Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BamaNation All-American

Re: 2019-20 Coaching Carousel

nvm

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar

Speaking of which, don't ever forget this:

Nutt Turns Down Nebraska

Nutt said he never accepted the job and he was flattered at Nebraska's offer, but that it was best for him to remain at Arkansas. He informed Nebraska officials Friday night that he wasn't taking the job.

"For six long years we've poured our heart into this program, and we feel that our work isn't finished," Nutt said. "I know we can do better. So many times I think we're not far off."

Nebraska offered Nutt the job Friday, but Arkansas made a counteroffer. Details were not announced, but Nutt said the contract was close to $1.5 million per year, which would almost double his salary, with a few more details to be worked out.

They're going to take care of me," Nutt said.

Nebraska athletic director Steve Pederson said Saturday the head coaching job hasn't been offered to anyone yet and that he simply wanted Nutt to come to campus for a formal interview.

Pederson also said that reports Nutt was offered a package worth up to $2.5 million were false.

"I about fell out of my chair when I read that," Pederson said.

Nutt confirmed that there had been no offer on the table.

"He didn't actually ever offer me the job, but I'm protecting him a little bit, too," Nutt said. "Things would have gotten very difficult if I had gotten on that plane."

==================

Roughly translated, Houston Nutt was full of.........
    My New Year's resolution for 2019 is this year I'm not going to drink anymore. I'm not going to drink any less, either.

I was married for 25 years, but if I'd killed her on the honeymoon, I'd have been out in less than 20.

Butch Jones has richly earned his title, The Archbishop of Talentbury

After reading all the horrible things drinking will do to you....I gave up reading.

BamaNation All-American gtowntide's Avatar

I love all the MASH references, as it is my favorite TV show. I still watch the reruns every time they’re on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gtowntide View Post
    I love all the MASH references, as it is my favorite TV show. I still watch the reruns every time they’re on!

Me too, gtowntde. As a matter of fact my wife swears I have the actual dialogue memorized.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    Rumor has it, Butch Jones is high on Rutgers list
    The reality is that historically Rutgers has not been a competitive program and now being in the B1G East even less so. We all know it is about the money from the B1G, but Rutgers would be a better fit in the AAC. As a member of the B1G Rutgers is at best a 6-7 win program. They will battle Maryland and Indiana every year to avoid the cellar.
    Last edited by GrayTide; October 1st, 2019 at 04:06 PM.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    The reality is that historically Rutgers has not been a competitive program and now being in the B1G East even less so. We all know it is about the money from the B1G, but Rutgers would be a better fit in the AAC. As a member of the B1G Rutgers is at best a 6-7 win program. They will battle Maryland and Indiana every year to avoid the cellar.
    The B1G brought in Rutgers for one reason - to get the Big Ten network into the millions of homes in the Northeast. Bringing in Rutgers has been very beneficial, financially, to the conference.

BamaNation All-American Padreruf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    The B1G brought in Rutgers for one reason - to get the Big Ten network into the millions of homes in the Northeast. Bringing in Rutgers has been very beneficial, financially, to the conference.
    Yes...and also to be a patsy for the rest of the conference. It's all about the Benjamins and TV viewers...
    "The greatest evil in the world is not 'not knowing;' it is not knowing that you do not know." Alfred North Whitehead

BamaNation All-American FitToBeTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Padreruf View Post
    Yes...and also to be a patsy for the rest of the conference. It's all about the Benjamins and TV viewers...
    Alas, the coin of the realm...

"When you are arguing against Him, you are arguing against the very power that makes you able to argue at all." C.S. Lewis

Advice from an old farmer: "The biggest troublemaker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every mornin’."
    "Always drink upstream from the herd."
    "If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..."

BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    I think many just don’t understand the markets. It’s why we constantly have a discussion about “why is Mizzou in the SEC?”

I realize why The B1G wanted Rutgers and it certainly makes sense from a financial standpoint. It also means teams like Rutgers and Maryland, who will never be able to compete in the B1G, will have to go through the coaching carousel every 2-4 years. If those program's accept the fact that they cannot realistically compete and can settle most years with 6-7 wins and a trip a low level bowl game then they avoid coaching turnover. Somebody like Butch Jones ought to be able to do that occasionally.

I think many just don’t understand the markets. It’s why we constantly have a discussion about “why is Mizzou in the SEC?”
    I think most posters on here thought Mizzou was a bad fit for the SEC, that it was more in line with the B1G which was what Mizzou wanted according to most media sources at the time. My only remaining complaint is the SEC needs to swap Mizzou for Auburn, geographically and from a a strength of divisions standpoint.

BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    I think most posters on here thought Mizzou was a bad fit for the SEC, that it was more in line with the B1G which was what Mizzou wanted according to most media sources at the time. My only remaining complaint is the SEC needs to swap Mizzou for Auburn, geographically and from a a strength of divisions standpoint.
    I think that Auburn and Mizzou switch wouldn’t be the end of it. I think us and Vandy would be part of it as well. The IB makes too much money.

Mizzou is a really big pickup for the SEC due to St. Louis and KC markets.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar

I think that Auburn and Mizzou switch wouldn’t be the end of it. I think us and Vandy would be part of it as well. The IB makes too much money.
    LSU would love that idea.