.

Since an "average" Tua game includes several plays that could be considered Heisman moments, that won't be an issue.

Jalen will only win it if he continues to put up his big numbers and Tua falters. If both continue to perform at this level, I don't see Jalen beating out Tua. To believe that Jalen is better than Tua, you have to believe that Saban made a mistake in letting Tua take Jalen's job. I don't think any sane person, even one with an anti-Saban mindset, could convince themselves of that unless something goes wrong for Tua. Plus Tua will have played 3 top ten teams in November and December, and Jalen one such team at most.

But I have huge respect for both of those guys, and I'd be delighted to see either one at the podium in Manhattan. Winning the NC is 100 times more important.
In other words, Tua must basically draw a royal flush against LSU, Auburn, AND Georgia—the three toughest games potentially that he will play minus any playoff games. May happen but I wouldn’t bet any of my hard-earned money on him being virtually flawless in ALL three of those games.

Last edited:

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
Jalen will only win it if he continues to put up his big numbers and Tua falters. If both continue to perform at this level, I don't see Jalen beating out Tua. To believe that Jalen is better than Tua, you have to believe that Saban made a mistake in letting Tua take Jalen's job.
Kyler Murray beat out Kyle Allen for Heisman last year. So...

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I really think it boils down to this—Jalen has a significant lead on Tua at this point in time with the people that will greatly influence the final vote. If Tua can close the gap significantly AND Jalen falters then he has a chance. As long as they both match stat for stat each weekend, it’s Jalen’s to lose.

In November, when many heismans are won and lost, Tua will be playing against real defenses, while Jalen will be playing against air out in the Midwest.

Last edited:

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I really think it boils down to this—Jalen has a significant lead on Tua at this point in time with the people that will greatly influence the final vote. If Tua can close the gap significantly AND Jalen falters then he has a chance. As long as they both match stat for stat each weekend, it’s Jalen’s to lose.
The media already wants to give it to Jalen. This is based on the "never really given a chance" and "unleashed" talk.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
If we go undefeated Tua is winning the Heisman. Mostly because we aren't going undefeated without Tua playing out of this world vs Auburn, LSU and Georgia

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.