2019-20 Coaching Carousel

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Do you consider a man who has never spent a single day as even an ASSISTANT coach to be a viable coaching candidate?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...merges-candidate-fsu-coaching-job/2527093001/

Deion Sanders — a member of both the Pro Football and College Football Hall of Fame — has emerged as a candidate for the Florida State head coaching job, NFL Network reports.

On Sunday, FSU fired Willie Taggart midway through his second season as head coach, opening up a job at what has historically been one of college football's most successful programs.

Sanders' candidacy is a surprise in that the former Seminoles defensive back has no college or NFL coaching experience.
Good grief. I suppose FSU is fine with being mediocre to bad at football for the foreseeable future.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Do you consider a man who has never spent a single day as even an ASSISTANT coach to be a viable coaching candidate?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...merges-candidate-fsu-coaching-job/2527093001/

Deion Sanders — a member of both the Pro Football and College Football Hall of Fame — has emerged as a candidate for the Florida State head coaching job, NFL Network reports.

On Sunday, FSU fired Willie Taggart midway through his second season as head coach, opening up a job at what has historically been one of college football's most successful programs.

Sanders' candidacy is a surprise in that the former Seminoles defensive back has no college or NFL coaching experience.
Just to be fair......posters on Warchant hate Deion as a candidate and are laughing that he would even be considered!

Annotation 2019-11-08 061340.png

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
At least when you look at the names during our own coaching search - unless there's a name that's faded from view - at the very least we were looking for guys (post-DuBose hire)
that had some coaching experience. And TBF to DuBose, at least he'd been an assistant for a long time.

This suggestion would be about like Alabama watching Ray Perkins leave and someone suggesting, "Hey, why don't we consider hiring Joe Namath as head coach at Alabama"?

The very idea would be beyond insane.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham

He’s offensive coordinator at a big Texas school where his son is the quarterback. I do believe the son is highly regarded.

https://247sports.com/Player/Shedeur-Sanders-46042823/

His brother plays at South Carolina

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
He’s offensive coordinator at a big Texas school where his son is the quarterback. I do believe the son is highly regarded.

https://247sports.com/Player/Shedeur-Sanders-46042823/

His brother plays at South Carolina

Deion? Not currently he isn't.

Sanders' only previous coaching experience has come at the high school level. He helped found the Prime Prep Academy in 2012, but he was removed as the football coach following assault allegations against him by a school staffer

yeah, we have a winner here....

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
https://247sports.com/Article/NFL-H...ristian-Cedar-Hill-into-powerhouse-119791816/

After a couple of years away from the high school ranks, Sanders joined Trinity Christian as its offensive coordinator in 2017. In that role, he quickly helped transform a sub-.500 team into the TAPPS DII state champions.

https://www.dallasnews.com/high-sch...re-in-quest-for-a-third-straight-state-crown/

The overtime loss is the game I saw him on espn. I’ll take back my statement about big Texas school (I think they have 500 students), but they’ve won several state titles lately.

Last edited:

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
At least when you look at the names during our own coaching search - unless there's a name that's faded from view - at the very least we were looking for guys (post-DuBose hire)
that had some coaching experience. And TBF to DuBose, at least he'd been an assistant for a long time.

This suggestion would be about like Alabama watching Ray Perkins leave and someone suggesting, "Hey, why don't we consider hiring Joe Namath as head coach at Alabama"?

The very idea would be beyond insane.
Would you believe Sebastian Janikowski?

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
Neon Deion a candidate for FSU head coach. Say what?!

If this is for real, FSU should just drop football and be done with it.

Is it April Fool's in November or what?

EDIT: Oops, sorry forgot about the coaching carousel thread and didn't even think to check it first. Please ignore my ignorance and carry on....

Last edited:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Re: Neon Deion a candidate for FSU head coach. Say what?!

The thing about Florida State is they are the proverbial lottery winner than blows through their winnings within a couple of years. The lottery win for them was Bobby Bowden. Through Bowden, they got Fisher, and then you blink twice and all that lottery money is gone now.

In other words, they have regressed to the mean.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

That has to be disinformation put out as air cover for the real effort. If it’s for real (and I don’t think it is), FSU has slipped farther than anyone could have imagined.

Trouble is, if it really is a cover story, the timing’s all wrong. You would think that background investigations and gauging of interest through agents would be going on now.

The real search and negotiations cranking up in earnest as teams finish their seasons during / after Bowl season, and that’s when you need to distract the fans and media.

But FSU and UTe have slugged it out for the title of most spectacular clown car, circling a dumpster fire, which was started by a train wreck, I don’t put it out of the realm of possibility.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012

So...you keep Free Willie - sorry, Forever Free-Falling-Upward Willie - for the remainder of the season, and he mismanages Murphy's Law to win all the remaining games, upsetting the Gators only for FShoes U to fire him after a job well done.

Then you get a(n upward) groundswell of support for Taggart not having been given sufficient time to further hone his forever free-falling-upward act, in the hopes that some lost-in-space AD from oh, USC, comes along and snaps him up and takes that $17M buyout off FShoes U's ledger.

Well, yeah, that's a possibility, albeit remote. But instead you cut your losses at the most propitious point - for FShoes U - in that forever falling upward trajectory ol' Willie got launched on.

Bottom line, minus $17M: You take what you can get, given what you just got good riddance of, if you're FShoes U going after a new coach.

That has to be disinformation put out as air cover for the real effort. If it’s for real (and I don’t think it is), FSU has slipped farther than anyone could have imagined.

Trouble is, if it really is a cover story, the timing’s all wrong. You would think that background investigations and gauging of interest through agents would be going on now.

The real search and negotiations cranking up in earnest as teams finish their seasons during / after Bowl season, and that’s when you need to distract the fans and media.

But FSU and UTe have slugged it out for the title of most spectacular clown car, circling a dumpster fire, which was started by a train wreck, I don’t put it out of the realm of possibility.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

With Clemson dominating the ACC, with Florida improving under Mullen and Miami making some noise with Diaz, FSU is at the proverbial 4 Way Stop. It is their turn to go and their car has stalled. It is imperative that they make a splash hire if they are going to continue to compete in Florida's recruiting battles and regain its national prominence.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL

Didn’t he coach Pop Warner once? Or was that Snoop Dog?

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Schools need to stop this emotional response firing of head coaches.

It's not like FSU can interview anyone good right now.

I know we've had some major botchery here, but let's give Mal credit: announcing the Mike Dubious "resignation" (like he had a choice) between the UCF and LSU games in 2000 put our name out there with, "Hey, we're going to have an opening for a head coach". I realize FSU couldn't do that in this circumstance since it was a firing, but at the very least they should have waited until the morning after the Florida game.

All that's going to happen now is they might lose a decent candidate somewhere who doesn't want to be questioned about, "Are you going to be the next head coach at FSU?"
Is there room to park the 'Gus Bus' down there?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.