2019-20 Coaching Carousel

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
The only problem with Leach is that idk if he and our Boosters can [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]coexist. Leach is no BS type of guy and is not [/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]afraid to call out anyone, [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]including players.[/FONT][/FONT]
What if Lunney wins out?

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Any new Arkie coach needs to look carefully at the lack of a recruiting base...in the old SWC they could pull players from Texas with the promise of coming back home to play...not any more. Arkansas does not have enough home grown D-I players to stock a top level program. I doubt a top notch coach comes if they have other opportunities...

WPS

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 14, 2015
Any new Arkie coach needs to look carefully at the lack of a recruiting base...in the old SWC they could pull players from Texas with the promise of coming back home to play...not any more. Arkansas does not have enough home grown D-I players to stock a top level program. I doubt a top notch coach comes if they have other opportunities...
Petrino had a class ranked #16 once and Morris last year was around 20th. We typically recruit around the same as Ole Miss, Mississippi State, South Carolina, etc. No reason we should be getting blown out by Western Kentucky.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Talked with a close friend in Columbia, SC yesterday. He is fairly knowledgeable about USC athletics. I asked him about Muschamp's chances of survival, he said that the only thing the AD would say was that they would review the program after the season. Which is AD speak for "I have no idea what I am going to do". I think he has one more year.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
Talked with a close friend in Columbia, SC yesterday. He is fairly knowledgeable about USC athletics. I asked him about Muschamp's chances of survival, he said that the only thing the AD would say was that they would review the program after the season. Which is AD speak for "I have no idea what I am going to do". I think he has one more year.
Probably not a bad approach. If we've learned anything from the last few years, it's that firing the HC w/o a replacement lined up is a recipe for disaster.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Petrino had a class ranked #16 once and Morris last year was around 20th. We typically recruit around the same as Ole Miss, Mississippi State, South Carolina, etc. No reason we should be getting blown out by Western Kentucky.
Yes...but you cannot compete to win the SEC West by a high ranking of 16. Not going to happen...you've got to pull in Oklahoma and Texas athletes.

lowend

All-SEC
Feb 20, 2005
Yes...but you cannot compete to win the SEC West by a high ranking of 16. Not going to happen...you've got to pull in Oklahoma and Texas athletes.
Some of these schools would be much better off if they would try to quit winning the SEC west as long as you've got Saban, Orgeron, and Jimbo in the same division. Worry about beating their peer schools and lower OOC opponents.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Probably not a bad approach. If we've learned anything from the last few years, it's that firing the HC w/o a replacement lined up is a recipe for disaster.
He’s getting a solid foundation and steps up and beats people above his talent level on occasion, he just needs some consistency.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WPS

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 14, 2015
Some of these schools would be much better off if they would try to quit winning the SEC west as long as you've got Saban, Orgeron, and Jimbo in the same division. Worry about beating their peer schools and lower OOC opponents.
I don't think any Arkansas fans are expecting that though. We were performing way below expectations even if you qualify it to only beating peer schools and OOC opponents.

A top 20 class is still a very good class. Theoretically if you divide them all out equally between the P5 conferences that means that you (on paper) have talent that puts you in the top 4 of your conference. The unfortunate reality for a lot of SEC schools is that it doesn't work that way, the 20th class nationally puts you maybe 10th in the SEC.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
I figured as much...and the AD's are obvious idiots...obvious.
Why would any AD put a University and it's Boosters in such a predicament that $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ grows on trees. Budget wisely. Use DONATIONS from Boosters wisely. Uh, Coach, we are hiring you to WIN. If you do NOT WIN, there's the EXIT DOOR. When you EXIT we'll buy your family groceries for a month, but that's it!

Maybe they need to read the book of Proverbs so they can make administrative decisions WISELY.

Who controls what goes in a Coach's CONTRACT? Only the Coach's AGENT, who like the Coach is getting $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$? Well, I guess AD's who are Oblivious, Gullible, etc. are involved. Then the University's Board of Trustees/Regents, I guess, make the so-called final decision. Do all AD's have degrees in FINANCE. Have they ever taken any economics courses?

Maybe some coaches deserve astronomical salaries, like Coach Saban. Well, Muschamp has beaten Jawga, but who else has he beaten. Now, how successful was he at Florida, a state with so many athletes that if you are a good coach, you can win.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Arkansas has set themselves up for more pain.

As it stands now, 2 recruiting classes were recruited for basketball on grass. The upperclassmen were recruited for ground and pound. Two entirely different skill sets and physical attributes.

The first of those two classes was recruited under the huge handicap of a new guy coming in, having missed the December signing period, and only a few weeks until the February one, out of which time comes a couple of material dead periods.

They have effectively given themselves two options:

(1) Stay the course with offensive philosophy, figure you just had the wrong guy to execute the right idea, and limit yourself to those coaches. Or

(2) Switch philosophies again, resign yourself to two wasted recruiting classes (one of which was kind of wasted anyway), and further resign yourself to a second painful transition.

No good options there.

You would have to think the AD had been talking with coaches’ agents through black door channels. If so, they’ve done a masterful job of keeping mutual interest on the down low.

If they haven’t been doing that, just fired Morris because they were fed up, and don’t have several strong and interested candidates already identified, well, jthomas666 is right when he points out our problems in the 1990s and early 2000s.

Then there’s the perception thing within the coaching fraternity — contesting Bielema’s buyout (they might be right on that one, but it’s still a bad look), firing Morris after a year and a half. That’s not good for your rep within a close-knit group.

Hiring a new coach is almost always a gamble. But the combination of all those aggravating factors will make it hard to attract a coach who’s not more of a gamble than most.

When you advocate firing a coach in mid season for something other than misconduct, be careful what you wish for....you just might get it.

Last edited:

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Arkansas has set themselves up for more pain.

As it stands now, 2 recruiting classes were recruited for basketball on grass. The upperclassmen were recruited for ground and pound. Two entirely different skill sets and physical attributes.

The first of those two classes was recruited under the huge handicap of a new guy coming in, having missed the December signing period, and only a few weeks until the February one, out of which time comes a couple of material dead periods.

They have effectively given themselves two options:

(1) Stay the course with offensive philosophy, figure you just had the wrong guy to execute the right idea, and limit yourself to those coaches. Or

(2) Switch philosophies again, resign yourself to two wasted recruiting classes (one of which was kind of wasted anyway), and further resign yourself to a second painful transition.

No good options there.

You would have to think the AD had been talking with coaches’ agents through black door channels. If so, they’ve done a masterful job of keeping mutual interest on the down low.

If they haven’t been doing that, just fired Morris because they were fed up, and don’t have several strong and interested candidates already identified, well, jthomas666 is right when he points out our problems in the 1990s and early 2000s.

Then there’s the perception thing within the coaching fraternity — contesting Bielema’s buyout (they might be right on that one, but it’s still a bad look), firing Morris after a year and a half. That’s not good for your rep within a close-knit group.

Hiring a new coach is almost always a gamble. But the combination of all those aggravating factors will make it hard to attract a coach who’s not more of a gamble than most.

When you advocate firing a coach in mid season for something other than misconduct, be careful what you wish for....you just might get it.
With all due respect, I totally disagree. For instance if they hire the "Gus Bus" all those recruits whether they are basketball on grass or ground and pound, they will all be perfect fits for Gus's high powered, sugar huddle, whirly bird, check with me, go deep back shoulder throw, offense.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.